Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It seem so ludicrous to me that any thoughtful adult thinks that there are only two opinions about any political subject - a united far righty opinion and a united far lefty opinion and one of those opinions is always correct. That kind of thinking reminds me of my black and white thinking as a child. I discovered shades of gray as a teenager.
That's because a lot of humans still believe in a black and white mentality, whereas politics tend to involve lots of grey in them. I dislike the left/right labels as they are too simplistic. Many individuals incorporate traits from both groups.

I tend to support very progressive ideas (LGBT rights, freedom of expression, SSM, no censorship, in favour of multicultarism in general...) but I'm skeptical about the role of religion in society.

I have no issue with Muslims coming to Canada, but I do believe that religious ideology can be very problematic and may of those problems go far beyond simple radicalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Immigration is a good think as long as the needs of a country are met.

That much is correct. It is silly to claim that all Muslims believe in hatred. Christianity was extreme in the past and still is in some ways, but in many of the countries where it is the dominant religion, the religion holds little power.
However, it’s the mentality of Islam that is the problem. Many Muslims believe that their religion represents the final will of god and that people should convert to it. The Quran is essentially your third edition of a book, with the disclaimer “revised and updated”. When the new edition comes out, what happens to the previous ones? They get phased out. According to them, Islam is meant to replace Judaism and Christianity, two religions that were stepping stones needed to reach the final one. Islam is not just a religion, but a way of life. It takes precedent over any other form of identity, be it nationhood, political affiliation, social standing...

Understanding the relationship between adherents and their religion is key here, as it plays a crucial role in defining the Muslim viewpoint.

What country got bombed to ashes? So melodramatic. I can assure you, all of them are standing, even if they were hit.

None of these attacks also really have anything to do with interventions in the ME, despite what the attackers may claim. They are using those incidents, because they know people are too gullible. Most of the attackers couldn’t give a crap about Syria or any other incident in the ME.
Why the attacks are more common nowadays? Well, they saw an avenue by which they can infiltrate western countries. The ultimate goal is to ensure their religion triumphs over all others. They have been attacking Europe for well over a 1000 years.
Do people not realise that many Christians also believe that their religion represents the final will of God and that people ought to convert to it?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It seem so ludicrous to me that any thoughtful adult thinks that there are only two opinions about any political subject - a united far righty opinion and a united far lefty opinion and one of those opinions is always correct. That kind of thinking reminds me of my black and white thinking as a child. I discovered shades of gray as a teenager.
I think most Canadians eventually realize that politics is not right/left or zero/one; and comes down to shades of grey.

One reason is because we simply don't have two political parties that get all the attention. Currently, five parties sit in the federal Parliament--yes, the Liberal Party holds a majority of seats and forms the government, but in order to implement its agenda, the Liberal Party must face some tough questions from the other parties, not all of which hold the same views on issues. How the Liberal Party answers those questions that come from a variety of views, can make or break it at the next election.

But I think the most important reason is that Canadians tend to develop their own views about issues. It is entirely possible--I might go so far as to say likely--that somewhere, a few Liberal Party supporters are grumbling about Justin Trudeau's "Welcome to all" tweet, and the fallout from it. Similarly, some Conservative Party supporters undoubtedly feel that the legalization of marijuana is no big deal; and some NDP supporters don't give a fig for the environment. Their views on these issues may not make a difference at election time--or they may, who knows?

But the point is, there is no, "Our party supports X, Y, and Z; and unless you support all three issues, you are not one of us," as I understand US politics has become. A diversity of political views is a welcome thing in Canada, because it gets us talking about issues, and taking a closer look at them. Which is only ever a good thing.

"Shades of grey" work best, in my opinion. Good point, Irene.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:32 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
No your statement doesn't make sense because you're taking a general group (liberals) and generalizing them all as if you can't be a liberal if you don't support Islam, which isn't true at all. There are lots of liberals who actually hate religion in general of all kinds including Islam. You are too concerned with political labels as if liberalism and conservatism are the only thing that matters in your world and your way is the right way, which is exactly the mentality Muslim extremists like ISIS have. That is not right, and you should not be generalizing people like that and calling them names.
No, I am talking about nutbag liberals. I'm a social liberal and there's been a ton of progress that could easily be undone by a fresh new large group of socially conservative voters. The idea that such people can be shown the light and come around to a whole new set of values is pie in the sky.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I think most Canadians eventually realize that politics is not right/left or zero/one; and comes down to shades of grey.

One reason is because we simply don't have two political parties that get all the attention. Currently, five parties sit in the federal Parliament--yes, the Liberal Party holds a majority of seats and forms the government, but in order to implement its agenda, the Liberal Party must face some tough questions from the other parties, not all of which hold the same views on issues. How the Liberal Party answers those questions that come from a variety of views, can make or break it at the next election.

But I think the most important reason is that Canadians tend to develop their own views about issues. It is entirely possible--I might go so far as to say likely--that somewhere, a few Liberal Party supporters are grumbling about Justin Trudeau's "Welcome to all" tweet, and the fallout from it. Similarly, some Conservative Party supporters undoubtedly feel that the legalization of marijuana is no big deal; and some NDP supporters don't give a fig for the environment. Their views on these issues may not make a difference at election time--or they may, who knows?

But the point is, there is no, "Our party supports X, Y, and Z; and unless you support all three issues, you are not one of us," as I understand US politics has become. A diversity of political views is a welcome thing in Canada, because it gets us talking about issues, and taking a closer look at them. Which is only ever a good thing.

"Shades of grey" work best, in my opinion. Good point, Irene.
True. And I hope that the whole liberal versus conservative nonsense never takes root in Canada.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
I support gay marriage. Muslims invariably do not.

I support equality for women. Muslims generally do not.

I support a woman's right to make reproductive choices for herself. Muslims do not.

I support voluntary integration of different social groups. Muslims are notorious for self-segregating.

I support interfaith marriage. Few Muslims do.

Which of the above should we turn back the clock on to make our new guests feel welcome?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I support gay marriage. Muslims invariably do not.

I support equality for women. Muslims generally do not.

I support a woman's right to make reproductive choices for herself. Muslims do not.

I support voluntary integration of different social groups. Muslims are notorious for self-segregating.

I support interfaith marriage. Few Muslims do.

Which of the above should we turn back the clock on to make our new guests feel welcome?
Hmm. I'd venture to say that the majority of my neighbours would be of the same opinion as the Muslms.

I've noted another "can this be a coincidence, coincidence" though - these terrorists all tend to be men.

ETA: and just why would you think immigration and "turning back the clock" go hand in hand?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 PM

295 posts, read 263,914 times
Quote:
The suspect accused of stabbing a police officer before crashing a speeding U-Haul van into a crowd of people in Edmonton, Canada, had come to the country from Somalia trying to claim refugee status, police revealed.

Officers took the 30-year-old suspect into custody and he apparently acted alone, Edmonton Police Chief Rod Knecht said. Officers said pending charges included terrorism and five counts of attempted murder, but they did not reveal his name.

An Islamic State flag was found in the car that hit the officer, according to Knecht.

The suspect was known to both Edmonton police and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Marlin Degrand, assistant commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, said the man was flagged in 2015 for extremist ideologies and police interviewed him at the time, but he said charges were not warranted after an "exhaustive investigation." It was not clear when he first traveled to Canada.
No, he was not a Mennonite, a Mormon, or an Orthodox Jew, what a surprise. And he was known to police, but police did nothing useful as usual.

It was truly a miracle that no loss of life occurred given how deadly car attack could be.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
No, he was not a Mennonite, a Mormon, or an Orthodox Jew, what a surprise. And he was known to police, but police did nothing useful as usual.
What would you suggest police have done?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:03 PM

295 posts, read 263,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
What would you suggest police have done?
Arrest and deport. Very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada