Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed when looking at Toronto and Montreal is that Montreal or at least the nabe's in the city proper seem to have pretty impressive uniform low to mid-rise density. Old Toronto is like this as well but not to the extent of Montreal city proper. Old Toronto's mid-rise density is more prevalent on commercial arterials with less dense Victorian Bay and Gable type residential housing intersecting those commercial arterials. Montreal on the other hand has this more prevalent low-midrise rowhouse/triplex type density across the board including residential streets. Both cities have this ongoing pre WWII type residential/commercial density that just goes on forever. I think in this way they are more similar than any other two cities in the country - this sort of large swaths of Pre WWII residential/commercial bones.

On the flip side, Montreal doesn't have nearly as many highrises as Toronto, so Toronto's density has more clustered nodes of much higher density than Montreal. This is why when you get down to Census tracts or Dissemination areas, Toronto can pretty much slaughter other cities in Canada in terms of clustered areas of high density. Vancouver is like this in a way, just not to the extent of Toronto. In this way Vancouver and Toronto share more similarities than with Montreal. One Dissemination area in Toronto within St Jamestown has over 100K people in .07 sq kms - totally insane! Toronto's contiguous urbanized area is also much larger than Montreal, so you obviously feel like on a macro level you are in a bigger city and metro but on street level, and in particular random residential streets in Montreal city proper vs Toronto city proper, you'd almost feel as though Montreal is bigger. Even nabe's close to the DT core of Toronto can feel surprisingly 'homey' but then suddenly you hit a highrise cluster or node with much higher density and it smacks you in the head that this is the largest city in Canada pretty quickly.

I think a big part of this is due to the fact that Montreal was the largest city in Canada up until the middle of the 20th century, so the density was a reflection of the time. Toronto has been the largest city in Canada for the last 70 or so years and its density is a reflection of built form reflecting this period which is more highrise in nature. If Toronto continues to grow over the next 50 years as it has over the last 50, I think its going to be an incredibly highrise city with a massive DT core that will become very Hong kongish which we are already starting to see over the last decade.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-27-2017 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
One thing I've noticed when looking at Toronto and Montreal is that Montreal or at least the nabe's in the city proper seem to have pretty impressive uniform low to mid-rise density. Old Toronto is like this as well but not to the extent of Montreal city proper. Old Toronto's mid-rise density is more prevalent on commercial arterials with less dense Victorian Bay and Gable type residential housing intersecting those commercial arterials. Montreal on the other hand has this more prevalent low-midrise rowhouse/triplex type density across the board including residential streets. Both cities have this ongoing pre WWII type residential/commercial density that just goes on forever. I think in this way they are more similar than any other two cities in the country - this sort of large swaths of Pre WWII residential/commercial bones.

On the flip side, Montreal doesn't have nearly as many highrises as Toronto, so Toronto's density has more clustered nodes of much higher density than Montreal. This is why when you get down to Census tracts or Dissemination areas, Toronto can pretty much slaughter other cities in Canada in terms of clustered areas of high density. Vancouver is like this in a way, just not to the extent of Toronto. One Dissemination area in Toronto within St Jamestown has over 100K people in .07 sq kms - totally insane! Toronto's contiguous urbanized area is also much larger than Montreal, so you obviously feel like on a macro level you are in a bigger city and metro but on street level, and in particular random residential streets in Montreal city proper vs Toronto city proper, you'd almost feel as though Montreal is bigger. Even nabe's close to the DT core of Toronto can feel surprisingly 'homey' but then suddenly you hit a highrise cluster or node with much higher density and it smacks you in the head that this is the largest city in Canada pretty quickly.

I think a big part of this is due to the fact that Montreal was the largest city in Canada up until the middle of the 20th century, so the density was a reflection of the time. Toronto has been the largest city in Canada for the last 70 or so years and its density is a reflection of built form reflecting this period which is more highrise in nature. If Toronto continues to grow over the next 50 years as it has over the last 50, I think its going to be an incredibly highrise city with a massive DT core that will become very Hong kongish.
Good points. One nitpick: Toronto only became Canada's largest city around 1980, so about 40 years ago.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good points. One nitpick: Toronto only became Canada's largest city around 1980, so about 40 years ago.
Nitpick your nitpick 1 lol... Montreal was bigger than Toronto up until 1998 before amalgamation - however that is just a result of those silly arbitrary borders. I think at one point North York had more people than Toronto (Old Toronto).

Nitpick your nitpick 2... I think as a CMA or metro area Toronto matched Montreal in the 50's and started to pull ahead in the 60's.. I should have clarified earlier about metro vs city.

If i'm wrong though nitpick away by all means

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nitpick your nitpick 1 lol... Montreal was bigger than Toronto up until 1998 before amalgamation - however that is just a result of those silly arbitrary borders. I think at one point North York had more people than Toronto (Old Toronto).

Nitpick your nitpick 2... I think as a CMA or metro area Toronto matched Montreal in the 50's and started to pull ahead in the 60's.. I should have clarified earlier about metro vs city.

If i'm wrong though nitpick away by all means
Well, I was using CMAs (which I always do when ranking cities), and I am pretty sure that it was around 1980 that Toronto CMA overtook Montreal CMA.

If we're talking city proper, I think at one point just before the megacity merger Calgary was bigger than Toronto, and was Canada's second largest "city" behind Montreal.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, I was using CMAs (which I always do when ranking cities), and I am pretty sure that it was around 1980 that Toronto CMA overtook Montreal CMA.

You are correct - well more correct than me!

http://books.mongabay.com/population...al-Canada.html

http://books.mongabay.com/population...to-Canada.html

In 1975 metro Toronto had 2.77 million vs 2.79 for metro Montreal. In 1980 Montreal had 2.8 million and Toronto 3.00 million. Realistically the tipping point in Metro Toronto's favour probably occurred in 1976. By 1977 metro Toronto was ahead. I would have thought it was earlier given the current size of the GTA/Horseshoe vs Greater Montreal these days but 43 years is a long time still.. What might have thrown me off was growth rates in that by the 50's metro Toronto was probably growing faster than Greater Montreal.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-27-2017 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada