Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 09:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times

Advertisements

Look at the words under jbgusa screen name.

The recent comments by jbgusa are polar opposite of what I would expect.

That said, I couldn't agree more. This thread is very interesting and eye opening and so polite I was about to blow chunks.

Sounds like speaking PC in Canada has a high probability of ending badly. We'll have to wait and see what the reaction is when refugee cultures start dictating to Canada. I do like the fact you welcome them, but think your immigration law should require all to assimilate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Can you guys define what PC is in Canada? PC in Canada is not the same thing as what you think PC is where you guys are.

And nearly blowing chunks because of another culture's common politenesses isn't something to be proud of confessing to, it's incredibly crass and unworldly.

Just another example of cultural differences.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:24 AM

505 posts, read 393,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In 1971 Canada was the first country in the world to make multi-culturism an official policy. We have been at it a while.

It's been taught in schools, as has diversity as a strength.

As Netwit said, Europe isn't Canada. Not by a long shot.

If anything, I believe Canada is even better prepared that we were in 1971. Just look at the response to Syrian refugees.

Western Europe is better prepared for, say, Syrians, Far East or westernized people, or even north Africans for a single reason.

The continent is dying. In the case of Spain, immigration has not compensated the steep demographic freefall. In other words, the population is OLD and getting older, thousands of small cities and town are becoming deserted.

The rest, "the essence", western Europe has weathered many wars, ethnic cleansings and a cruel past in which things like the American Civil War are just a kid's play.

Just liker comparing 11/11 with Dresden, KL and severl civil wars that lasted a century.

To say that Canada invested multiculturalism!!! My god!!! Europe not long ago was inhabited by people that hated each other to death and that kiiled each other for a bycicle!! What problem Canada had? Fur wars?

Last edited by farinello; 09-03-2017 at 05:37 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Western Europe is better prepared for, say, Syrians, Far East or westernized people, or even north Africans for a single reason.

The continent is dying. In the case of Spain, immigration has not compensated the steep demographic freefall. In other words, the population is OLD and getting older, thousands of small cities and town are becoming deserted.

The rest, "the essence", western Europe has weathered many wars, ethnic cleansings and a cruel past in which things like the American Civil War are just a kid's play.

Just liker comparing 11/11 with Dresden, KL and severl civil wars that lasted a century.

To say that Canada invested multiculturalism!!! My god!!! Europe not long ago was inhabited by people that hated each other to death and that kiiled each other for a bycicle!! What problem Canada had? Fur wars?
Canada for all of it's comparably brief history has assimilated cultures from primarily Europe who brought with them the avowed determination to avoid those exact challenges you point out.

Canada contributed it's young men and women to fighting in two world wars and it is your contention they brought back no knowledge from their experience that would serve to pattern governmental directions? Canada just simply decided out of the blue to try some experiment in immigration?

Canada is as close to a clean slate as it gets. We can learn so many things from what has happened elsewhere with an eye towards preventing those long term negative influences from shaping our future.

One downfall that I hope Canada would be determined to avoid at all costs is the stupid myopia of group-think serving to polarize a population into two disparate camps resulting in an approximation of the Hatfield vs McCoy retardation demonstrated more contemporarily by using words like "progressives" in the pejorative.

If we can continue our reasoned and considered "progress" towards what is going to be inevitable in any case throughout the world, in spite of the idiotic building of walls suggested by the intellectually impaired who've learned nothing from history, Canada will become only the better for it.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Can you guys define what PC is in Canada? PC in Canada is not the same thing as what you think PC is where you guys are.[/quote]Well by PC do you mean the Progressive Conservative Party (still exists in MB, ON and AB) or "politically correct"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And nearly blowing chunks because of another culture's common politenesses isn't something to be proud of confessing to, it's incredibly crass and unworldly.

Removing statues of Robert E. Lee is not "merely blowing chunks (of) common politeness." I hear that in your country status of John Macdonald are under attack. Is that good? And is it good that battle reenactments of Montcalm v. Wolfe were canceled? Is it crass to memorialize history because there are winners and losers?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Quote:
Can you guys define what PC is in Canada? PC in Canada is not the same thing as what you think PC is where you guys are.
Well by PC do you mean the Progressive Conservative Party (still exists in MB, ON and AB) or "politically correct"?

Removing statues of Robert E. Lee is not "merely blowing chunks (of) common politeness." I hear that in your country status of John Macdonald are under attack. Is that good? And is it good that battle reenactments of Montcalm v. Wolfe were canceled? Is it crass to memorialize history because there are winners and losers?

You and Movedintime are the ones who first mentioned your own PC'ness (or lack of it) so you are the ones who need to define it.

That other stuff you mentioned above about statues and battles and yadda yadda is pointless and of no interest to me. I don't understand why you mentioned it. It has no relevance to a person posting here being crass and boorish enough to tell Canadians that their politeness in this thread makes him want to vomit. All that crassness does is set a bad example of civility and speaks poorly of his own society.

It's also crass and boorish to tar all immigrants and refugees with the same broad brush.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-03-2017 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
People keep talking about refugees but keep a few things in mind.

This summer's refugee wave was mostly Haitians. Numbering between 7-10k. We already have a couple hundred thousand people of Haitian origin here. They are different of course but fit in quite well. No big culture clash.

As for the huge migrant wave of 2-3 years ago, Canada took in about 25k refugees. Canada has 36m people. Germany took in about 1m for a population of 90m people.

I doubt these refugees in Canada are going to change much in the values of Canadian society.

If we want to talk about immigration to Canada and the changes that might bring, then that is a different topic.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:43 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Well by PC do you mean the Progressive Conservative Party (still exists in MB, ON and AB) or "politically correct"?

Removing statues of Robert E. Lee is not "merely blowing chunks (of) common politeness." I hear that in your country status of John Macdonald are under attack. Is that good? And is it good that battle reenactments of Montcalm v. Wolfe were canceled? Is it crass to memorialize history because there are winners and losers?[/quote]

The Wolfe vs Montcalm reenactement was canned because it was marketed in a lighthearted almost joking way, and this rallied popular opinion against it. Had they been more serious it would likely have gone ahead.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post

I'm assuming you meant to type " invented ".

No where did I say that.

Please read my post again. If it's still unclear, Canada was the first country that made Multiculturalism AN OFFICIAL POLICY.

Official policy does not mean invented.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

OK, you got me. It must be a cultural difference or you would laugh and understand. My apologies.

Speaking for myself, I think Canada is Great and believe most Americans are happy and feel fortunate to have Canada as a neighbor. (even tho it might not seem that way to you sometimes. again must be only a cultural difference and misunderstanding.) I have met quite a few Canadians both in the U.S. and in my travels in Canada. Can honestly say "I have never met a Canadian I didn't like". Again on a personal level... "I'm sorry for offending you".

My (our) concern is for your countries well being. Seeing what is happening in the U.S. and other countries, well, you might just tell me to mind my own business, but I sure don't want to see Canada start experiencing the recent problems that are happening around the world.

PC = Politically correct. as in being careful to say what is a generally acceptable way of speaking in public as not to upset anyone.

Example= A painter paints the most hideous, disgusting, obviously ugly painting and everyone in the room knows it, but the comments are " interesting" or maybe "what do you think of that painting my dear ? Husband replies "quite different, I'll take note of it".

When everyone really wants to say "That is hideous, disgusting and ugly !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada