Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not about what you think. Genetic factors play a much larger role than anything else, and more than we think. We think we can do a lot, but not really to make our kids more successful.

Yes in some schools you may learn more "knowledge", but that doesn't necessarily translate into success in real life. Talent is far more important than hard work, whether we believe it or not.

However. it is up for the parents to decide if they want to spend a lot of money in expensive school.
I agree with the part about schooling as far too many people place a high value on pure knowledge whereas life is not constricted to the info-dumps found in many schools.

If genetics play such a big role, does it mean that we are limited in what we can accomplish in our lives? By extension, it implies that some people are better than others (I use the word better rather liberally here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:05 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I agree with the part about schooling as far too many people place a high value on pure knowledge whereas life is not constricted to the info-dumps found in many schools.

If genetics play such a big role, does it mean that we are limited in what we can accomplish in our lives? By extension, it implies that some people are better than others (I use the word better rather liberally here).
Some people are definitely better at certain things than others. This includes school I guess.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Quebec parents who are interested in private school are fortunate in that the Ministry of Education subsidizes private schools (subject to certain conditions).

The Ministry pays to a private school roughly what they'd pay for the kid a public school. The parents pay the rest which is usually 2500-3000 dollars. So it puts private school within reach for most families if their kids can pass the admission exams.

In Ontario there is zero subsidy which is why it is so much more expensive.

Though the Quebec model is not without controversy.
Not to be a smarty pants ... ( teachers everywhere feel free to start throwing tomatoes at me ) ... but I think if you want to aim super high you got to think outside the box. At the end of the day if I was super creative and super innovative I would never work as a teacher in elementary or high school ? Most of the people that I went to school with that ended up as teachers where no the cream of the crop. They were the "I dont really know what else to do with my degree types". There are too many kids in the classes to have meaningful interactions with the bulk of them.

So in short ... if chances are you are somewhat more accomplished then the person teaching your kid ... you might have to actually put more effort in to mentoring your kid.

Some teachers are fabulous mentors and motivators ... but they can only do so much with the time and resources they are given.

I got my kid in to this specialty 1 week day camp. No way that stuff was being taught at her age any of the schools she went too. They were learning about all sort of aspects of engineering and mechanics that I dont even recall being expsoed to in advanced classes in high school. It was hands on and technical. If you dont give someone the opportunity to try something they can't really know if they will be able to learn it or be interested in the topic.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Some people are definitely better at certain things than others. This includes school I guess.
Sure, but it usually comes down to who decides to put in the effort to master the material being taught, rather than just cram information for the purpose of clearing exams. Some students pay attention in class while others don’t which is often the result of interest. Can we really simplify scholastic knowledge down to genetic inheritance?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Sure, but it usually comes down to who decides to put in the effort to master the material being taught, rather than just cram information for the purpose of clearing exams. Some students pay attention in class while others don’t which is often the result of interest. Can we really simplify scholastic knowledge down to genetic inheritance?
It's a not a popular thing to say I guess but if we're going to say that genetics play into varying abilities in everything ranging from ice skating to piano to singing to painting, I don't see why academics would be exempt from this.

Of course, limitations can be overcome through effort and determination, but in many cases only to a certain point.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
After our negative experience sending our older daughter to private school we gave our second daughter her own choice as to what high school she wanted to attend, she chose well one of the best public high schools in Montreal she went on to CGEP at Dawson then a 3 year degree at McGill then a one year post graduate degree at BCIT, she is now making mega bucks in the tech industry.
IMO it has to do with how motivated a kid is when it comes to learning and not about how strict the educational environment,ultimately we want them to be happy and successful .

Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After our negative experience sending our older daughter to private school we gave our second daughter her own choice as to what high school she wanted to attend, she chose well one of the best public high schools in Montreal she went on to CGEP at Dawson then a 3 year degree at McGill then a one year post graduate degree at BCIT, she is now making mega bucks in the tech industry.
IMO it has to do with how motivated a kid is when it comes to learning and not about how strict the educational environment,ultimately we want them to be happy and successful .
I think the happy factor is most critical. What is the point of pushing a kid so hard they are miserable and end up killing themselves because of all the stress.

I have this friend that a made recently that has a really good job. She did excellent in school ex went to an extremely difficult school to get in to and got top marks. When we where talking things she mentioned how to some extend she regrets not living more when she was in her teens and 20s because she was always studying she feels like she lost out on so much in life.

Ex while I was roaming around Europe she was in Summer school etc.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM

My kids are up to their eyeballs in activities (at their behest BTW) in addition to extremely demanding school lives, and one of them just asked to join the school band - on one of the only free nights of the week!

First practice is tonight.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 PM

Default .......

Quote:
My kids are up to their eyeballs in activities (at their behest BTW) in addition to extremely demanding school lives, and one of them just asked to join the school band - on one of the only free nights of the week!

First practice is tonight.
I have mixed feelings about this. I like to be super busy and thrive in this type of pace... I have seen lots of kids and adults get anxious, overwhelmed, stressed and confused with too many expectations above and beyond school.

I go back and forth with my own kid regarding this.

As someone who loved to over schedule things.... I have learned to pay attention of over people's needs when doing so as what one person finds pleasant and be a negative experience for someone else.

I have found my daughter has actually straight out said no Ibam not willing to do this or that or go here and there and try to respect that too. I am only willing to encourage to a certain point because at the end of the day we are not the same person and she will have her own interests and opinions which matters. I am not always right... no one is always right and I hope to be raising a critical thinker rather then a people pleaser. For example I would love her to join soccer.... despite my encouragement she maintains she hates soccer and wantrd to try basket ball.

I had this debate with a freind who has her kids that are 4 and 6 in something most night. I asked her how they decided what to put the kids in. Her daughter is taking ballet yet her some is doing more sports type things. We are both feminists and out spoken. Long story short I eventually got her to realized she stuck het kid in ballet for her own reasons and not based on her kids interests lol.

On a side note I got shoved I to ballers and jazz classes for the same dumb reasons. What I got out of it body image issues .... anxiety about dancing in front of people and a real dislike towards to hold positions.... I would have got a lot more out of doing a sport or tech type thing. ..... but thanks for trying mom

Last edited by klmrocks; 11-07-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 11-08-2017, 07:40 AM

Well, my kids don't do anything at all in terms of activities in June, July and August. It's swimming in the pool, riding their bikes, chilling with friends, going to the ice cream shop... all summer long.

But by the time late August rolls around, they're itching to start their activities in September.

I guess it all depends on the kid and the activity. They tried a number of things when they were much younger and gave up on a whole bunch, before finally latching onto stuff that they really liked. They've been in this routine for almost a decade now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada