Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,521,066 times

Advertisements

Spouse & myself are planning to recreate a trip we took up the Alcan to Alaska over 20 years ago...before cell phones. We don't have smartphones now, just use Tracfones, which cost about $20 at places like Walmart, & then you purchase prepaid minutes for talk & text. We don't need Internet, the phone would just be for making local calls or if there is an emergency. We'll be traveling through BC & Yukon, as I remember.

Any suggestions? I already googled this, no info., unless you're talking smartphone. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 14,995,043 times
I know nothing about cell phones so can't advise you about cheap, prepaid cell phones. But it occurs to me that access or reception up there through high mountains, low valleys and isolated wilderness may be spotty to totally non-existent at most places along the way except for when you are actually passing through larger towns where there are towers. You might want to do some research about maps and available coverages in the north country before settling for something that might not work for you when you are alone in the boonies. Maybe there's some info here that will help:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=cell+p...9BB6B5B1B7D774

Old 05-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Thank you for the link.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,534,497 times
We went up through BC and Yukon last year on a trip to Alaska. What a fabulous trip! As Zoisite said, the cell phone service is spotty or non-existent. There are now so many people traveling up there with motor homes and travel trailers, you won't be stranded for long if you have car problems. Word of advice: take two spare tires for each vehicle!

The thing that got to me was all the campgrounds advertising Wifi. IF you were lucky and sat right AT the campground office, it worked, but even then, most times you lose connections to the point of wanting to scream LOL If you are located a distance away from the office, forget it, Wifi never worked.

Enjoy your trip! Are you traveling on the Top of the World Highway? Wow! what an experience...the road is rough, treacherous and sometimes downright scary because of no guard rails, but I'd do it again! I was never so happy to see the little settlement of Chicken half way through LOL.

Oh, and get to the ferry EARLY if you are crossing the Yukon river at Dawson City. LONG wait times because the ferry is so small. Dawson City is an awesome little town. Try to take a day to shop in the quaint little gift shops if you like that kind of thing.

Homer Spit AK, another cool place to visit (and go fishing for Halibut if you like fishing)

Old 05-14-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We went up through BC and Yukon last year on a trip to Alaska. What a fabulous trip! As Zoisite said, the cell phone service is spotty or non-existent. There are now so many people traveling up there with motor homes and travel trailers, you won't be stranded for long if you have car problems. Word of advice: take two spare tires for each vehicle!

The thing that got to me was all the campgrounds advertising Wifi. IF you were lucky and sat right AT the campground office, it worked, but even then, most times you lose connections to the point of wanting to scream LOL If you are located a distance away from the office, forget it, Wifi never worked.

Enjoy your trip! Are you traveling on the Top of the World Highway? Wow! what an experience...the road is rough, treacherous and sometimes downright scary because of no guard rails, but I'd do it again! I was never so happy to see the little settlement of Chicken half way through LOL.

Oh, and get to the ferry EARLY if you are crossing the Yukon river at Dawson City. LONG wait times because the ferry is so small. Dawson City is an awesome little town. Try to take a day to shop in the quaint little gift shops if you like that kind of thing.

Homer Spit AK, another cool place to visit (and go fishing for Halibut if you like fishing)

Thanks for your post! Yep, we're planning on doing the above...this time, we don't have to stick to a time schedule...no jobs or schools to get back to.

Another thing we did that was completely spontaneous & unplanned...took the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert (I think it was Prince Rupert). It was a great way to see the Inside Passage, a lot cheaper than a cruise. Don't know if one the dogs we now have would handle it that well.

Any other suggestions are welcome...I'm trying to remember everything we did, & what we didn't have time for on the 1st trip.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:56 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
If cell phone communication is very important you could look into buying or renting a satellite cell phone.=
Satellite Phones vs. The Cellular Phone Globalstar - Comparison at GlobalCom

While these phones can pick up a signal anywhere on the globe they certainly dont come cheap.=
https://www.amazon.com/satellite-cel...0cell%20phones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada