Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree with a lot of what you say except the political instability alarmism. The US political scene may be more divided and "exuberant" (always been and always will be compared to Canada) but it does not mean that there is political instability.

Canada is not immune to rioting as well and sometimes for really stupid reasons (for example the Vancouver riots)
Knowing our history is what gives me concern about our division. I think some of our neighbors in Canada are concerned as well. I hope your right and it's just "alarmism". Things are different now than they used to be, people are very angry and intolerant of opposing views. Democracy and freedom require more tolerance to others views or to losing an election than has been displayed here for the last ten or fifteen years. The last two years culminating in this vile election cycle have been the worst. We need to return to civility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 03:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What is the benefit of free movement to me and other Canadians who intend to remain in Canada?
Easy access to a much larger economy.

As an American, I have mixed feelings on the issue, but my gut says no thanks to a US/Canadian union.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:28 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Free movement, at least in an EU sense also means free movement of goods. There would no longer be tariffs or changes in price. It would likely, also like the EU, mean a common currency. Instead of dealing with a massive country filled with a market roughly the size of Texas, you'd be part of the largest economy in the world.
We already have a free trade agreement. I was asking what is the advantage to a resident Canadian of adding free movement to the mix.

As far as the EU arrangement is concerned, I would NOT like a new UNELECTED bureaucracy created making decisions and laws for both countries. I recall several months ago reading a comment from a British official saying in frustration that he spent a lot of his time just reading new regulations from Brussels.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Easy access to a much larger economy.

As an American, I have mixed feelings on the issue, but my gut says no thanks to a US/Canadian union.
I already have access. I buy a lot of goods on Amazon that originate in the U.S. I even used to sell on eBay U.S. before there was a Canadian site.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:50 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I already have access. I buy a lot of goods on Amazon that originate in the U.S. I even used to sell on eBay U.S. before there was a Canadian site.
When I sell to Canada, my buyers have to pay all sorts of taxes. When I buy from Canada, I pay nothing or only state sales tax if I'm the end consumer. There is no comparison.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Free movement of people between countries does not necessarily mean same currency....that would definitely not fly with both Canada and the US....Canada will never adopt the US dollar as currency and the US would never give up the USD.

I see more chances of a potential future free movement of people between Canada and USA than a common currency
Free movement of people no, of goods, yes in terms of efficiencies.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
A common currency would mean both nations give up theirs for the adoption of a North American dollar.( since both nations use dollar we can assume it would still be called a dollar) I'm betting it would have images of people and places from all over North America on it. Your right though, sovereignty concerns in both countries would make it a tough sell. What could make this happen?? If the Canadian and US dollars are both weak and suffering against other world currencies folks on both sides of border may look at it again. As long as we have prosperity there is no reason to do something radical like that.

The US would never go for the "Amero"....even less than Canada.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
The US would never go for the "Amero"....even less than Canada.
I don't know that I can ever use "never" again. Gretzky can be traded, and Trump can be elected.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Knowing our history is what gives me concern about our division. I think some of our neighbors in Canada are concerned as well. I hope your right and it's just "alarmism". Things are different now than they used to be, people are very angry and intolerant of opposing views. Democracy and freedom require more tolerance to others views or to losing an election than has been displayed here for the last ten or fifteen years. The last two years culminating in this vile election cycle have been the worst. We need to return to civility.

I can reply to you with my father in law words: "We survived the 60s and 70s...this is literally nothing....."

Old 01-25-2017, 04:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
I really shouldn't bite, since I believe this is just going to be another Canada bashing thread, with Saturno at the helm.

My take. The majority of Canadians would never go for it. Unlike the EU, the US is the elephant to the mouse. A common currency would take away a significant portion of Canada'a sovereignty. Much more so than in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada