Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,726,267 times

Advertisements

Is Hearst Ontario's most Francophone town? Does that mean I can't order grits for breakfast?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CH9Q2no2FUY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Yeah, there's Hearst and there's also Hawkesbury and Casselman in eastern Ontario between Ottawa and Montreal. The latter two have similar francophone shares of their population - just under 90% I think.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:06 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,726,267 times
We're these communities named by Anglo-Canadians before the Quebeckers came?

Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Francophone towns with anglophone names anywhere in Canada including Quebec were generally company towns. The company owners and bosses were anglophones and the labour and general population were primarily francophones. Often the population of these towns was mainly francophone from the get-go, or at least very early on.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:25 PM

A lot of these places when they were much smaller had French or aboriginal names.

Hawkesbury was Le Chenail I think.

Bathurst NB was Népisiguit and Edmundston NB was Petit-Sault.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:31 AM

676 posts, read 951,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, there's Hearst and there's also Hawkesbury and Casselman in eastern Ontario between Ottawa and Montreal. The latter two have similar francophone shares of their population - just under 90% I think.
I've read that Sudbury is something like 16 percent Francophone and Timmins nearly 40 percent. Not sure if you or anyone else has been there but I'm curious to know if you can actually get by with just French in any of these places (as a visitor, not career-wise). Do you get a hi-bonjour at stores?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I've read that Sudbury is something like 16 percent Francophone and Timmins nearly 40 percent. Not sure if you or anyone else has been there but I'm curious to know if you can actually get by with just French in any of these places (as a visitor, not career-wise). Do you get a hi-bonjour at stores?
Not really. It takes a much higher percentage of francophones in the population outside Quebec to get systematic bilingual services that the percentage of anglophones seemingly required for the same in Quebec.

Sudbury is actually probably about one third francophone. Timmins is about as you said. Cornwall is a quarter to a third. In none of these cities is French service anywhere near English service in Montreal. Same goes for Ottawa where 15% of the city is francophone, but Gatineau is literally right next door and 85% francophone. Yet French service in Ottawa is very hit and miss. English service in Gatineau is much easier to obtain.

The only places in Ontario where you can truly count on service in French are these places where the overwhelmingly majority of people are francophones: Hearst, Hawkesbury, Casselman.

As soon as the francophone share goes below even two thirds, French service in businesses, etc. becomes rarer and even starts to disappear.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,509,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I'm from Sudbury and now living in Gatineau, QC....annnnnd I don't really speak French. I feel like Sudbury has quite possibly more than 16% of its population Francophone. Laurentian University is one of few universities that delivers pretty well any of its programs in French. We also have a college that is entirely French-speaking. I always kind of felt like every fourth or fifth person around had the language at their disposal. Well, like, a Northern Ontario version of it, anyways.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:50 AM

2,887 posts, read 5,111,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The only places in Ontario where you can truly count on service in French are these places where the overwhelmingly majority of people are francophones: Hearst, Hawkesbury, Casselman.

As soon as the francophone share goes below even two thirds, French service in businesses, etc. becomes rarer and even starts to disappear.
Maybe Kaspuskasing too? It is 2/3rds French-speaking.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:09 PM

28 posts, read 31,528 times
Of the cities that speak French, which are old towns like Quebec?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada