U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:59 PM

9,523 posts, read 9,409,905 times

Advertisements

Is professional wrestling popular in Quebec? I'd like to hear wrestlers taunting each other in French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 PM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Enjoy=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybtp0A3i7os

Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 PM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Yes, Quebec had its own wrestling scene (much like Mexico has today) up until the late 80s when it could not longer compete with WWF-WWE and it withered away.

A lot of people who went on to become big stars in the US started off in Quebec's Lutte Internationale system. People like King Tonga, Mad Dog Vachon, Rick Martel, Abdullah the Butcher, Killer Kowalski, Dino Bravo, Gino Brito and a bunch of others I am pretty sure.

André The Giant, who was from France, first came over to Quebec and was known here as Jean Ferré or Le Géant Ferré. He is still known by that name here.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Quebec's most famous wrestling family is the Rougeau family which spans three generations.

The most famous were Jacques and Raymond I think. They were the second generation. At one point they had a tag team named The Quebecers and later The Amazing French Canadians. I think they were "bad guys".

Here is the song they used to sing to taunt fans who hated them:

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez vous Francais?
Tell all the girls
The Rougeaus are on their way

Don't call us pretty boys
We're not a musclehead
We hate that long-haired look
We like the preppie look instead

We're all-American boys
All-American boys
We're all-American boys
All-American boys

We don't like heavy metal
We don't like rock ‘n' roll
All we like to listen to
Is Barry Manilow

On peut pas les sentir
Dans le monde ils sont les pires
On aime les faire fâcher quand on dit
We love the USA
Hey

We're all-American boys
All-American boys
We're all-American boys
All-American boys

The segment in French is I suppose a wink-wink to francophones and means:

We actually can't stand them
They're the worst in the world
We love to make them angry by saying
We love the USA

Old 06-17-2017, 11:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, Quebec had its own wrestling scene (much like Mexico has today) up until the late 80s when it could not longer compete with WWF-WWE and it withered away.
Are there no longer any independent promotions in Quebec? If so, that's a shame. When I was much younger, I used to like watching TV wrestling from Montreal. Sorry, Mouldy, that the commentary we got in Toronto was in English; but there were some great wrestlers in Montreal in those days.

And yes, AJ, I remember the Rougeaus. They were the bad guys. I believe Jacques went on to the WWF/WWE, but I can't remember if he was a good guy or a bad guy there.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,513,002 times
Quote:

A lot of people who went on to become big stars in the US started off in Quebec's Lutte Internationale system. People like King Tonga, Mad Dog Vachon, Rick Martel, Abdullah the Butcher, Killer Kowalski, Dino Bravo, Gino Brito and a bunch of others I am pretty sure.

André The Giant, who was from France, first came over to Quebec and was known here as Jean Ferré or Le Géant Ferré. He is still known by that name here.
Also the Harts, Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, and Big Joe Leduc.

Joe Leduc was no joke. Jerry Lawler said that he was the strongest man he ever wrestled against/performed with. That means a lot considering Lawler worked with Andre, Hulk Hogan, the Road Warriors, Ric Rude, Randy Savage, Superstar Billy Graham, and Sid Eudy/Vicious.

Guys like Superstar Billy Graham and Jake the Snake Roberts also got up there.

Good days.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,499,214 times
Quote:

Yes, remember all of those, especially my fave Mad Dog Vachon

Missing from your list is Edouard Carpentier, he came to Quebec from France about 1957,
he was quite popular.

I remember Maple Leaf Wrestling on TV, at one time the opening theme song was
the wild powerful drumming instrumental "The Ox" by The Who...perfect for wrestling.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes, remember all of those, especially my fave Mad Dog Vachon

Missing from your list is Edouard Carpentier, he came to Quebec from France about 1957,
he was quite popular.

I remember Maple Leaf Wrestling on TV, at one time the opening theme song was
the wild powerful drumming instrumental "The Ox" by The Who...perfect for wrestling.
Yes, Édouard Carpentier was a Frenchman who came to Quebec. He retired from the ring and became the voice and face of wrestling programs in Quebec. Here are two interviews in French with him and Eddie "The Brain" Creatchman and Frenchy Martin. Eddie was an Anglo-Jewish guy but he could sure talk trash in French. Frenchy Martin walked around with a "USA is not OK" sign and a Quebec flag IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSwSqhN7qAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcmJYRGB89s

Old 06-18-2017, 04:50 AM

When the Quebec "system" gave way to WWF-WWE, Carpentier stayed on as the face and voice of WWF-WWE in French for a number of years.

He is known for a bunch of colourful expressions in French, including his famous sign-off "à la semaine prochaine, si Dieu le veut" (see you next week, God willing).

I still hear people say that even though he died several years ago and has been off the airwaves for much longer still.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Are there no longer any independent promotions in Quebec? If so, that's a shame. When I was much younger, I used to like watching TV wrestling from Montreal. Sorry, Mouldy, that the commentary we got in Toronto was in English; but there were some great wrestlers in Montreal in those days.

And yes, AJ, I remember the Rougeaus. They were the bad guys. I believe Jacques went on to the WWF/WWE, but I can't remember if he was a good guy or a bad guy there.
Their uncle, Jean (Johnny) Rougeau, was also a pioneering wrestler who eventually worked as a bodyguard for Quebec Premier René Lévesque at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or