Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

As for the women, it's also sadly true that there is less competition in women's sports. In many countries women don't play sports or at least their sports are not taken as seriously as they are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Canadian multi-culturalism works because our government can select the people it will let in.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
My post was tongue in cheek : )

But yeah the men are pretty terrible at footy and I would take Sinclair over Larin as my striker anyday, at least she doesn't miss an open net.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 AM

579 posts, read 664,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I disagree with the idea that huge problems with Canadian multiculturalism are inevitable, and that it will all come crashing down.

But I disagree even more strongly with those who say things are and will always remain perfect.
In absolute terms, it's far from perfect, I acknowledge as much.

But unless multiculturalism breaks down in Canadian soil, Canada is the international gold standard as far as multiculturalism is concerned.

As for the vetting process: I acknowledge that no vetting process is foolproof or otherwise perfect, just that it's a crucial part of whether it works or fails.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 AM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Canadian multi-culturalism works because our government can select the people it will let in.
Exactly.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
I disagree with the idea that huge problems with Canadian multiculturalism are inevitable, and that it will all come crashing down.

But I disagree even more strongly with those who say things are and will always remain perfect.
The question also remains how perfect is it really? It would be interesting to hear from people exactly how they measure success. For many people just the fact that you can maintain your culture and still feel Canadian is enough, but do you really need an official policy to achieve that? (The US is an example of accomplishing the same)

Many though expect more and when those expectations are not met, that is when you have problems.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:39 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
What does colour have to do with multiculturalism?

Multiculturalrism is the mixing of cultures, not colours. So, hockey players can be Russian, Swedish, Danish, Swiss, Italian, English, and others--and of course, Canadian and American. That's multiculturalism. They may all be white, but they come from different countries, from different roots, from different cultures. Hockey, to Canadians, is multicultural.

Multiculturalism, as defined by Canada, does not involve race. It involves nationality, and the culture that arises from that nationality. In Canada's definition of "multicultural," one's skin colour is not involved at all.
Hockey is a part of your culture. Or does multiculturalism mean each culture stays separate from one another and never learn about the other? Canada has many immigrants outside of Europe too. Or does multiculturalism only refer to european and caucasian cultures?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
As others said it is not just about skin colour.

Origins represented on the gold medal winning Team Canada in men's hockey at Sochi, other than British and French. I may be missing some too.

Italian
Dutch
Jamaican
Croatian
German
Greek
Portuguese
No asian, or middle eastern.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Hockey is a part of your culture. Or does multiculturalism mean each culture stays separate from one another and never learn about the other? Canada has many immigrants outside of Europe too. Or does multiculturalism only refer to european and caucasian cultures?
Cultures are different. Of course, you can cringe "discrimination" here and introduce racial (national) quotas + affirmative action.

One of the staples of Canadian Multiculturalism was to maintain the cultures of the countries of origin, as opposite to melting pot concept. Therefore not everyone choose the traditional Canadian culture - which is hockey.

A person cannot live in different cultures at the same time. Learning and living are two different things.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
No asian, or middle eastern.
So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada