Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,804 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'm an American. But I want to say "shame on you" to all the Canadians that act like hunting is some lost art. Yes, if you life in Toronto, you probably don't hunt. But I know several people that go hunting in Canada every year, as it is easier to get an Elk tag in Canada, as opposed to Montana. Also much easier to hunt Moose in Canada. I'm pretty sure that most people living in Alberta either hunt, or have family members who hunt. No you don't bring your own firearm, the outfitters and guides loan you one. Trust me, there are plenty of rifles in Canada. The laws in Canada are pretty clear on firearms.

Prohibited weapons in Canada:
  • Handguns will barrel lengths less than 106 mm in length (4.17 inches)
  • Handguns that fire 25 or 32 calibre cartridges (this is silly, these are very ineffective calibers)
  • Rifles or shotguns less than 660 mm( 25.98 inches) in length or with a barrel less than 457 mm ( 17.99 inches) in length
  • Automatic weapons

I would fully support these restrictions in the United States, with the exception of the ban on .25 and .32 caliber guns, as that makes no difference today. A .22 can kill you the same as those, and 9 mm, 10 mm, and .45 which are legal, are significantly more powerful.

The problem with the gun control legislation in the U.S, that has passed in states such as CA, MA, CT, MD, VA, is they ban gun features that have no bearing on conceal ability, and seemed geared toward how a firearm looks. Such as, a rifle can't have a flash hider. Why? Mass shooters don't try to conceal themselves from law enforcement at night. They try to kill as many people as possible in a short amount of time. A flash hider on the muzzle, or muzzle brake, doesn't help them at all. It does however help smaller person's, or elderly handle the recoil of a rifle. They want to ban pistol grips on rifles and shotguns, or stocks with thumb holes which aid in accurate shot placement. Again, how does this hinder a mass shooter who is shooting from close range. They want to ban any rifle that can have attachment points for accessories. Or ban rifles that have an adjustable stock. I have an adjustable stock on everyone of my rifles. In the firearms world, it is called a length of pull adjustment. My rifles I use for hunting have most of the features they want to ban.

The states in the U.S that want tougher gun laws, have already enacted them. It will not stop mass killings in those states, which is my biggest problem with these laws. The take rights away from law abiding citizens, and don't actually help anything. People still get murdered in Australia, even after taking away everything but bolt action rifles and single shot shotguns.

I do agree that Canadians are an awesome group of people. They love their country. They don't have celebrities and sports stars spitting on their flag, a media bent on harming one group of people to appease another. The unity the United States enjoyed for much of it's existence, has been destroyed. Now groups of Americans truly hate each other. This has kept us from getting things accomplished.

Democrats in the United States don't want "common sense gun control", they want to outright ban certain types of firearms. That is why 2nd amendment supporters won't work with them. Democrats want Australia, not Canada, when it comes to firearm ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 03:20 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
People in Canada have better things to do than mass shooting. They're smarter and more stable too. When you've got it together, guns are of little importance.

Guns tend to pair well with the unstable and the psychotic, so perfect for many Americans.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You've forgotten the flood of sympathetic insurgents coming into Afghanistan from Pakistan and every other shared border country, an endless supply of them. Not to mention the CIA provided firearms, anti tank, and especially those "Stingers" that turned the tide by rendering Russia's 'copter air power impotent.

Those were not all "small arms".
I never discounted the outside help...but to think that an armed population would not make things more difficult to control a country from an invading army is absurd...an invader does not want total destruction but control....guerrilla can be extremely effective and the main equipment is usually small arms

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-06-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
^^^ Saturno the eternal apologist.

Definition of apologist --> https://www.bing.com/search?q=apolog...2466ea4db84191

Saturno the eternal common sense, logical thinker

I corrected that for you....

Old 03-06-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
People in Canada have better things to do than mass shooting. They're smarter and more stable too. When you've got it together, guns are of little importance.

Guns tend to pair well with the unstable and the psychotic, so perfect for many Americans.

The usual "we are so superior" comment from some Canadians....just a question...is this an expression of some sort of hidden inferiority complex??

Last edited by saturno_v; 03-06-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 03:48 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Do people actually try and use that as a defence? You have to be pretty unworldly to think your rights travel with you.
By the time they get to the courthouse, they're well aware that it won't work. But according to CBSA officers, and a colleague who has worked in this area with the CBSA, it is sometimes tried at the border when an undeclared firearm is discovered, and an arrest is consequently made. In fairness, many understand that rights do not travel, but some don't understand that fact.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
many countries around the world don't really care about gun rights.

Simply, they do not have gun rights so there is nothing to "care" about.

Like it or not, the US has individual gun rights mentioned in the constitution so it is normal that Americans debate about them

Old 03-06-2018, 04:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Saturno the eternal common sense, logical thinker

I corrected that for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The usual "we are so superior" comment from some Canadians....just a question...is this an expression of some sort of hidden inferiority complex??

Right. And the person you just made that rude response to and accusation about having an inferiority complex is not a Canadian and does not live in Canada.

You know what, if you were in control of your own inferiority complexes and were as smart as you like to think you are you wouldn't jump to immediate knee jerk conclusions about where an unknown poster lives and their state of mind and then make such scathing personal insults to them based on your own obtuse ignorance and bias. If you were REALLY smart you'd review their posts (it's SUPER easy and quick to do - try it some time) to find out who they are and where they live and how much smarter and more superior they are than you.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-06-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 04:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
By the time they get to the courthouse, they're well aware that it won't work. But according to CBSA officers, and a colleague who has worked in this area with the CBSA, it is sometimes tried at the border when an undeclared firearm is discovered, and an arrest is consequently made. In fairness, many understand that rights do not travel, but some don't understand that fact.
I think people who don't understand (or refuse or pretend to not understand) that they can't take their own nation's laws and rights with them into other countries shouldn't be travelling outside of their own countries. There should be some kind of questionnaire that all new passport applicants have to fill out that demonstrates that they understand that. Then when they screw up while trying to bring illegal stuff into other countries they can't plead ignorance of the facts.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

The person you just made that rude response to is not a Canadian and does not live in Canada.

You know what, if you were in control of your own inferiority complexes and were as smart as you like to think you are you wouldn't jump to immediate knee jerk conclusions about where a poster lives and their state of mind and then make such scathing personal insults to them based on your own obtuse ignorance and bias. If you were REALLY smart you'd review their posts (it's SUPER easy and quick to do - try it some time) to find out who they are and where they live and how much smarter and more superior they are than you.

Considering that this person spouted nonsense about America, I assumed he was definitely not from south of the border.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada