U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM

355 posts, read 165,355 times

Advertisements

In October the minimum wage increased to $13.60 / hr and is set to be $15.00/hr by October 2018. This seems great, (but is it). I am inclined to think it is a double edged sword. Paying employees more money means businesses have charge more to cover costs. Perhaps even downsize the amount of people they employ. I'm on the fence with this one. More pay also means the federal government gets more.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 01:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,131,752 times
It will go from $11.60 to $14.00 here on Jan 1.

I think it's a very stupid move, brought forward by people who want to push their agenda without thinking things through properly.

This is what will happen:

1. Everything will be more expensive
2. Companies will have to decide whether they will raise their entire wage scale and layoff new hires
3. there will be a huge increase in people earning minimum wage

I'm sure there are a few more...

Old 12-03-2017, 06:52 PM

355 posts, read 165,355 times
I agree

Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM
BMI

5,422 posts, read 2,908,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post

I think it's a very stupid move, brought forward by people who want to push their agenda without thinking things through properly.

2. Companies will have to decide whether they will raise their entire wage scale and layoff new hires

I noticed various fast food restaurants already raising prices (slightly)
to compensate. We will all pay for the increased wages when enjoying Tim’s, Wendy’s, and
my fave ...Big M

Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,383,986 times
Hopefully it will begin a game change in evaluating which employees are above and beyond, and which are just there for the ride, and the leave for home early.

IMO having run a company for ten years and been an employee from wage to salary, people are either worth 50. an hour or 5 cents an hour, and there aren't many in between!! BUT it's the "mandate of management" to find out which is which!!!

After all, companies tried "temp" workers for almost 25 years at a book-out of 25 an hour AND MORE, and it took "management" a quarter of a century to find out THAT THAT doesn't work!!!!

Last edited by thedwightguy; 01-02-2018 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: finish sentence

Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM

827 posts, read 661,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post

So where do you draw the line then? You would prefer minimum wage to be very little like $4 an hour? No minimum wage? Why are you saying it is a bad move then? The minimum wage should be a living wage. This is good news. One guy who owns a local business has been paying their cooks and waiters $15 dollars an hours all the way back when the wage was $8 hour. Businesses should always be prepared for government intervention. It's also a myth that everything gets more expensive when the minimum wage increases. This may be true for places that pay their employees minimum wage like fast food restaurants, but it doesn't change the entire dynamic and it helps people who are living in poverty and rely on food stamps.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM

30,583 posts, read 47,130,434 times
^^^ I agree!!!
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-03-2018, 01:43 PM

4,583 posts, read 4,866,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post

........ but it doesn't change the entire dynamic and it helps people who are living in poverty and rely on food stamps.
I agree with all of your points you made but since this pertains to Alberta I just want to mention that there's no such thing as food stamps in Canada.

Canadians who live in poverty have to make do with whatever their income affords them and those who can provide proof that they have below a certain level of income are eligible to go to the Food Bank once a week. Food Banks rely on food donations from the civil sector and charitable organizations (not government) and people who go to Food Banks for food can't just pick and choose whatever they want, they have to take whatever is already pre-bagged and then handed across the counter to them.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:32 PM

4,602 posts, read 7,497,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with all of your points you made but since this pertains to Alberta I just want to mention that there's no such thing as food stamps in Canada.

Canadians who live in poverty have to make do with whatever their income affords them and those who can provide proof that they have below a certain level of income are eligible to go to the Food Bank once a week. Food Banks rely on food donations from the civil sector and charitable organizations (not government) and people who go to Food Banks for food can't just pick and choose whatever they want, they have to take whatever is already pre-bagged and then handed across the counter to them.

Also food in this country can be significantly more expensive than in comparable parts of the US even without their food stamps program. Food insecurity is an issue for many Canadians.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM

4,924 posts, read 5,641,349 times
I didn't know that that's how food banks work. How do they deal with special needs? Example, if one family needs milk and another family doesn't drink milk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada