Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I guess I should explain more what I mean by manipulation. Here's a couple of examples:

Remember Trudeau's response to a question about quantum physics? It got a lot of good publicity in the world press. His response seemed spontaneous. However, it wasn't. It was staged in advance.

Trudeau gave an eloquent explanation of quantum computing. But it may have been more prepared than most of the world's media seemed to realize

Then there was Trudeau out jogging, "accidentally" coming across a graduation party. The picture was picked up by the world press. Reporters were sure miffed after they submitted their articles when they discovered that they had been conned. There was nothing accidental about the encounter. Trudeau's personal photographer was in place ready to snap a picture when Trudeau jogged by.
To be honest, that sounds like something I would do jokingly - aske me about x, y, z, something other people wouldn't expect me to know about and then launch into an explanation of it. I'm not entirely understanding the story - was he earlier bored by some quantum physics event or cornered by a quantum physicist and he decided to make the most out of a boring thing? He seems to have given the game away before the interview by saying he hoped to be asked that. Maybe to make a point that he is more than a pretty face.

As far as his photographer, again, it's not unusual for politicians to stage photographs for use in promotional pamphlets and it isn't clear to me that that wasn't what he was doing. I enjoy photography and also have staged people doing actions that are meant to look spontaneous but aren't. I expect most people have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
To play up a staged photo op as a serious moral failing seems a bit much...

Old 08-13-2017, 10:03 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agree.

Same with those fund raising dinners in chinese billionaires homes

Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 AM

869 posts, read 1,125,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

His father, however... He was an amazing man. After he retired from politics, he lived next door to my father. He was as charismatic as a neighbor as he was as a politician. I guess some of that filtered down to his kid.
Among other traits they share is a love for huge budget deficits.

Even Harper could have enjoyed that rock-star status had he thrown tax payer's money away willy-nilly like Jr and kicked the can down the road.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Among other traits they share is a love for huge budget deficits.

Even Harper could have enjoyed that rock-star status had he thrown tax payer's money away willy-nilly like Jr and kicked the can down the road.
Good point...he grew up at 24 Sussex Dr.

Money means very little to him....he thinks it grows on trees

Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think Trudeau has a serious moral feeling. Where did you get that from my posts? If there was an election today, considering the alternatives, I'd vote for the liberals. I do think he has good intentions and his way of inspiring people to be greater than they are reminds me of JFK.

As I said in my first post, manipulation can be positive or negative, and as Nat pointed out, and I agreed, I could have used a much more positive word to accurately describe the same actions. I just lost some trust and ability to take some of his actions at face value alone anymore. I'm willing to be proved wrong with time. No hurry as he is only midway through his term.

I am not sure if I like his apparent chairman of the board approach to the "job" with most of his time in the public eye trying to generate positive publicity for Canada and for himself. Previous PMs acted more like CEOs but I guess they had a different skillset.

I also wonder about his secrecy regarding approval of certain Chinese investments in Canada and am not sure I like the idea of a trade agreement with China.

Again, just vague concerns at this point.

Last edited by cdnirene; 08-13-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Like I said, Trudeau is ok, but nothing to get excited about (I'm a Canadian living in Australia).
He is very good at passive diplomacy which boosts Canada's image worldwide. He is a strong advocate of tolerance, especially towards people of different backgrounds be it ethnicity, religion or the LGBT community. However, he hasn't done much of substance yet.

Trump doesn't really think, he still operates as a celebrity, firing people who disagree with him, tweeting about his victory in the election (we get it you won).. and that's just the more passive stuff. Then he bans people from certain countries which leaves people stranded at the airport, some who are legal residents of the US, pulls out of Paris...
That being said, I don't think his presidency will spell doom for the country like I here mentioned all the time. The US is powerful enough that it can sustain itself, and nothing any president does will tarnish my image of the country which is very high.
Thanks for you perspective, and honesty. I used to travel a lot to, and within Canada for business years ago when Trudeau Sr. was PM, and also Brian Mulroney. Mostly Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver. As I am relatively conservative, I didn't like the first Trudeau, nor the current one, but since he's not my PM, I don't feel the need to get into specifics, plus I just don't know a lot about him, more just generalities.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Good point...he grew up at 24 Sussex Dr.
Not really. Only the first 8 or so years of his life. Much of his schooling was in Montreal, where he lived on Pine Avenue with his father.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Subtitled: "Why Can't He Be Our President?"
https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Magaz...ine%2C+Trudeau

Have any of you seen this month's Rolling Stone? Does it get distributed in Canada? Well, the current issue seems to be selling like hotcakes on eBay.

Here's a link to the article, in case you're interested. They call him "The North Star". Catchy.
Justin Trudeau: Canadian Prime Minister, Free World's Best Hope? - Rolling Stone
How sad these people are so desperate for a new "leader" because he says nice things...

I think we take Presidents too seriously, they aren't someone who tells you what time you have to go to bed and tucks you in at night.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 PM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Not really. Only the first 8 or so years of his life. Much of his schooling was in Montreal, where he lived on Pine Avenue with his father.
Well...if you do the math.....Justin Trudeau born dec. 25, 1971,
his dad, Pierre Trudeau left office, spring 1984,
so the first 12 or so years of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada