Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:04 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Given that there are protests on Capital Hill against the celebration of Canada 150, .
Canada doesn't have a Capital Hill or a Capitol Hill. We have a Parliament Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:06 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:

Another whacky thing he's doing is pretending that Canada is celebrating 150th birthday. Everyone who was alive in 1967 knows that at 100 years, it was Confederation. Why is it now a birthday? Does he want people to think that Canada is a brand new place that didn't exist 151 years ago?
The federal government at least has been saying that this is the 150th anniversary of Confederation, not of Canada itself.

If people take shortcuts, including the media, it's not their fault.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Looks like it's a process to put a teepee in the middle of Canada day.

Confederation is different from a birthday.
Was it Trudeau who marketed confederation as birthday?
He pi*ssed off a lot of people
eh

Old 07-02-2017, 01:43 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:

eh
Who?

Old 07-02-2017, 02:20 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:

eh
Confederation occurred on July 1, 1867.

This is the 150th birthday of Confederation.

Therefore, we can celebrate Confederation and its 150th birthday at the same time.

Note that "confederation" in the Canadian sense simply means that a few British colonies (later to be called "provinces") were put into a federation called "Canada," which came into being on July 1, 1867. The BNA Act 1867 delegated certain powers to the federal government, and other powers to the provinces. See Constitution ss. 91, 92, et seq. This constitutional separation of powers between the federal government and sub-federal governments indicates a federated country.

A federated country was not unknown in 1867; see, for example, the United States, where the federal government has certain powers, and the various states have others. Other federated countries would follow; see, for example, Australia and its states.

Regardless, I really enjoyed July 1, 2017. I went to a a doubleheader of a baseball game, where our home team won both games. I caught up with a lot of old friends at the ball games, and there were fireworks after. It was a great way to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday of Confederation.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Confederation occurred on July 1, 1867.

This is the 150th birthday of Confederation.

Therefore, we can celebrate Confederation and its 150th birthday at the same time......
Why is this so difficult to understand? I think you'd have to want not to understand it in order claim to be confused. I used to love it when we went over to Canada for our holidays. I wish I was there now with my Canadian friends to celebrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada