Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,393,507 times

Advertisements

This has been a long time in the making and finally it's arrived.

Canada's defence minister states that at this time maintaining the status quo as regards military budgeting is not an option.

Canadian Armed Forces suffering from underfunding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,784,505 times
no worries big brother to the south will protect you.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,754,533 times
One thing that has been pretty consistent between Liberals and Conservatives in Canada is that when in power, neither really breaks that 1 percent of GDP toward Defense spending. It would be nice to see the Liberals rise to the occasion and bring us closer to the 2 percent that other NATO countries are moving towards. I don't agree with Trump much but I actually do agree that the U.S has been shouldering more burden than it should and that countries like Canada should put more towards defense spending. Like can we get on with a fighter replacement decision yet. Sheesh.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Its something I don't think we should fully bank on. I prefer Canada do more to take care of its own issues. Reliance on the U.S for too much including trade is a big mistake that we have or should have learned is not in our long term best interest - especially with this new President who has shown that historic close ties and amicable relations on the whole aren't as important to him as his predecessors - he is a far more transactional leader and we have to assume the U.S could have leaders like him from now on. I would add defense to that as well. The two will always be integrated heavily with Trade and Defense but we certainly need to look more beyond one country for both. I'm all in and all for it!

Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Geez. I should have learned by now how to edit the dang title I created...... "Gorssly"? Good grief!

Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
One thing that has been pretty consistent between Liberals and Conservatives in Canada is that when in power, neither really breaks that 1 percent of GDP toward Defense spending. It would be nice to see the Liberals rise to the occasion and bring us closer to the 2 percent that other NATO countries are moving towards. I don't agree with Trump much but I actually do agree that the U.S has been shouldering more burden than it should and that countries like Canada should put more towards defense spending. Like can we get on with a fighter replacement decision yet. Sheesh.
Right on the button as usual Fusion!

Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Geez. I should have learned by now how to edit the dang title I created...... "Gorssly"? Good grief!
Ha don't mind Bru - the human brain has a tendency to be very forgiving when it comes such cases and can follow along and fill gaps without being conscious of it. People might not have even noticed until you brought it up. I saw grossly I promise

Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM

7,667 posts, read 5,447,902 times

Old 05-03-2017, 09:07 PM

^^^
lol thank Cdnirene

Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 PM

3,605 posts, read 3,354,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
That's what a lot of Americans seem to think, but in fact, Canada is mostly protected by geography. Still, the Canadian Forces are great at what they do, and I have every reason to believe that they (with or without NATO) could capably defend us if it came down to it.

Regardless, we have been neglecting our military for far too long. It's not just modern arguments about fighter jets and Navy ships and obsolete helicopters; it's also shutting down CFBs--gone are Downsview, Summerside, Cornwallis, and so many more. It's not presenting the military as a valid career option to high school students--I recall a long-ago high school friend who was interested in the military, and the school guidance office tried to talk him out of it. And it's worrying about the cost of equipment and munitions--as a CF friend told me, "When the Americans shoot off a missile on the test range, they go, 'Oooooh!' When Canadians shoot off a missile on the test range, they go, 'There's another hundred thousand bucks gone'."

I realize that the Canadian government has a number of budgetary obligations, and I'm not suggesting that the military be at the top of the pile. But it would be nice if the government removed it from its customary place at the bottom of the pile, made it an attractive career option, and got us to the point when a test range launch has us going "Oooooh!" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada