Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
What makes you think I believe there aren't any racist one's? The woman in the video doesn't have the demeanor nor the mannerisms or the culture of a Portuguese woman period. I know Portuguese women of all social classes and education levels.

I have no idea what you are talking about there are bigoted people in every ethnic group. The west coast rednecks are by far the most racist clannish group around here against Mexicans and Blacks. If I go to any Portuguese function there are a ton of Portuguese married to Anglos's some Latino's and a few Black people and there is never any kind of disturbance ever. So quit trying to paint a distorted picture of a group you know little to nothing about.
Okay .... again this is not about one group. I pockets of people in any group like or dislike other groups until they start more personally interacting. And darker people are not less racist then lighter people. There are pockets of racists in all groups. It is often worse in my opinion when they dont mix through work and school environments with other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
What makes you think I believe there aren't any racist one's? The woman in the video doesn't have the demeanor nor the mannerisms or the culture of a Portuguese woman period. I know Portuguese women of all social classes and education levels.
Don't discount the effects of integration and assimilation on people's demeanour, mannerisms and even culture (though in this last case, how can one tell what a person's culture is from that video?).

Even one generation "in" many people are indistinguishible from the mass mainstream that surrounds them.

That said, I am always uncomfortable when a discussion about racism veers off into a discussion about how certain groups are "more racist". That in and of itself seems highly racist (and ironic) to me.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Don't discount the effects of integration and assimilation on people's demeanour, mannerisms and even culture (though in this last case, how can one tell what a person's culture is from that video?).

Even one generation "in" many people are indistinguishible from the mass mainstream that surrounds them.

That said, I am always uncomfortable when a discussion about racism veers off into a discussion about how certain groups are "more racist". That in and of itself seems highly racist (and ironic) to me.
Perhaps indistinguishable for you but I can pick out first generation immigrants of my own ethnic group whether in Canada or the USA.

Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable it's the truth some groups tend to bring people in the fold others do not and are much more focused on differences and keeping them at bay. There's no need to pretend that there aren't any differences. If you are still unsure just look at the former British and Portuguese colonies the Brits for the most part did there best to segregate themselves from non-whites while the Portuguese men had mixed children with the Natives and brought the mixed children into the fold. Those cultural differences are still present to some degree.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Really she looks just like my cousins wife who is Portuguese Canadian. That being said it is more the phonetics of how she is speaking and not what she is staying that make me question that. It is first generation idiots I am referring too that grow up in the Catholic High School that I grew up in that act like this. Regardless going around saying stuff that openly screams crazy. In high school people use to say stuff like this openly because going to a Catholic school they were not exposed to a lot of other religious and ethnic groups. Anyone who went past high school should have gained more exposure. But I think this is more of a her issue then what ever background she is from.
I realize this is subjective but I don't pick up Portuguese language phonetics.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Perhaps indistinguishable for you but I can pick out first generation immigrants of my own ethnic group whether in Canada or the USA.

Depends what you mean by "first generation". Some friends of mine are technically first generation. They were born in Portugal but arrived here as very young children. In a group you can't tell them apart from Québécois French Canadians.

My siblings live in Ontario and are pretty much 100% French Canadian in origin. They grew up with French as a first language but speak unaccented English. With a bunch of Anglo-Canadians you can't tell them apart from the lot either.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable it's the truth some groups tend to bring people in the fold others do not and are much more focused on differences and keeping them at bay. There's no need to pretend that there aren't any differences. If you are still unsure just look at the former British and Portuguese colonies the Brits for the most part did there best to segregate themselves from non-whites while the Portuguese men had mixed children with the Natives and brought the mixed children into the fold. Those cultural differences are still present to some degree.
Oh I am very much aware of these differences. What makes me uncomfortable is when it gets to the "value judgement" level. I am actually more comfortable with generalizations than the average person is (on here anyway).

Also 2+2 doesn't necessarily equal 5.

You're right about the British new world colonists not mixing with the natives like the Portuguese (and also the Spanish and the French did.

This doesn't necessarily make the descendants of those British settlers (and the people who ended up integrating with them anyway) more racist than the others today.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Default .....

Quote:

I never said any group was more racist!

I just pointed out my observations. I grew up with people that acted just like this in Toronto and that is what it reminded me of.

Also my general angle of this thread was more to the effect of see what nonse people working in health care have to put up with.

Rest assure I have delt with angery and ignorant people of all races, religious, genders and income levels in Toronto. No one is a clearly wining the most racist award in my books.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 AM

Default ....

Quote:
I realize this is subjective but I don't pick up Portuguese language phonetics.
I said Portuguese or Italian. Also people note I am referring to Portuguese and Italian people born in Toronto. Not people born in those countries. I could totally be wrong. And again to clairify I totally did not mean to suggest that Portuguese or Italian people are more racist or racist specifically towards Indian/Pakistani people.

Regardless there are people that are racists in all ethnic groups. Racist does not exclusively mean someone "white" acting like this to a person that is darkers.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack;48591912[B
]Depends what you mean by "first generation". Some friends of mine are technically first generation. They were born in Portugal but arrived here as very young children.[/b] In a group you can't tell them apart from Québécois French Canadians.

My siblings live in Ontario and are pretty much 100% French Canadian in origin. They grew up with French as a first language but speak unaccented English. With a bunch of Anglo-Canadians you can't tell them apart from the lot either.
I would fall into that category born in Portugal moved to Canada at five years of age then moved to California at seven years of age. Perhaps you are unable to distinguish those individuals but there are subtle differences and it really isn't that difficult for me to pick them out after engaging in a conversation etc.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:59 AM
AFP

Quote:
Oh I am very much aware of these differences. What makes me uncomfortable is when it gets to the "value judgement" level. I am actually more comfortable with generalizations than the average person is (on here anyway).

Also 2+2 doesn't necessarily equal 5.

You're right about the British new world colonists not mixing with the natives like the Portuguese (and also the Spanish and the French did.

This doesn't necessarily make the descendants of those British settlers (and the people who ended up integrating with them anyway) more racist than the others today.
Of course not and many are polite on the surface although in my opinion as a whole they have more rigid social boundaries and are more standoffish and awkward when interacting with people of non-European background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada