Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'll pick you up tomorrow at noon. We'll go for lunch and then start campaigning.
Women in politics!! Never, or so my great grandfather said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Still wouldn't move.

This is where it can get messy. The Orthodox man asks for a women to be moved. She refuses. He refuses to sit. The flight gets delayed. This has happened per the article I linked. Or the women moves, perhaps feeling pressured and little bit second class since she, unlike you, doesn't have a full understanding of why the man is discriminating against women.

By allowing airlines to ask to move people you give the people wanting the moves to expect it as a right. I'm not comfortable with that.

We must also remember that it's not just orthodox Jewish men that may request this. There are other sects and religions, some where it's not the fear of being accidentally touched by a women, but interacting with one.

"Pakistan is overwhelmingly Muslim, and Islam forbids the practice of monasticism. Orange robes are generally associated with Buddhist monks. In some Buddhist cultures, and depending on vows they have taken, monks avoid interacting with women."

Woman says she was forced to change airline seats to accommodate 2 men

I'm sure the airline must have made sure that the flight attendants serving them were male as well. What if they were no male flight attendants?

The danger I see in accommodating religious beliefs where they impact or cause others to change their behaviour is in my rights, the basic human rights we all share, is impeded upon.

If you are going to live in a secular society, you have to make choices if your religion forbids certain things. If it means living in a remote area, so be it, but no ones religion is going to make me give up my rights.
Yes, you're right about ALL of this.

Quote:
Hahaha!!!!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Still wouldn't move.

This is where it can get messy. The Orthodox man asks for a women to be moved. She refuses. He refuses to sit. The flight gets delayed. This has happened per the article I linked. Or the women moves, perhaps feeling pressured and little bit second class since she, unlike you, doesn't have a full understanding of why the man is discriminating against women.

By allowing airlines to ask to move people you give the people wanting the moves to expect it as a right. I'm not comfortable with that.

We must also remember that it's not just orthodox Jewish men that may request this. There are other sects and religions, some where it's not the fear of being accidentally touched by a women, but interacting with one.

"Pakistan is overwhelmingly Muslim, and Islam forbids the practice of monasticism. Orange robes are generally associated with Buddhist monks. In some Buddhist cultures, and depending on vows they have taken, monks avoid interacting with women."

I'm sure the airline must have made sure that the flight attendants serving them were male as well. What if they were no male flight attendants?

The danger I see in accommodating religious beliefs where they impact or cause others to change their behaviour is in my rights, the basic human rights we all share, is impeded upon.

If you are going to live in a secular society, you have to make choices if your religion forbids certain things. If it means living in a remote area, so be it, but no ones religion is going to make me give up my rights.
Well, you shouldn't have to give up your rights. And no one should be forced to give up a seat. But there is no harm in asking, although I don't see why anyone wanting a seat because they didn't want to interact with the opposite sex would actually state the reason. If that was my reason, I would keep really quiet about it. And if that person doesn't want to change seats, they certainly shouldn't be forced to. And yes, religious people have always made choices in relation to secular societies they found themselves living in. That is nothing new or strange.

And if I somehow became aware that someone was forced to sit next to me who didn't want to be there, I really wouldn't want to be sitting next to him anyway. It would make me very nervous.

But someone like that Muslim woman being yelled at by a neo Nazi because of what she was wearing that defined her as a Muslim should also not happen, ever. Her being in public was not infringing on anyone's rights.

I wonder what the statistics are for anti-Semitic/anti-Muslim incidents versus religious people in some way actually overstepping into secular territory.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Old 09-08-2017, 12:33 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
But there is no harm in asking,.

You've said this several times, but sometimes there *can* be harm in asking.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Another example of religious beliefs interfering with peoples' rights is St. Boniface hospital in Winnipeg which is publicly funded. The hospital will not allow medically assisted deaths on site.

Catholic Health Corp. stacks St. Boniface Hospital board to stop assisted dying - Manitoba - CBC News
The same issue happened here at St Paul's.

B.C. man faced excruciating transfer after Catholic hospital refused assisted-death request | National Post

Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Still wouldn't move.

The idea that religion is kind of a ''free pass'' for (most) anything is not something that is sustainable in the long term in a society like ours.

BTW my posts may give the impression that I am an anti-religion person. But I'm actually not.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You've said this several times, but sometimes there *can* be harm in asking.
There's potential harm in almost everything. When I was a teenager, I dreaded walking past construction sites because of the whistles and cat calls. I'm sure they meant no harm but when you are growing into your body, girls often feel self-conscious and really, you don't know where the harm might come from. And probably a lot of the construction workers were young men also figuring themselves out. No harm intended, but it didn't feel comfortable and if there was a long stretch of construction, I wouldn't walk past it.

As a grown up woman, the same cat calls and whistles just put an extra wiggle in my walk. Context is everything, is my point, and can't be legislated.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
There's potential harm in almost everything. When I was a teenager, I dreaded walking past construction sites because of the whistles and cat calls. I'm sure they meant no harm but when you are growing into your body, girls often feel self-conscious and really, you don't know where the harm might come from. And probably a lot of the construction workers were young men also figuring themselves out. No harm intended, but it didn't feel comfortable and if there was a long stretch of construction, I wouldn't walk past it.

As a grown up woman, the same cat calls and whistles just put an extra wiggle in my walk. Context is everything, is my point, and can't be legislated.
People are waiting in line to be served by service staff.

One employee serves a whole bunch of people, but when it's the turn of a black person, he says "excuse me sir, would you mind waiting for my colleague here to serve you?" Then he proceeds to serve the next group of people, none of whom are black.

The next time the black person shows up there, the same thing happens again.

Is there really "no harm" in asking in this case?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People are waiting in line to be served by service staff.

One employee serves a whole bunch of people, but when it's the turn of a black person, he says "excuse me sir, would you mind waiting for my colleague here to serve you?" Then he proceeds to serve the next group of people, none of whom are black.

The next time the black person shows up there, the same thing happens again.

Is there really "no harm" in asking in this case?
Racism and religious beliefs are two different things.

ETA: and I've never made the argument that people shouldn't do the job they have been hired for anywhere in this thread that I recall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada