Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 08:38 AM

14 posts, read 24,317 times

Advertisements

I have searched and searched and have not found an exact answer so firstly, I apologize if I missed the answer somewhere in the forums! Secondly, thank you for any help you can offer!

My husband and I currently live in Boulder, Colorado. We are looking for the right town to settle in and buy a house and unfortunately Boulder pricing will not work for us. We have been hunting (visiting) various towns for the past two years and have yet to find a good match. Outside of the Boulder area where we live, Steamboat Springs, CO has been the place we love most. Steamboat is a place we love, but the weather[SO much snow] + Remote location[3.5 hours to airport] + Pricing[similar to Boulder] won't work for us long-term.

If there is a place in Canada that fits the bill, please let me know!

Here are the MOST important things to us:
-Climate (we need sunny days & are not a fan of really gray winters)
-Amenities (we love small towns, but would like a place that has a restaurant scene outside of chain restaurants & coffee shops, etc.)
-We can deal with a remote place, but everything else (weather, pricing, amenities, etc.) would have to be on point.
-Pricing (we would like to be able to buy a 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom/2 car garage house that is updated for under $500k).
-We really love mountains and it would be difficult for us to live in a place with a flat landscape.
-I am a teacher so I can work anywhere and my husband works remotely as a computer engineer so the job market is not an issue.
-We want a town that has unique, locally owned restaurants. If chain restaurants are the main source of dining, then we are most likely not interested in the area. We really do not want to live in Suburbia, so places like Louisville/Lafayette/Longmont/Broomfield/Arvada/Westminster will NOT work for us. I know that there are pockets of quaint/ local restaurants in these places, but these towns are mostly composed of cookie-cutter neighborhoods and that is a big turn off for us.
-A neutral religious/political scene. We are not active in either of those areas and would rather everyone go about doing their own thing without pressure from one end or the other.
-A walkable downtown is an added bonus!

We have visited the following towns and they were not right for us for one reason or another: Asheville,NC / Austin, TX / Bend, OR / Ashland, OR / Eugene, OR / Corvallis, OR / Portland, OR / Seattle, WA / Logan, UT / Flagstaff, AZ / Missoula, MT / Bozeman, MT / San Francisco, CA / San Diego, CA / Coeur d' Alene, ID/ Pretty much every town in Colorado

Again, I in no way want to offend anyone with my opinions. I would just REALLY appreciate the help & ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 09:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Canada is not easy to immigrate to permanently. I'd read up on that before spending much time considering specific spots.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
You can find a a job anywhere as a teacher? Around here that wouldn't be true, teaching jobs are highly competitive and next to impossible to get. That said, maybe Nelson, BC if you could swing it.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
The post made me think of these lyrics from that song from the Rolling Stones.

"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need"

OP, I don't believe there is any place in Canada that would be suitable enough for you (not even Nelson) and just about everything would be too expensive for you.

I've seen several of your other posts, seen what you say you want and seen the reasons you've given for why so many other places you've investigated were not good enough for you. Based on the reasons you've given for why all those other places weren't suitable, (and I personally think some of those reasons were minor, a bit spoiled and unreasonable) I believe there is nothing in Canada that would make you happy and that you wouldn't find fault with.

I'd like to suggest that you lower your expectations somewhat and instead of making a list and looking for what you want perhaps you could try making a list of what you actually need and go from there.

I don't think you will find what you want anywhere but if you try to be more practical, lower your sights a bit, you could find you get what you need.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:21 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Winter sunshine could be tough....maybe you check out these towns...

Nelson, BC
Cranbrook, BC
Canmore, Alberta
Hinton, Alberta
Fernie, BC
Golden, BC

Old 02-11-2017, 05:33 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Like most of the other posters (from Canada) I don't think emigration to Canada will be that easy for you. They can afford to be choosy. But goodness, there are tons of places in the US you could consider.

Here's an off the wall suggestion: the hill country of Texas is full of great scenery, rolling hills, and many small towns that might fit the bill.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Like most of the other posters (from Canada) I don't think emigration to Canada will be that easy for you. They can afford to be choosy. But goodness, there are tons of places in the US you could consider.

Here's an off the wall suggestion: the hill country of Texas is full of great scenery, rolling hills, and many small towns that might fit the bill.
Not a bad suggestion, if Texas hill country is too hot for you, higher elevation NM
might work, like Santa Fe, Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, and Taos.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Couple of possibilities that may check some of your boxes ,
Santa Fe NM=https://santafe.org/
Asheville NC=https://www.asheville.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada