Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,705,840 times

Advertisements

AJ, I think you mean flags have been lowered in memory of "aborted" babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:14 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I was wondering about that...

Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM

676 posts, read 950,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I thought maybe he meant they were mourning the babies adopted by gay parents

Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Uhh no I meant "aborted"

Old 09-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
As per the BNA Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Protestants are allows their own separate school and they do have at least one in Ontario:

Burkevale – Burkevale Protestant Separate School

to the best of my knowledge, that is the only one; nut the princip,le still stands that this Constitutional privilege stops at Catholics and Protestants.
Hey that's quite unique. Never heard of that.

I guess all of the hundreds of other formerly Protestant public schools in Ontario transitioned to regular public non-confessional schools over time, but this one did not. Nor did its school board - which exists just for this one school.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:34 PM

It's worth noting that the constitutional requirement for separate religious (as exists in Ontario) is not unchangeable.

Quebec used to have this constitutional requirement as well but requested a constitutional amendment and made the change in the 1990s. Newfoundland did the same thing during that decade as well.

Ontario could do the same if it wanted to.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe he thought it was a joke because you said UN HCR (High Commission for Refugees) as opposed to UN HRC (Human Rights Commission).

Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I think it was two Ontario elections ago. The Greens said they wanted to get rid of funding for all religious schools and the PCs suggested funding for all schools. The Liberals defended the status quo and the NDP stayed mum on the subject. the parties won more or less in relation to their support for the system, with the Liberals on top and the Greens at the bottom. Even the PCs suffered from this.
It always blows my mind how Catholic schools are such a sacred cow for so many people in Ontario. To the point where you can lose an election over it - even though the province is not majority Catholic.

Or maybe it shouldn't surprise me.

The dirty little secret is that Catholic schools are seen as a convenient way by many parents to isolate their kids from "ESL" immigrant kids. Since the vast majority of FOB immigrants in Ontario are not Catholic, most Catholic schools have far lower percentages of immigrant kids than public schools. The contrast between the two systems is particularly striking. "Ethnic" kids in Catholic schools tend to be Italian or Portuguese kids whose families have been in Canada for several generations, so they're Canadianized.

Now, the ultimate quasi-private-school-on-the-public-purse is French immersion in an Ontario Catholic school. Because the requirement to be able to take your subjects in a second language basically skims of all of the kids who are learning-challenged. So those schools are even more élite and expunged.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It always blows my mind how Catholic schools are such a sacred cow for so many people in Ontario. To the point where you can lose an election over it - even though the province is not majority Catholic.

Or maybe it shouldn't surprise me.

The dirty little secret is that Catholic schools are seen as a convenient way by many parents to isolate their kids from "ESL" immigrant kids. Since the vast majority of FOB immigrants in Ontario are not Catholic, most Catholic schools have far lower percentages of immigrant kids than public schools. The contrast between the two systems is particularly striking. "Ethnic" kids in Catholic schools tend to be Italian or Portuguese kids whose families have been in Canada for several generations, so they're Canadianized.

Now, the ultimate quasi-private-school-on-the-public-purse is French immersion in an Ontario Catholic school. Because the requirement to be able to take your subjects in a second language basically skims of all of the kids who are learning-challenged. So those schools are even more élite and expunged.
The Catholic school my nieces and nephews attended here had Sikhs and Muslims and recent ethnic types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada