Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times

Advertisements

My nieces are girly girls who also hunt but I can see them liking a pink stock rifle. They would probably think it was cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
My local Canadian Tire has a gun department. Many fine rifles and shotguns in the showcases.

Though I had to do a double-take at the rifle that had a pink stock. Why would anybody paint a rifle stock, much less paint it pink? (My competitive rifle had a beautifully-finished cherrywood stock.)
Chevy; get a load of these guys:

Deluxe Wrap-Around Checkering

https://books.google.com/books?id=HC...kering&f=false

My '65' Remington 700 had grip and forestock checkering i loved the look of. In the end, after moving back to Ontario and no longer hunting, the aesthetics of that rifle were the only reasons I hung onto it as long as I did. It was the last of my firearms to go.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My nieces are girly girls who also hunt but I can see them liking a pink stock rifle. They would probably think it was cool.
Actually; while perhaps not relevant to rifles, I believe pink was a colour discovered to be very effective as desert camouflage with some WWII armour and aircraft being painted in shades of pink. I'm going to go a-googling now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountbatten_pink

The SAS Used to Drive Bright Pink Vehicles During the Gulf War - Fact Fiend

LRDG Uniforms and Equipment

Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
I am a gun owning American. I own a few rifles and shotguns for hunting. I have hunted and owned guns my whole life. They have always been around. Most everyone I know owns hunting guns. Some own pistols, and yes I do know people who collect guns like AR15s. None of these people I have ever known has ever suggested doing something evil with those guns, all of them are safe and responsible hunters and shooters. Guns and hunting have been part of our culture since our founding, up until the last 20 years these kinds of shootings were rare. Our second amendment is not the issue nor are guns themselves. Something is broken in our people, maybe this has more to do with the fact that most states no longer run insane asylums. We used to keep dangerously mentally ill people locked up in the nut house, today they roam free. I personally believe that is much of the problem. I don’t believe I should have to give up my 200 year old freedoms because of these evil individuals and thier crimes. I also don’t think it would do any good to create new gun laws when 350 million guns already in existence in this nation. If they can’t get them legally they will simply break into homes and steal them. The answer is to lock up dangerous nuts in mental wards. I bet Canada has a much more significant system for mental illness than we do. I also expect law enforcement to do something about nuts like the Florida shooter when people report him for making threats online. This last tragedy should not have happened, the FBI has a tip on him and did nothing. I know many Canadians do not understand why we don’t get rid of our second amendment but many like me just are not willing to give up our freedoms gauranteed by our constitution, especially when we feel it would not change the number of violent occurrences anyhow. However I am expecting state and federal government to do something about violent criminals and restore peace and order. Thirty years ago we had as many guns as we do today without all this madness, with the right policies we can return to what we had then.

Doesn’t Canada have a hunting culture too. I hear about the unreal hunting opportunities up there. A lot of Canadians must own hunting weapons.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am a gun owning American. I own a few rifles and shotguns for hunting. I have hunted and owned guns my whole life. They have always been around. Most everyone I know owns hunting guns. Some own pistols, and yes I do know people who collect guns like AR15s. None of these people I have ever known has ever suggested doing something evil with those guns, all of them are safe and responsible hunters and shooters. Guns and hunting have been part of our culture since our founding, up until the last 20 years these kinds of shootings were rare. Our second amendment is not the issue nor are guns themselves. Something is broken in our people, maybe this has more to do with the fact that most states no longer run insane asylums. We used to keep dangerously mentally ill people locked up in the nut house, today they roam free. I personally believe that is much of the problem. I don’t believe I should have to give up my 200 year old freedoms because of these evil individuals and thier crimes. I also don’t think it would do any good to create new gun laws when 350 million guns already in existence in this nation. If they can’t get them legally they will simply break into homes and steal them. The answer is to lock up dangerous nuts in mental wards. I bet Canada has a much more significant system for mental illness than we do. I also expect law enforcement to do something about nuts like the Florida shooter when people report him for making threats online. This last tragedy should not have happened, the FBI has a tip on him and did nothing. I know many Canadians do not understand why we don’t get rid of our second amendment but many like me just are not willing to give up our freedoms gauranteed by our constitution, especially when we feel it would not change the number of violent occurrences anyhow. However I am expecting state and federal government to do something about violent criminals and restore peace and order. Thirty years ago we had as many guns as we do today without all this madness, with the right policies we can return to what we had then.

Doesn’t Canada have a hunting culture too. I hear about the unreal hunting opportunities up there. A lot of Canadians must own hunting weapons.
I'm sure many Americans feel just as you do and that is why the killing won't stop. Your opinion may change when you are personally affected but there will always be those who are not affected and think mass shootings are the price of freedom.

The problem is guns. But it is the mindset that allows guns and that's not going to change. The irony is that you would take the freedom of the mentally ill before they have done anything. You can't change the fact that there will always be mentally ill people and you can't predict what they will do but without GUNS being so much part of the culture, you aren't going to stop the amount of killing.

It's your idea of freedom that needs to change. Now before someone pipes up with how other countries have should have no opinion on how the U.S. governs itself, you are not going to stop other nationalities from being horrified at the result.

I don't know if the hunting culture is as big here. I grew up in a farm and of course there were long guns for killing livestock or a skunk or two. My dad never hunted and in fact I knew of no hunters when I was growing up in the 60s. I knew of some hunters in the late 70s but it just wasn't a 'thing' until the 80s or 90s. And even then most farmers were not hunters. My brothers hunted later, but only my RCMP brother was ever into it enough to qualify as a hunter. He got his kids into hunting. A BIL is a hunter and he got his kids into hunting. My husband used to hunt.

Hunting may be a bigger deal in other provinces. I also think firearms are bigger in the west.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Odd...this is when the weapon goes from being a tool, to a fashion accessory.

pink stock rifle - Google Search

Hmmm, some of those variegated stained wood ones look quite nice actually.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm sure many Americans feel just as you do and that is why the killing won't stop. Your opinion may change when you are personally affected but there will always be those who are not affected and think mass shootings are the price of freedom.

The problem is guns. But it is the mindset that allows guns and that's not going to change. The irony is that you would take the freedom of the mentally ill before they have done anything. You can't change the fact that there will always be mentally ill people and you can't predict what they will do but without GUNS being so much part of the culture, you aren't going to stop the amount of killing.

It's your idea of freedom that needs to change. Now before someone pipes up with how other countries have should have no opinion on how the U.S. governs itself, you are not going to stop other nationalities from being horrified at the result.

I don't know if the hunting culture is as big here. I grew up in a farm and of course there were long guns for killing livestock or a skunk or two. My dad never hunted and in fact I knew of no hunters when I was growing up in the 60s. I knew of some hunters in the late 70s but it just wasn't a 'thing' until the 80s or 90s. And even then most farmers were not hunters. My brothers hunted later, but only my RCMP brother was ever into it enough to qualify as a hunter. He got his kids into hunting. A BIL is a hunter and he got his kids into hunting. My husband used to hunt.

Hunting may be a bigger deal in other provinces. I also think firearms are bigger in the west.
How is my suggestion that dangerously mentally ill people be put in an insane asylum an infringement upon the mentally ill? That is where they belong for the safety of society and thier own well being. You suggest we sacrifice our gun ownership rights so these people can continue to roam free?? They can cause harm to themselves and others through other means besides guns. Sick people go to hospitals, mental patients go to the asylum, that is how it was before and should be again. I bet that is what is done in Canada seeing that Canada is the orderly society that it is.

You are correct though I have no plans to react to these shootings and give up my freedoms. This mass shooting phenomenon is a recent one and our gun ownership has nothing to do with it. The proof is in the first 200 years of our history where mass shootings were relatively rare occurrences. The last twenty years of madness has far more to do with modern values, unchecked mental illness and our increasingly Godless secular society. We need to correct those things, not surrender our freedom. Of course I am not trying to debate with Canadians about “your way vs ours”, but only explaining how I believe many Americans feel about the issue and why it’s such a big deal to us.

Also worth noting, as I said before there are 350 million guns in the USA. New gun laws won’t change that so most believe they would have no effect on the frequency of these mass killings. Only gun confiscation would change it and a gun confiscation would lead directly to a US civil war. The only answer is to control dangerous elements within our society.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here we go again. I'll let others look up Canadian laws regarding handguns and acquiring them and the law about carrying them in Canada. ( in fact curiously enough I was with a friend who was filling out his firearms acquisition form yesterday. He needs it for work ).

I'll just state to others who may not know about our laws, is that Saturno have been told time and time again , and even our resident lawyer Chevy, has schooled him in his past inaccuracies.

So this time, by just stating " you can own a handgun in Canada " it looks like he is trying to equate that fact with being equal to the fact " you can own a handgun in the US ".

Don't believe it. The type of handgun restrictions in Canada don't exist in the US. Not at all.

Bla bla bla bla....pointless drivel

I simply replied to the statement (clearly posted by a troll, by the way, which has been removed from the thread) "...and it is illegal to own a handgun in Canada"

It is false, you can own a handgun in Canada...period...and nobody schooled me about anything Nat....not you nor Chevy or BruSan still have told me how a cop will suddenly materialize behind a Canadian gun owner that loses his mind and decides to commit a murder with a firearm....crickets....

Old 02-17-2018, 03:25 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Some hand guns are prohibited in Canada and all other hand guns that are not prohibited are restricted. Some people who do not need them for their profession can be approved to own hand guns in Canada at the RCMP's discretion but the fact is the vast majority of hand gun applicants who do not need them for their professions are not approved for ownership and never will be no matter how much of a goody two shoes they are. The RCMP are really picky about who they will decide to grant approval to even with applicants whose surpassing virtues go above and beyond the list of merits required.

Anyone in Canada who owns a handgun without having obtained approval is the owner of an illegal firearm. So it's probably not a good idea to make a sweeping statement like "you can own a hand gun in Canada" because that is misleading in that it suggests that pretty much anybody can, when in fact anybody can not, they are restricted to ownership strictly at the discretion and authorization of the RCMP. Only a very select few can own them and the majority of those select few are people who need them for their profession. And before you ask "How can the RCMP have the authority to use their own discretion about something like that?" well they can use their discretion, instinct and intuition the same way border officers can use their discretion and intuition about who they will allow to cross the border or to turn away or to detain and arrest. It's a required part of the job to have good instincts and discretion.

Saturno, you asked how can a cop suddenly materialize behind a Canadian gun owner that loses his mind and decides to commit a murder with a firearm? I guess that's a trick question or joke because I'm sure you know as well as everyone else that nobody can materialize anywhere. But sometimes it sure seems like the cops here actually can materialize out of thin air because those guys sure are fast as a flash to appear on the scene when they're called to shooting incidents and other dire emergencies. Their response time never ceases to impress me.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Canadians for the most part don't own guns and therefore theres no gun culture mentality.
In the USA it seems every one has a gun to protect themselves from every one else who has a gun: smack:
Solution to the carnage seems obvious to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada