U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 AM

449 posts, read 279,221 times

Advertisements

Please pardon my ignorant American post, but I've been following the Canadian conservative leadership race and I'm shocked that Maxime Bernier lost. I thought Canadian conservatives tended to be more fiscally conservative rather than socially, and Scheer is against gay marriage and abortion. He seems even more conservative than Donald Trump! I wonder how he'll fare in 2019?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:09 AM

5,691 posts, read 6,534,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Please pardon my ignorant American post, but I've been following the Canadian conservative leadership race and I'm shocked that Maxime Bernier lost. I thought Canadian conservatives tended to be more fiscally conservative rather than socially, and Scheer is against gay marriage and abortion. He seems even more conservative than Donald Trump! I wonder how he'll fare in 2019?
It doesn't matter so much in Canada who the leader is of a political party as we vote for the members of parliament. I haven't been following the leadership race all that closely as my husband was in the hospital, but the Conservatives are not going to revisit abortion or gay marriage. It's just not going to happen. Sheer himself has said there's no appetite in the party for bringing those issues up as there are many people in the Conservative Party that aren't anti-abortion or anti gay marriage. Those are his private views which he is allowed to have. I doubt he will express those views publically now that he is the leader and he'll probably wish he had never expressed them publcally as the Liberals will keep bringing them up in Question Period.

He apparently sees himself as a friendly Harper.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:45 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Also of note; that while he claims to be a Harper acolyte, the mere reference to Harper in his preliminary victory speech elicited some faint boos from his audience of Conservatives.

Also of note; Chong coming in near the top as the only guy who basically told Harper to take a flying leap by resigning his cabinet post over Harper's abrogating his "transparency in Government" promise.

If Chong is awarded a Sheer cabinet spot we can expect to see some ethical and morality arm wrestling between the two of them. Chong has impressed many of us.

As is often the case we are once again confronted with a Liberal leadership in Ontario with a decade or more of fiscal irresponsibility (if not outright corruption) behind them perhaps influencing a "protest vote" in the near future for what might be perceived as the lessor of two evils.

Sound familiar?

The NDP are in a very opportune moment in their history right now. To what extent a Trump's complete disregard for the environment plays into a 'tertiary' growth of the Green party remains to be seen.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 AM

^^I didn't see that about the boos but I had been thinking that it probably wasn't a good idea to identify with Harper.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,177,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It doesn't matter so much in Canada who the leader is of a political party as we vote for the members of parliament. I haven't been following the leadership race all that closely as my husband was in the hospital, but the Conservatives are not going to revisit abortion or gay marriage. It's just not going to happen. Sheer himself has said there's no appetite in the party for bringing those issues up as there are many people in the Conservative Party that aren't anti-abortion or anti gay marriage. Those are his private views which he is allowed to have. I doubt he will express those views publically now that he is the leader and he'll probably wish he had never expressed them publcally as the Liberals will keep bringing them up in Question Period.

He apparently sees himself as a friendly Harper.
Bingo. If this "mini Harper" perception continues, the Conservatives can say goodbye to the parliamentary election in 2019. In fact, if the conservatives are looking for any salvation from the fringes, they'd be better served by getting rid of any connection to our former PM.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 AM

3,901 posts, read 2,725,320 times
Interesting statistic:

Quote:
One-term majority governments are rare in Canada. The last one to go down to defeat in the next election was R.B. Bennett's in 1935 in the depths of the Great Depression.
After Maxime Bernier, Andrew Scheer faces stiffer challenge from Justin Trudeau - Politics - CBC News

Old 05-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Bingo. If this "mini Harper" perception continues, the Conservatives can say goodbye to the parliamentary election in 2019. In fact, if the conservatives are looking for any salvation from the fringes, they'd be better served by getting rid of any connection to our former PM.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sheer has a short stint as the Conservative leader. I think the Conservatives didn't quite know what they wanted.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 AM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
They used to be, then they weren't, now they're moving back.

Historically no question. They were called the Progressive Conservatives. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

Then they merged with The Alliance Party, who had it's roots in the Reform Party, a western socially conservative party.

Stephen Harper became the leader, they dropped Progressive from the name and became a much more socially conservative party.

Even they understood it would be political mayhem to open up a settled issue like abortion. They put their toe in regarding equal marriage by stating that ( I think I have this right? ) couples not married in Canada won't be recognized in Canada as being married, because of a loop hole in the law.

All hell broke loose and the reaction was " then fix it " . They did.

They have now gone as far as " ending official opposition to gay marriage " as a party.

Slowly being dragged into the 21st century.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle30197721/
Rate this post positively

Old 05-29-2017, 11:06 AM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Error post.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,133,432 times
Even if it is just his personal views I still can't find myself supporting a candidate who feels that my marriage is abhorrent. No thanks and as I said, my vote is pretty much cemented as of right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or