Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:02 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well let's say some industrious (but incredibly stupid) criminal actually dares to swim across a fairly fast moving river to then do what? run for an hour to dry off? ...

I can assure you any thief willing to go to the trouble of risking his life swimming a river to commit a crime in a foreign country to then attempt to steal a car to then return to the U.S. would probably find himself undergoing a psychiatric assessment faster than you can say "I need a lawyer"

Thieves can be stupid people but I've yet to meet one that dumb..
There does not always have to be a logical or reasonable explanation to justify someone's behavior, some men just want to watch the world burn. Some may just commit crimes in Canada for fun. It's a great story to tell your grandchildren: 'When grandpa was younger, he'd swim to Canada to steal cars'. Anyway, Windsor's unfavorable location puts it potentially at risk, that's really what I wanted to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 03:06 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
I've stood on the Windsor shore, and watched the lakers pass by. Given the river current, the river width (about half a mile), ship traffic, and the like, I'd say that any swimmer would be foolish to try it.

Add to that the fact that the US Border Patrol and Canadian Border Services Agency keep a close watch, and I'd say that it would be foolish to try. Any swimmer would be spotted long before he or she made it.

Windsor is not at risk from swimmers looking to steal cars. It's mostly at risk from Americans on floating craft who get blown into Canada by the wind, and who have no way to get back home.

Cite: Port Huron Float Down: Winds blow 1,500 U.S. boaters into Sarnia, Ont. | CTV News

It's still another international border, unlike in Europe.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:04 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
There does not always have to be a logical or reasonable explanation to justify someone's behavior, some men just want to watch the world burn. Some may just commit crimes in Canada for fun. It's a great story to tell your grandchildren: 'When grandpa was younger, he'd swim to Canada to steal cars'. Anyway, Windsor's unfavorable location puts it potentially at risk, that's really what I wanted to say.
There is more than enough potential crime to commit in Detroit (incl. cars to steal) that these guys don't need to cross the border.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:46 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Quote:
Actually Windsor's location is one of the best things about the city, southern most city in a colder country and right next to an American metro of 4.5M with all of the cultural and entertainment options that go with it. Windsor hasn't suffered yet "from this "unfavourable" location, it's always one of the safest cities in Canada, so maybe you shouldn't worry about such ridiculous things.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:47 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
I've heard people even swim across the river in summer. So hypothetically, an ambitious seasoned criminal could swim across the border to Canada, engage in illegal activities there like steal a few cars before heading back to Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Actually Windsor's location is one of the best things about the city, southern most city in a colder country and right next to an American metro of 4.5M with all of the cultural and entertainment options that go with it. Windsor hasn't suffered yet "from this "unfavourable" location, it's always one of the safest cities in Canada, so maybe you shouldn't worry about such ridiculous things.
I think your N/A crime fetish is known Canadians were pretty reasonable in a thread with CRIME as a key word. But they surely will remember for next time. That last response should tell you.

I do the opposite. I avoid threads about crime and politics. But I'm sure you love some American TV shows. Like a current one titled
https://www.netflix.com/title/70281312

https://www.netflix.com/title/

We are polar opposites as I'm no fan of mindgames and crime drama rep or fabricated for television and movies. So I'd say befriend others who are to make a buddy....

Maybe fusion2 will. Just don't try to argue on Toronto crime. Might not be too Buddy then. But you can bring up American crime. Maybe some will take the bait and feed the fetish? Leave me out. Stick to Detroit too, since I never go into city threads I don't know. Especially, to talk crime.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:04 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Maybe fusion2 will. Just don't try to argue on Toronto crime. Might not be too Buddy then. But you can bring up American crime. Maybe some will take the bait and feed the fetish? Leave me out. Stick to Detroit too, since I never go into city threads I don't know. Especially, to talk crime.
OMG Dave really - you still manage to come in here and say my name and Toronto. Wtf is going on with you and Toronto Dave? When are you going to tell me the truth about what is going on lol.. If you look in this thread, I didn't say a single solitary thing throwing any shade at any city in the U.S re crime rates. As a matter of fact I was ribbing DRRO because he goes over the top with his U.S crime analytics and 'observations' - clearly someone who doesn't live in or even visited the U.S (I've visited dozens of U.S cities including the 'bad' ones). I've been to Detroit 4 times - its only a 4 hour drive from T.O and I've never had a problem. I know where to go and where not to go.. Well actually one time I did drive into a shady part and I'm still here to tell the tale. I am glad my car didn't break down though lol.

As for crime in Toronto - its pretty unremarkable in Canada on a per cap basis. I think the only part of the list it registered was homelessness which doesn't surprise me given that because its the largest city, it attracts the most people around the country to it. That all said, if you want to argue Toronto crime with me go ahead Dave.. Any crime is too much in my opinion but for a city its size it really performs well in crime stats, especially when you look at it through a per cap lens. 2016 saw a spike in gun violence over previous years but 2017 is actually down from 16. This has happened before where we saw occasional spikes in certain years. The trend is generally going up over time in absolute numbers of course, but Toronto ain't getting smaller so this is to be expected.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-14-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-14-2017, 11:54 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
For the record - this thread was purely on track to stay on topic about Canada's 20 most dangerous cities or really the cities in Canada which have the worst stats based on 20 issues related to crime.

Anyway, it wasn't until post 8 when someone from outside Canada made reference to the U.S. I wanted to bring that up for the record because often times CAD posters do discuss our in house issues but invariable it is an outsider who comes in and throws U.S comparisons into the fray.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:09 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Yes, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the US, can we stop being a foreign country into this discussion?

OMG, it is becoming unbearable -- when someone talks about housing price, the US will be mentioned and compared; weather, the US will come into the picture, crimes, again, American cities. Can we f*cking stop doing that?

canadians should learn to talk without making reference to the US at all. How many the damn threads here can go on to the 3rd thread without the US being dragged into the discussion? it is pathetic.

Americans should learn not to be obsessed by your own country and stop bring your cities and country to other sub-forums. It happens in the Europe forum, Asian forum, everywhere. Yes, it is an American website, but it doesn't mean everything has to do with America.

Can we ban the next person who keeps talking about US crimes in this thread? Thanks!!! If you want to talk about the US, go to the damn US forum.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Canada actually has 20 cities?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the US, can we stop being a foreign country into this discussion?

OMG, it is becoming unbearable -- when someone talks about housing price, the US will be mentioned and compared; weather, the US will come into the picture, crimes, again, American cities. Can we f*cking stop doing that?

canadians should learn to talk without making reference to the US at all. How many the damn threads here can go on to the 3rd thread without the US being dragged into the discussion? it is pathetic.

Americans should learn not to be obsessed by your own country and stop bring your cities and country to other sub-forums. It happens in the Europe forum, Asian forum, everywhere. Yes, it is an American website, but it doesn't mean everything has to do with America.

Can we ban the next person who keeps talking about US crimes in this thread? Thanks!!! If you want to talk about the US, go to the damn US forum.
Breathe Botti, breathe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada