Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
About three weeks into -40 with windchill and I'm not even thinking garden!

My sister-in-law called yesterday and was talking about how lucky we are here in Manitoba that we don't have to deal with the weather the east coast is or was getting. I didn't say anything
They're pruning some trees across the way from me. Spring is coming up fast ...sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually here in the USA Charleston SC is one of the nicest historical cities, tons of really old homes and streets. There is a lot more there than in Jamestown Va. St. Augustine Florida is also supposed to be very nice too but as of yet I have not been to that city.

I have always wanted to visit Quebec City. I hear it’s the closest thing you will find in North America to a European experience. However it is very far from where I live in the southern US so it is kind of a difficult and likely expensive place for me to visit. I bet y’all get a lot of US visitors from the north east states though.
You could make it a much bigger trip.Fly to Toronto, enjoy all that it has to offer. Then take the train or fly to Montreal and enjoy that city...and then head to Quebec City for a few days.

I agree that the expense and effort to just go to Quebec City wouldn't be worth it. It's a nice place, but as add-on to a trip to Montreal.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:25 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Been there several times in my life.

I think Montreal has a larger draw and overshadows Quebec City. Plus in my travels to the two cities, I have noticed more of an "anti-American" feel to Quebec City. Don't take it as anything extreme and not hating, but just a feeling I get when I go there.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

I think Montreal has a larger draw and overshadows Quebec City. Plus in my travels to the two cities, I have noticed more of an "anti-American" feel to Quebec City. Don't take it as anything extreme and not hating, but just a feeling I get when I go there.
Can you provide some more context? The overwhelming majority of people in Quebec City can’t make the difference between someone from the US and someone from Ontario.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They're pruning some trees across the way from me. Spring is coming up fast ...sorry
This is why people hate Vancouver

Old 01-05-2018, 12:41 PM

213 posts, read 227,669 times
Quote:
Nope. Not the same.

This article clarifies it all.

"I watched television programs that would occasionally mention American cheese from an outside the USA perspective and it was more of the same. Food and cooking videos often warn you not to defile their recipe with American cheese while showing a picture or otherwise implying that Velveeta or Kraft singles are American cheese. Even television programs and YouTube videos from Americans didn’t help the matter by constantly making the same mistake. If you search Google images for “American cheese” you will mainly see images of Kraft singles and similar products. Well, no wonder the rest of the world snubs their noses at American cheese! They think American cheese is Kraft singles! If that was true I would completely agree that it is garbage, but it is all a terrible misunderstanding. I want to try to set things straight.

American Cheese (Clearing Up a Global Misunderstanding) | The Cooking Geek
Hmmm. I'm 46 years old, grew up in the US and lived there most of my life, and this is the first I've ever heard of an "American cheese" that isn't a square piece of plastic.

I've also never seen "American cheese" that isn't dyed jack-o-lantern orange.

I'll think about it. Lol.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:43 PM

213 posts, read 227,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Okay, you can't just leave that hanging there. Please describe this "anti-American" feel you've experienced.

I've been to QC many times and have never experienced this at all. Not even a little.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Hmmm. I'm 46 years old, grew up in the US and lived there most of my life, and this is the first I've ever heard of an "American cheese" that isn't a square piece of plastic.

I've also never seen "American cheese" that isn't dyed jack-o-lantern orange.

I'll think about it. Lol.
It is plastic IMO opinion, but it comes in blocks as well. I was just in the US and saw it in both form, alongside Kraft Singles.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
It is plastic IMO opinion, but it comes in blocks as well. I was just in the US and saw it in both form, alongside Kraft Singles.
So there's the proof! The stuff really exists.

I don't think I've ever heard of "American cheese." We just call it cheese or we specify a type, like cheddar or muenster or even the Italian mozzarella. People used to eat orange Velveeta brand cheese in mac and cheese but I don't think it's very popular anymore--it's very melty and good though in mac and cheese. Kraft singles come wrapped individually in plastic and taste of nothing--waste of money "cheese."

We have Vermont cheddar for cheese and that's really good.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:49 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
You could make it a much bigger trip.Fly to Toronto, enjoy all that it has to offer. Then take the train or fly to Montreal and enjoy that city...and then head to Quebec City for a few days.

I agree that the expense and effort to just go to Quebec City wouldn't be worth it. It's a nice place, but as add-on to a trip to Montreal.
Actually I’ve been to Toronto and much of Western Ontario. I once lived in upper Michigan and spent a lot of time in Western Ontario. I should have found a way to see Quebec when I lived there, but even from there it was quite a trip.

I’m thinking we will go up there one day when I am retired. It would be easy to do alongside a New England trip in an RV. I really do want to see Quebec in general, not just Quebec City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada