Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 06:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
At top news stories they mention NRA is getting dropped by its sponsor companies, the latest being Delta and United. Finally some good moves from one of the most hated companies in America, but they should have never offered discounts to this organization from the beginning.
Nice to see! One of the victims' father is a Captain for United airlines. I'm hoping the momentum on this keeps up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
There is for sure a difference in attitude towards guns between both countries, i don't know the percentage of Canada's urban population but i am sure it is higher than Americas.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
There is for sure a difference in attitude towards guns between both countries, i don't know the percentage of Canada's urban population but i am sure it is higher than Americas.
Canada 82%

United States 82%

As of 2016, they were tied. (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.URB.TOTL.IN.ZS)

Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Even though they are both even in terms of urban population, I would imagine Canadians tend to cluster around larger urban areas vs the U.S. In relative terms The Greater Toronto area is about 1/5 the population of Canada NYC, otoh is 1/14 the population of the U.S. Greater Montreal is 1/8 the population of Canada whilst L.A is 1/18th. Point being, Americans in relative terms are probably more likely to live in a smaller urban area than a larger one vs Canadians.

Even in rural areas of Canada, I don't think the general ideology is as conservative as the U.S. Same thing with smaller cities in the U.S vs Canada in my experience.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:15 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, looking at it from that angle, Canada tends to be a less competitive, aggressive society than the U.S.

There is less societal pressure to be super-successful, and to not be a "loser".

"Making it" seems like a much bigger deal in the U.S., and not making it seems very stigmatized.

So in some cases it's highly possible that people who aren't fitting in with the conventional model of success can sometimes go off the rails.

Great points! Then add in America's fascination with Social Darwinism which puts already desperate stressed out people in even MORE dire straits. The social safety net in america is nothing like Canada or here. Plus it's like a scarlet letter to get help in america if you're down on your luck

Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I love Canadian nationalism. enjoy your beautiful and perfect nation.
They DO!! Enjoy dodging bullets

Old 02-25-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
What "consequnces" of the right to carry firearms for protection we are reaping today?? That is quite insulting....
There are 17 grieving families in Florida that might be able to answer that. The armed good guys didn't save ANYONE did they?

Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think this is a very fair observation. It also speaks to the more egalitarian nature of our values. Universal Healthcare is beloved up here. Tommy Douglass is a national treasure but in the U.S, that idea is just not supported in a widespread manner or at least in as widespread a manner as up here.

I've never owned a gun, never had a reason to want to own or even handle one. I feel no fear going out at any time of day or night of being physically harmed or needing to defend myself with a deadly weapon. I don't hunt, have no desire to hunt and if I want to eat something including meat, I go to grocery store. I have fished before, but I didn't shoot the fish, I used a fishing rod.

What enemy though? A foreign power. An intercontinental ballistic missile from North Korea? I just don't really see this as being practicably necessary given the fact that the only enemy that is a threat is a country that would want to invade us. In this case, depending on who it is I don't think armed citizens are going to be able to do much in a modern day theatre of war. Now, if we were invaded and occupied that may be a different case ie engaging in guerilla warfare but I just don't see the probability of that happening in modern times. It could but just unlikely.

Many Americans saw too many movies and envision themselves taking out the Soviet or NK armed forces, as well as taking out the US GOVT if they need to. I'd pay good money to see THAT mismatch!
Very macho and delusional crew there. Carry over from the War of Independence!

Old 02-25-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Indeed, well said!!
I lived america for 48 years and he summed up a lot of you all with his statement. Americans are so defensive about their mass shootings. That alone speaks volumes. That and America is loaded with cowards that cannot handle ANY stressful situation or confrontation without involvement of firearms.
The days of " Try it and I'll knock your block off" are replaced by " try it and my .45 will take care of you"!

Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
Hearts fire.

You might want to proof read your words, before hitting the send button.

Cruising the border is what I think you meant ?

CBSA does seize weapons on a regular basis, but they only get a percentage of the total number.

If a Canadian wants to.....They can drive to a US gun show, and in most States, buy a hand gun for cash. that is stupid.

In my opinion, Canadians in general would agree with Fusion about not wanting or needing to own a firearm. Of course, there are legal gun owners in our country, and most of them are OK with the rules and they obey them. We as a country are pretty much a law abiding bunch of people. In the USA the point of view tends towards the idea of........You can't make me do anything, so go pound salt. Or a version thereof.

Freedom. Its a concept that has two polar opposites, between our two countries. Americans in general ( l I know there are exceptions ) seem to be unable to learn from their history of gun glory. Cowboys and gangsters, and the "hero with a gun " are so much a stereotype as to be laughable. In reality, Americans get the results that they create.

Canadians ( again in general ) think that rules that are good for the majority are better than allowing individuals to trample over every one else.

XXX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada