Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Taxation, healthcare, workers' benefits, environmental regulations, government vs free market, mass transit. Some of these aren't shared with Canada, but they are where Europe swings more left than the USA.
Taxation in the EU has been steadily going down, on fiscal issues the EU is significantly more conservative than the US, member countries cannot exceed 3% of budget deficit (and with a 60% debt/GDP maximum ratio, albeit theoretical at the moment), the US at some point reached 10%

Furthermore, the EU has been becoming increasingly more market oriented and the mythical European job security is increasingly becoming a distant memory. Even in Scandinavian countries the "cradle to the grave" model is under pressure.

The United States run one of the largest and generous welfare system in the world.....the US Armed Forces.

I do not agree with Manitopiaaa with some of his/her criticism of European cities, on some aspects they are far more modern than American ones (including Canadians), public transportation for example....however I agree that many European big cities suburbs are depressing.....Paris for example.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-09-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Taxation in the EU has been steadily going down, on fiscal issues the EU is significantly more conservative than the US, member countries cannot exceed 3% of budget deficit, the US at some point reached 10%

Furthermore, the EU has been becoming increasingly more market oriented and the mythical European job security is increasingly becoming a distant memory. Even in Scandinavian countries the cradle to the grave model is under pressure.

The United States run one of the largest and generous welfare system in the world.....the US Armed Forces.

I do not agree with Manitopiaaa with some of his/her criticism of European cities, on some aspects they are far more modern than American ones (including Canadians), public transportation for example....however I agree that many European big cities suburbs are depressing.....Paris for example.
Europe definitely still has the upper hand over the "New World" (US, Canada, Australia, NZ) when it comes to public transportation as many small cities have rail infrastructure which I consider key in mobility, since they can bypass the hurdles of traffic jams.

That being said I do believe the US, Canada and Australia are catching up. Some 20 to 30 years ago, only a few key cities had subway/light rail transit, but nowadays new systems are popping up everywhere.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Europe definitely still has the upper hand over the "New World" (US, Canada, Australia, NZ) when it comes to public transportation as many small cities have rail infrastructure which I consider key in mobility, since they can bypass the hurdles of traffic jams.
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
That being said I do believe the US, Canada and Australia are catching up. Some 20 to 30 years ago, only a few key cities had subway/light rail transit, but nowadays new systems are popping up everywhere.

Yes, there are definitely some non European cities (in particularly Asian) that are the envy of the world in public transportation.

I also find Sydney excellent, far above any North American city.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:00 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
In Australi, public transport is not considered something for the poor. You might also observe that small cars are common in Australia.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:04 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree.

Yes, there are definitely some non European cities (in particularly Asian) that are the envy of the world in public transportation.

I also find Sydney excellent, far above any North American city.
In Australia, public transport is not considered something for the poor. People from various backgrounds use it.

You might observe that small cars are also common in Australia. Preferences are between North America's and Europe's.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 07-10-2017 at 02:13 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Canadians in some cities are forced to live smaller, it is not their choice...at all.
Furthermore, the suburbs around Toronto don't look much different than those around New York City, except that the construction tends to be more recent on average. In terms of house size, lot size and street layout, I wouldn't know the difference. Same types of cars in the driveways too. As far as living in large cities in the US, most people scale back size unless they have a pile of money to spend. Maybe Canadians talk about living smaller, but many don't.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Canadians in some cities are forced to live smaller, it is not their choice...at all.
Of course it's their choice. They can always move the burbs, and some do. I can get a place twice the size of my current places for less than half the price a 45 minute drive from downtown.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Furthermore, the suburbs around Toronto don't look much different than those around New York City, except that the construction tends to be more recent on average. In terms of house size, lot size and street layout, I wouldn't know the difference. Same types of cars in the driveways too. As far as living in large cities in the US, most people scale back size unless they have a pile of money to spend. Maybe Canadians talk about living smaller, but many don't.
Some parts of the burbs sure, but don't Toronto's burbs have more high-rise condo's?

Also, that's just Toronto. In Vancouver our suburbs, besides the older sprawl, has condo's and office towers galore.

It's been discussed to death on CD, but Canadians suburbs overall are much more dense than US ones.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Of course it's their choice. They can always move the burbs, and some do. I can get a place twice the size of my current places for less than half the price a 45 minute drive from downtown.
Same options in the US......you have to be 45 minutes away to have a place twice the size....you said it.....again living smaller is not (mostly and up to a point, I'm not talking a 5000 sq/ft mansion here which does not appeal to me at all) a choice but you are forced to...now if you can have a bigger place without moving out too far a lot of people would jump at it....a family living in a 800 sf/ft condo in Vancouver does not do that by choice in most cases....they are forced to, pure and simple.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are having a comprehension issue. I said the attitudes, not the cities and not every attitude.

Things that I and my friends from Europe find in common, that isn't quite the same. Attitudes towards living smaller, attitudes towards public transportation, attitudes towards universal healthcare, attitudes in regards to government, attitudes in regards to workers rights such a paid vacation, maternity/paternity leave etc.

Yes there are those in the US who have the same attitudes as Canadians and Europeans, but overall, I find Europe more progressive in most areas than the US.

The US isn't more progressive on gay marriage than Canada. On LGBTQ rights overall, Canada is ahead of the US.

Marijuana is only legal in a few states and definitely not legal federally. Canada will be ahead of that game next year when it becomes legal country wide. Europe is a mix and hardly taking a backseat to the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cecilia.../#56d5fd4ec96e
Ummm, 70,000,000 people in the U.S. already live in areas that have legal marijuana. The U.S. was first to the game on marijuana.

Even alcohol policy in Canada is behind: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1544faebe84e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada