Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:29 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I think that Crashj007 meant that a major war that could seriously impact the interest of western civilization will have Canada joining and I do agree. After all, Canada is part of the Anglosphere.

By the way, Canada was in Korea and Afghanistan.

However, the "war fear" is highly irrational in the OP context, US has no draft and wars nowadays are not fought with a lot of boots on the ground.
That may have been his main point, and if Canada sees it as a just war, yes being an ally we would be there.

However, if you read the post it is talking about Canada JOINING the US in other wars..WW2 etc, when Canada did not join the US in that war, as anyone who knows a bit of history will tell you.

I'm quite aware that Canada was in Korea, my grandfather was there, and of course I know about Afghanistan. I never mentioned that are not there??? Not sure why you mention it.

I think my reaction was to point out, that because Canada wasn't in the Vietnam war, no the second Gulf War, that we just don't go to war because the US does, which is what the poster seemed to be saying.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-05-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 PM

3,593 posts, read 3,330,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Canada is much more reluctant to accept US citizens than Muslim refugees.
There is a difference between those citizens of any country (the UK, Jamaica, Germany, India, and yes, the USA) who choose to legally immigrate to Canada; and those of any religion who are fleeing a civil war that has destroyed their homes, killed their friends and relatives, and left their country in a shambles. As a result, Canada does not discriminate among qualified immigrants; it accepts immigrants from the US as equally as it accepts immigrants from any country. Canada also accepts valid refugees on humanitarian grounds.

To put it another way, there is a difference between an immigrant and a refugee. The former has a made a choice to leave his or her homeland; the latter had no choice and was forced to leave.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,957,002 times
Quote:
Sorry but still you are way way over worried about the whole thing (I may dare to say irrationally worried, please do not take offense)...the US has an all volunteer armed forces since the early 1970s and that is not going to change...we are never going to see a draft again, standing armies are not the way modern warfare is conducted.
You have nothing to worry about and your son has more likely a brighter economic future in the US. Stay where you are....
Irrationally? Oh, dearie me, I do have to say this is a very thin connection to reality. There is every rational reason to be extremely concerned - and a cadre of demagogues who wish to convince us that the evidence-based reality is fake news. The OP is very right to be concerned.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,230,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Irrationally? Oh, dearie me, I do have to say this is a very thin connection to reality. There is every rational reason to be extremely concerned - and a cadre of demagogues who wish to convince us that the evidence-based reality is fake news. The OP is very right to be concerned.

Irrationality, exactly right, the one you just showed as well....fear mongering and disconnection with reality.....

Old 08-06-2017, 06:17 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,957,002 times
Quote:
Irrationality, exactly right, the one you just showed as well....fear mongering and disconnection with reality.....
There you go again . . .

Old 08-06-2017, 08:12 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,230,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There you go again . . .
Sorry but being afraid to be drafted in far away wars is indeed irrational fear.....

Old 08-10-2017, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,040 times
Thanks again for more replies. Enjoying the back-and-forth
Just like to point out, to the poster who talked about "Obama's wars..." um.... no....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada