Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
And ironically it will contribute to another increase in the cost living.
Like a dog chasing it’s tail
That is how it always seems to go. Cost of living increases, salaries increase, minimum wage increases, and round and round it goes. I think it's good that young adults earn a bit more. Their rents won't increase overnight, so they will have more pocket money for a while. During that time they can continue to pursue studies for careers in fields that involve more than flipping a piece of meat all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 02:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think the majority of minimum wage earners are young, with many being students and new immigrants who are looking to add a line to their resumes that says they are hard-working, responsible, and have integrity. Many professionals who are new immigrants/refugees have to wait months to become qualified in their professions in Canada, but they don't want to do nothing while they wait.

I doubt that the average person with a normal IQ looks at flipping burgers as a life long career, and I'm not convinced that those in minimum wage jobs are dissatisfied with their pay. In fact, those who have minimum wage jobs are usually pretty happy with the income and opportunity to live on their own and start life as a independent adult.

I think that this is a government decision to increase minimum wage to reflect the increase in the cost of living rather than a bunch of whiners who are unhappy with the pay they receive in their first job.
Humans are a diverse species, some are very highly ambitious and wanna be rich, some are lazy, some just want the necessities in life... its up to Governments to make sure everyone can at least live a decent life... you dont get to say, hey you all need to work how i want you to work! and if you don't you are all going to get thrown under the bus!

Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Humans are a diverse species, some are very highly ambitious and wanna be rich, some are lazy, some just want the necessities in life... its up to Governments to make sure everyone can at least live a decent life... you dont get to say, hey you all need to work how i want you to work! and if you don't you are all going to get thrown under the bus!
I like your thought process in this post. It reminds me of Star Trek TNG or the Orville where the basic needs of everyone are met and people work doing something they are passionate about. It really changes the calculus of things in any society if all the fundamentals ie shelter, food, healthcare are all ensured for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada