Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 PM

61,154 posts, read 85,977,665 times

Advertisements

People just write stupid things - anonymously. Because they can - it's their Internet right
While I do enjoy intelligent and constructive discussion when I see one (seems to be dying out now), more than often I just wish that some comment sections could be closed, so I will not be exposed to the embarrassing stupidity of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,444,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People just write stupid things - anonymously. Because they can - it's their Internet right
While I do enjoy intelligent and constructive discussion when I see one (seems to be dying out now), more than often I just wish that some comment sections could be closed, so I will not be exposed to the embarrassing stupidity of others.
That's the problem with most comment sections, they are in serious need of moderation. You're entirely right about the anonymity issue as a lot of people use that as an excuse to indulge in grotesque behaviour. Even IMDB shut down their message boards earlier this year because it was getting out of hand.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:45 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,345,971 times
It's been more than a month now; MSN is still trying to "figure out" the comments section gone sideways. Pour moi, the hint is that I'd NEVER take a jury trial in Canada. Too sketchy.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:49 PM

You think a media company by now would have built simple software for rating a comment. One started by making you read/rank another thread. You'd only need to rank the comments "off topic", relevant, or outright illegal, immoral, and fattening. Once the rankings reached a certain level the comment would implode.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 AM

567 posts, read 1,462,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think shutting down the comments sections IS the best solution and I approve of it. Providing the comments sections was a generous gesture but it was never a necessary thing. I'm sure the media outlets that provided comments sections never did it anticipating they might eventually be invaded and taken over by thousands of ignorant trolls who have nothing important or intelligent to say and just want to see their own drivel in print online. Even discussion forums like this one can be taken over and brought down by trolls if there aren't strict monitoring, censorship and posting protocols put in place.
I strongly disagree with this point of view.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:28 AM

14,655 posts, read 14,749,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
You think a media company by now would have built simple software for rating a comment. One started by making you read/rank another thread. You'd only need to rank the comments "off topic", relevant, or outright illegal, immoral, and fattening. Once the rankings reached a certain level the comment would implode.

I think it's probably a lot less complicated to just shut down the comments features. It's not as though it's an essential service that readers actually need, it was just a courtesy to people and it was getting abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
I strongly disagree with this point of view.

Okay. Do you care to give your own perspective?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 AM

there are so many errors made in this type of "new journalism" that almost every story I read needs to be called out for bull and/or is making a major error. The comments section can be a good proof reader.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:51 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,356,547 times
I think that having some 26 year old Journalism graduate who has never lived outside of downtown Toronto, or equivalent, decide which issues get free speech and which don't is a kinda bad idea.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 AM

3,597 posts, read 3,337,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think that having some 26 year old Journalism graduate who has never lived outside of downtown Toronto, or equivalent, decide which issues get free speech and which don't is a kinda bad idea.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Certainly all Canadian media outlets have freedom of the press, as per Charter s. 2(b). They can print/broadcast whatever they like.

The most respected journalism school in Canada is Carleton University in Ottawa--hard to see how somebody who has never lived outside of downtown Toronto (your words) could fit the mould of somebody who had to attend classes at Carleton every day. It would be one heckuva commute, to live in Toronto and commute to Ottawa for classes.

As for deciding "which issues get free speech and which don't," that's between you and the media. The Canadian government cannot shut you up, as per Charter s. 2(b). The private media (Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, Global, CTV, etc.) can shut you up, as they are private entities, and not subject to the Charter; but they are answerable to the public. If the Toronto Star (for example) doesn't report a major story, as determined by other news outlets, expect questions to be asked of the Star. Is the Star biased on this issue? Perhaps. Will it be called to account and asked to justify its silence? Most definitely. In the end, the Star will be excoriated or vindicated. That's the way the Canadian free press works.

Short answer: Try launching a s. 2(b) lawsuit against the Globe and Mail, because it didn't print your Letter to the Editor; and watch the courts laugh at you.

Sadly, many Canadians do not understand that their Charter protections only extend against governments. They do not understand that private entities have no obligations to honour the Charter (though alleged discriminatory injustices can be prosecuted under provincial/federal human rights law). At any rate, I see no injustices in Wilson's allegation that Canadian journalists see things from an uneducated Toronto-only perspective.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 08-06-2017 at 04:47 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Default thank you, Rupert Murdock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I seem to see most of them coming out of Australia and England. But still, not much life experience. If I see "gobsmacked" used in one more USA article I'm going to send a letter of reprimand to the Queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada