Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

Our family has decided to return to Ontario after 30 years in the US for numerous reasons. I'm a citizen and still keep a Canadian passport. It's been a while and I'm doing my best to research the changes given that I was 9 when my family moved to the states.

My primary concern is continuity of care for my daughter. She has bipolar disorder. After trips in and out of the hospitals for years, she's finally stable and doing very well. She's excited for the move and would like to attend U of T (she's an honors student and athlete). My concern is ensuring that she continues to get the proper care she needs. One of the medications she takes is a controlled substance and has severe withdrawal that could result in seizures if she misses it. How do we bridge that gap between care here in the US and moving back to Canada?

The family is ready to go forward, but my child comes before anything else. Can anyone shed any light on how to prepare for this? How soon would she be able to get in with a GP to get referred to a psychiatrist? Would the GP continue to prescribe her medications as long as we provided documentation from her psychiatrist in the states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I imagine she is a citizen as well, so immediately eligible after the waiting period. Unlike what Michael Moore portrayed in Sicko people can no longer just cross the border and see a doctor for free.

Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) - Ministry Programs - Public Information - MOHLTC

"OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period."

This site may help:

Where can I buy private health insurance for newcomers and visitors to Canada?

I would try and get a 90 day supply just in case, but depending on the drug schedule she may only get a 30 day supply. I would ask your current doctor for 3 prescriptions - one current date, one 30 days out and one 60 days out. Worst case a pharmacy should be able to fill it for cash.

Also, make sure you check that the medication is covered under OHIP's formulary.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 AM

Thank you! Most helpful. Will she have trouble getting in to see a doctor? Is three months enough time and do GPs work with mental health?

Old 02-19-2017, 09:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGA_88 View Post
Thank you! Most helpful. Will she have trouble getting in to see a doctor? Is three months enough time and do GPs work with mental health?
Each province is a bit different but in my province GPs can and do prescribe for mental health issues, if that's what you mean. And would admit mental health patients to hospitals if necessary, and also refer to psychiatrists. I don't know how hard it is to find a family doctor in Ontario. Because of your daughter's issues, I think to be on the safe side, I would call clinics well before moving to see which GPs are accepting new patients.

But there are also walk-in clinics which are staffed by doctors. I understand that walk-in clinics in the US are not. Walk-in clinics can be a good stop gap until you find a doctor who is accepting new patients and whom you feel comfortable with.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Each province is a bit different but in my province GPs can and do prescribe for mental health issues, if that's what you mean. And would admit mental health patients to hospitals if necessary, and also refer to psychiatrists. I don't know how hard it is to find a family doctor in Ontario. Because of your daughter's issues, I think to be on the safe side, I would call clinics well before moving to see which GPs are accepting new patients.

But there are also walk-in clinics which are staffed by doctors. I understand that walk-in clinics in the US are not. Walk-in clinics can be a good stop gap until you find a doctor who is accepting new patients and whom you feel comfortable with.

This is false unless you go into a CVS Minute Clinic. Carry on with the discussion as I don't want to derail it. Just wanted to clear that up.

Good luck OP.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

This is false unless you go into a CVS Minute Clinic. Carry on with the discussion as I don't want to derail it. Just wanted to clear that up.

Good luck OP.
Okay, thanks. .

Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 AM

Hummm. This I need to clear up. Are you referring to urgent care or a "minute clinic" like what you find in Target, Return2FL? There's not one walk-in clinic in the US I can think of that I could take my daughter to who would prescribe her medication while we wait to be seen at her regular clinic. I would be referred immediately to my family practice doctor and the walk-in clinic wouldn't go anywhere near it. Walk-in clinics are for cuts, scrapes, bruises, strep throat, yeast infections, etc. in the US. Think there might be some confusion here between a US vs. Canadian walk-in clinic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but google walk-in clinics and US. You'll see what I mean.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Just for the record--- you could never just cross the border and see a doctor for free...there was always a waiting period.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Just for the record--- you could never just cross the border and see a doctor for free...there was always a waiting period.
"Never's" a word I would not have used unless linking it with "legally":

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - NYTimes.com

The newer photo identity health cards are a direct result of healthcare being obtained fraudulently.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 AM

776 posts, read 955,929 times
To the original poster.

Take a look at the Women's College Hospital, family care unit. They cover all types of medical care for adults of either gender. The WCH is located in downtown TO right next to the St George campus of U of T.

The WCH has a unique motto ." We are the hospital that keeps you out of the hospital ".

Although WCH has inpatient beds, the vast majority of their services are focused on treatment that is done on a day patient basis.

The family care unit has access to every service that the hospital provides. There are four complete teams of MD's nurses and social workers. Each team has 10 MD's and 6 nurses, and the clinics hours are 9am to 6 pm Monday to Friday. You see the same MD on each visit, and they can send you across the street to have any type of test or procedure, at once. My experience is that if I have a appointment at 2pm, the MD is there and waiting to see me. Booking a follow up appointment is done with the unit secretary before you leave the unit. If needed I can phone and get an appointment within a day.

My Wife and I have been family care patients for 10 years, and we are very happy with our medical care.

Note. OHIP requires a 3 month period of time, to establish being a resident of Ontario. Service Ontario is the Provincial one stop place for getting your OHIP cards, Ontario driving licences , and all other Provincially issued documents .

link to WCH family care website .Women's College Hospital - Family Practice Health Centre (FPHC)

link to Service Ontario website https://www.ontario.ca/page/serviceontario
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada