U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 AM

384 posts, read 1,571,601 times

Advertisements

Are Canadians concerned that the issues that are plaguing America will be seeping over into your country now that more and more people are looking to migrate to Canada oppose to the United States? Are you concerned about cheap labor, higher costs, increased crime rates and changes in governmental policies? Do you think the issues that we have here in America will now become a Canadian issue?
Though I am sure that some of you are flattered that more countries are looking at Canada for a better life instead of America, there must be some growing concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,745,731 times
Changing government policies?

Never, or not anytime soon. We have a Conservative federal government that has advertised that it wants to get tough on immigration.

Are you concerned about cheap labor, higher costs, increased crime rates?

Not really. There are only a few places illegal immigrants are going to in Canada. Perhaps Windsor, our most southern city close to Detroit, is experiencing this.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 AM

309 posts, read 1,244,756 times
People have been coming to Montreal with "refugee" status through the States. Probably through Windsor. A friend of mine has a multi-unit apt. building and he has a connection with someone working at immigration. They have been sending Mexican folks, mostly men, to my friend and they have lived three to four per apt. unit. They get a lot of help via welfare checks but when I asked about them most were deported back to Mexico.

Recently in the news here a baby died from shaken baby syndrome and the parents are refugees. They took off before the authorities could come and arrest them since the baby died of its injuries. They were refuges from Haiti that came in through the States.

Ten to fourteen years ago we rarely saw any graffiti around Montreal and now it is all over the place. It's too late. There are gangs now and the increase of crime that comes with it. I still feel pretty safe but maybe I am being naive. I am not saying that there is a lot of crime here but I certainly see it coming in compared to a couple of decades ago. I also think the courts are much too lax on criminals here.

Last edited by cazelais; 03-03-2008 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 AM

384 posts, read 1,571,601 times
So basically there seem to be a growing concern..which is of course very natural.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 15,759 times
Why do you ask questions that way? You seem to think Canada is on a different planet and you are so much better than the rest of the world when in reality you have the same problems as all countries do; poverty, sickness, drunks, drug users, dope dealers, rapist, child molesters, thieves, I could go on and on. Being Canadian doesn't open any doors for anyone. Your society is based on everything that goes on in the United States. You wouldn't be Canada if the United States never came to be. You would be called Russia. I don't take pride in the U.S.A. because pride is just a; If things are going right then yes I have pride but when the chips are down and there is no silver lineing pride is not on my mind. So, I take pride in doing a good career move or building something but to say I have pride in my country that in its self has no soul or whatever is like giving myself for emptyness in return. Yes I will protect my land but I don't do it for pride, I do it for survival.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,901,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Though I am sure that some of you are flattered that more countries are looking at Canada for a better life instead of America, there must be some growing concerns.
"Flattered"? Do you think we have had no immigration prior?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,406,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Why do you ask questions that way? You seem to think Canada is on a different planet and you are so much better than the rest of the world when in reality you have the same problems as all countries do; poverty, sickness, drunks, drug users, dope dealers, rapist, child molesters, thieves, I could go on and on. Being Canadian doesn't open any doors for anyone. Your society is based on everything that goes on in the United States. You wouldn't be Canada if the United States never came to be. You would be called Russia. I don't take pride in the U.S.A. because pride is just a; If things are going right then yes I have pride but when the chips are down and there is no silver lineing pride is not on my mind. So, I take pride in doing a good career move or building something but to say I have pride in my country that in its self has no soul or whatever is like giving myself for emptyness in return. Yes I will protect my land but I don't do it for pride, I do it for survival.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,081,914 times
New member mrlee seems to be a disgruntled, 10-year resident of the Calgary area who wishes to express his displeasure with Canada by dredging up year-old posts and stirring the pot.

Perhaps, he will get over his resentment enough to make contributions to more contemporary threads,

Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,889,320 times
Has the OP done research on migration statistics? There is a CIC website that shows that for every 1 American migrating to the Canada there are 3 Canadians migrating to the US.

And with EVERY American government change people always chatter about moving to Canada. You heard this twice in 2000 and 2004 when Bush was elected/re-elected. Now I hear conservatives talking about moving to Canada. Its mostly all chatter.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM

351 posts, read 2,099,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Are Canadians concerned that the issues that are plaguing America will be seeping over into your country now that more and more people are looking to migrate to Canada oppose to the United States? Are you concerned about cheap labor, higher costs, increased crime rates and changes in governmental policies? Do you think the issues that we have here in America will now become a Canadian issue?
In reading the original post, it seems to be that issues that most industrialized countries have (crime rate, increased living costs, etc.) are being blamed on immigration alone. Subsequent posts have mentioned "increased graffitti" and gangs, as if they were the result of immigration and not other factors (e.g., changes in the distribution of wealth, socio-economic phenomena, etc.).

Those statements, as they stand, seem to be more of a confirmatory nature (i.e., "I want to confirm that there are growing concerns") that investigative nature (i.e., "I would be interested in knowing whether...").

As someone who is going through the paperwork to immigrate to Canada and leave the US, I have to say that there are still more job opportunities and higher salaries in the US. I know I will be taking a pay cut as I move to Canada. But I chose that country because of what it offers in terms of life style, not standard of living. I'm not sure many other people would do the same (make less money but feel more comfortable), so I could not tell that there are more people immigrating to Canada than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada