Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

For over 25 years I've been close friends with an Asian lady I met while she was emigrating to Canada. She has since married and has a family, but we have remained in touch, and it was my privilege to host them for a weekend two years ago; we now have an opportunity to reciprocate coming up.

My friends know I'm somewhat of a baseball fan, so as a thank-you, they brought along an "orphan" Montreal Expos T-shirt; so now I'm looking something that Canadians, albeit naturalized, might think of, but which an "Amerk" might ordinarily not. Any suggestions are welcome and FWIW, I've made at least a dozen visits to Canada and have additional familiarity via media, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
A Flyers Jersey?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:57 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Sorry I meant to say "Phillies"...hockey you know.

But seriously, Canadians are just like anybody else, they like gifts that are unique, stuff that you can't get here...I think a Phillies or Flyers jersey fills that requirement quite nicely.

$$$..or just a tee might be better, actually.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:01 PM

Well, I know that my "Canasian crew" knows the meaning of the term "Habs", (and who Tim Horton was), but not much more on the subject of hockey.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-15-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
So you want a gift that says "Canada" or you want a gift for Canadians that says "America" since they are coming to visit you in America? It seems that they brought you a gift that is uniquely Canadian and therefore you mean to be saying you want gift ideas that say "America" to Canadians?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
A large bottle of good quality brandy. Duty free, alcohol is so expensive in Canada. I might think of more stuff tomorrow..

Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Actually, this time around, I'll be visiting them.

Confusing, I know; but what I'm after is something a Canadian would recognize as unique to Canada.

This story might help: As some of us know, immigrants have been a key voting bloc in keeping Quebec in the Dominion; my friends live near Montreal and I happened to pay a visit on the eve of one of the secession referenda. We went down to a flea market and bought a couple of "strong and free" shirts; said we'd tell Monsieur Parizeau (Quebecois' leader) we were thinking about him at the time.

But I didn't mean to diverge into politics or put anyone down; my friends are "citizens of the world", and what happens in Quebec -- happens!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Actually, this time around, I'll be visiting them.

Confusing, I know; but what I'm after is something a Canadian would recognize as unique to Canada.

This story might help: As some of us know, immigrants have been a key voting bloc in keeping Quebec in the Dominion; my friends live near Montreal and I happened to pay a visit on the eve of one of the secession referenda. We went down to a flea market and bought a couple of "strong and free" shirts; said we'd tell Monsieur Parizeau (Quebecois' leader) we were thinking about him at the time.

But I didn't mean to diverge into politics or put anyone down; my friends are "citizens of the world", and what happens in Quebec -- happens!
Well, a lot of things cross over from the US and Canada. Beavers not being unique to Canada and bald eagles not being unique to the U.S.

I'm not sure what you're wanting to spend or whether you want to buy in the US or Canada. I guess the most uniquely Canadian thing would be the RCMP. I think there are knick knacks around for tourists in airports. Something I've been seeing a lot of to represent Canada is the inukshuk. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuksuk There are various sizes of little ornaments like that around, maybe even tee shirts with representations of them.

Then there is the usual maple syrup thing but that seems like bringing coals to Newcastle.

Other Canadian things would be a Hudson Bay blanket and soapstone Inuit carvings, also available in affordable and small sizes in tourist areas and airports.

Last edited by netwit; 10-16-2017 at 12:19 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I have a Habs jersey (#11 -- Gallagher) that I'm willing to part with if you're driving through Ottawa to pick it up.

I like the stuff on this site: Gift Ideas | Canada The Store

Whatever you decide to bring, I hope that you have a great time with your "Canasian crew."

Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink IN California View Post
do people make "I'm Canadian but I was I was American" bumper stickers? I think that could be good and summaries my interactions with Canadians.
No, because we never say "I was I was" ... and, having lived in both countries, I don't *wish* that I was American instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada