Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not confusing anything. I am talking about how employers look at applicants and how they got their degree.
As I said, they are more " accepted " now than a few years back but as Zoiste points out employers may question an applicant interpersonal skills. Employers often want leaders, and proving those skills if you've only gotten your degrees online, may be difficult, or at the very least put you behind another applicant.

That is why I'm saying it's not exactly the same type of education.
I agree with you, Nat, but I think that Saturno has a point also.

Having done two degrees in my life, I wonder whether attendance in a lecture theatre or seminar room was necessary in all cases. Certainly, it was worthwhile in my undergraduate years, when a spirited class discussion was followed by a dissection of the discussion in the caf over coffee (plus assorted griping about the professor). Such things brought us all together, and we could share knowledge. And in law school lectures, the Socratic Method, much as I hated it, was a valuable learning tool.

But a few of my courses in law school were what we called "paper courses," in which your final grade was determined by the essay that you turned in at the end of the semester. Class work and participation counted for little to nothing (maybe 10% of the final grade, if that). I attended these classes, but saw little use in attending, if all I needed to do was submit a passing-grade paper. For classes such as these, online learning might have worked just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Having done two degrees in my life, I wonder whether attendance in a lecture theatre or seminar room was necessary in all cases. Certainly, it was worthwhile in my undergraduate years, when a spirited class discussion was followed by a dissection of the discussion in the caf over coffee (plus assorted griping about the professor). Such things brought us all together, and we could share knowledge. And in law school lectures, the Socratic Method, much as I hated it, was a valuable learning tool.

Just to clarify, some colleges organize video conference sessions for students to exchange ideas and debates....may not be the same thing but still....

Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
*** UPDATE ***

My post #12 talked about the high price for GENERIC drugs in Canada and linked to an article about advantages of a switch to public tendering. Announced today:

Generic drug industry agrees to cut prices up to 40% in 5-year deal with provinces - Health - CBC News
I'm still waiting for a national drug plan, but this is good news as well.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Online education is now fully accepted and you do not provide leadership skills just because you pursued a traditional degree rather than online. Employers look for interdisciplinary activities and interests, what you have done (or doing) outside of school, volunteering, etc...someone that got his/her degree online is no penalized whatsoever....I admit it may be different in Canada (as you know, I left 16 years ago) but not here.
It's not different and I wasn't implying that online is not acceptable. Except for the newer and faster technology involved, online courses are really no different from correspondence courses.

Correspondence courses have been offered and acceptable in both Canada and USA for at least the past 100 years that I know of, probably longer. My dad first started taking correspondence courses in 1915 to get his degrees. Being out in the boonies on the prairies and in no position to just stop working and leave their family homesteads to attend university it was the only way for him and his siblings to get higher educations. There were 12 siblings in his family, all were responsible for large parcels of land to run, and all of them ended up taking correspondence degreed courses after completing their secondary education in the one room school house in their region.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I find things of lower quality cheaper in the U.S. For example, you can definitely get certain no name brand stuff at Dollar Tree or Aldi generally cheaper than no name stuff here in Canada. We don't have Aldi - yet. Brand name items of a quality you'd want I don't really find it cheaper. A bag of Cheetos is about the same here as there. A bottle of Tylenol same thing, but you can get a bottle of Dollar tree no name acetaminophen cheaper than Dollorama no name stuff. I'm not surprised about your observations about fruit/produce and other items - I find Americans tend to overplay how much cheaper items are down there. You'd see hell freeze over before you'd here Saturno for example have to admit that some items up here may actually be cheaper but alas, if you do an item buy item comparison of what things cost in a large Canadian city to a large American one, i'm not sure there is nearly as much of a price advantage there.
Superstore is as much of a no-name place as Aldi, if not more-so. Heck Joe Fresh is even sold upmarket here.

Sure it's easy to emphasize how much cheaper things are here, and you're right, a lot will be a wash, but many pages in this thread seem to show exactly how few things are actually less. Especially when you get to bigger ticket items. Cars, furniture, tax deductions, fuel costs, fresh food costs, all significantly less in the US.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
a lot will be a wash,

In my experience a lot is not a wash....food wise, only the very basic stuff is somewhat similar in price....imported stuff forget it (on average).

Cars are cheaper, electronics is cheaper on average, better selection in general, etc...housing is cheaper too.

Mortgage deduction (which is huge)

My dollars go quite farther in the US, is not an illusion.

Only health care is the main item in Canada's favor.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
In my experience a lot is not a wash....food wise, only the very basic stuff is somewhat similar in price....imported stuff forget it (on average).

Cars are cheaper, electronics is cheaper on average, better selection in general, etc...housing is cheaper too.

Agreed. I lived in the U.S. and Canada and it's definitely cheaper to live in the U.S. That's why when people come on this board and say that the COL is so much lower here -- and show websites to "prove" it -- I try to explain that it's just not true.

Even some of the basic food stuff costs much more here -- meat, cheese.

I'm in the process of buying a new car now. Omg, the price difference... Let's not even talk about the price of gas.

Housing too. I could have a SFH in Connecticut for what I paid for this townhouse in Ottawa. Of course the property tax in CT would be sickening... but, as you said, I could have deducted it on my income tax there.

Sigh...

On the plus side, like you said: health care. And we're not ruled by an orange man with tiny hands who calls other places "holes of feces."

Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
And we're not ruled by an orange man with tiny hands who calls other places "holes of feces."
I would not consider little Trudeau less dumb than Trump....

Old 01-31-2018, 05:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
I would not consider little Trudeau less dumb than Trump....
Haha! Maybe I need to run the country (either country).

Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:

You're preaching to the converted. I live in Houston, which is probably one of the cheapest first world cities to live in on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada