Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM

695 posts, read 714,531 times

Advertisements

The reason I don't want to get a passport, and do NOT have an "enhanced DL" is because I refuse to be fingerprinted, Retina scanned, or DNA tested! I will NOT be tracked.

I have a police scanner installed in my vehicle because I can. As a valid Amateur Radio Operator my Ham License gives me permission to carry one in the vehicle in all States but New York. I didn't know what the rules are for Canada though.

If I cannot cross the border without giving up all my personal privacy or my scanner, I will simply not go.

As for proving my citizenship, I do have a copy of my birth certificate, and a current registration title in my vehicle. Is that good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:15 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
The reason I don't want to get a passport, and do NOT have an "enhanced DL" is because I refuse to be fingerprinted, Retina scanned, or DNA tested! I will NOT be tracked.

I have a police scanner installed in my vehicle because I can. As a valid Amateur Radio Operator my Ham License gives me permission to carry one in the vehicle in all States but New York. I didn't know what the rules are for Canada though.

If I cannot cross the border without giving up all my personal privacy or my scanner, I will simply not go.

As for proving my citizenship, I do have a copy of my birth certificate, and a current registration title in my vehicle. Is that good enough?
I'd stay put in the US then. Your birth certificate, car registration, and ordinary driver's license is good enough to get into Canada but it's the American authorities, yes our own Uncle Sam's public servants, that will give you a hard time on the way back. Too bad because you are missing out on a lot.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM

776 posts, read 955,929 times
Doctor Z.

You sound like a guy who is unable and unwilling to see the logical information that others here have tried to provide you with. So, stay home.

XXX.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post

I'd stay put in the US then. Your birth certificate, car registration, and ordinary driver's license is good enough to get into Canada but it's the American authorities, yes our own Uncle Sam's public servants, that will give you a hard time on the way back. Too bad because you are missing out on a lot.
This. ^ And if you kick up a fuss about it they will immediately become suspicious about you and your motives and what you have to hide and they'll detain you even longer while they interrogate you and your wife and check you out and red flag you in their data base and then they'll fingerprint you anyway before they'll let you back into USA. They're looking for terrorists, smugglers, child trafficers and illegal immigrants, they don't care about your personal privacy and whether or not you want to be tracked.

The police scanner will set off all kinds of red flags and alarms with the border officers on either side of the border. You should definitely leave that at home if you're planning on driving back and forth across the border and don't want to come under immediate suspicion.

If you want to stay anonymous you are probably better off to just stay home.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-16-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM

695 posts, read 714,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This. ^ And if you kick up a fuss about it they will immediately become suspicious about you and your motives and what you have to hide and they'll detain you even longer while they interrogate you and your wife and check you out and red flag you in their data base and then they'll fingerprint you anyway before they'll let you back into USA. They're looking for terrorists and illegal immigrants man, they don't care about your personal privacy and whether or not you want to be tracked.

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:21 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Those things are not mutually exclusive. Do you have a cell phone, license plates, or internet service? Welcome to the tracked world.

You should know that if you're prepared to surrender your birth certificate, the only addition needed to getting a passport is a photo and your driver's license and a fee. There's no DNA or fingerprint requirement for a passport.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I cross the border about once a month, and that is a question I am always asked. Do I have any weapons, including pepper spray (no, I don't carry weapons, and I'm not an idiot enough to take weapons into Canada if I did.)

Also, when you are leaving, they always ask if you have any fruit. I stepped aside at the Ottawa airport and ate an apple I bought up there rather than toss it in the garbage.

You CAN take butter tarts back with you, though, thank God.
Your pepper spray comment caught my attention since I carry bear spray into the US and back into Canada and have never had a problem. I even mention I have it.

So...a little digging seems to suggest that yes, pepper spray meant to use on humans in case of an attack is considered a weapon, and can not be brought into Canada...BUT...and this just seems odd...if it's in the form or a bear spray and labelled as such, you can bring it in.

If you scroll down to point 20 you can read the law yourself.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-13-2-eng.pdf

Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:

Let me guess. You are however for others having to give up personal privacy information to enter the US? Or do you have a double standard in this case?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:58 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Let me guess. You are however for others having to give up personal privacy information to enter the US? Or do you have a double standard in this case?
Nope. His tinfoil is double sided. He's just disappointed you don't have a hat of your own.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

It always beguiles me when I hear something like this. Would you think the educational experience garnered by having your children witness other cultures up close and personal is worth the exchange of your baseless fear?

You are basically saying you'll not leave the U.S. EVER, because of this irrational fear you have. The rest of the world is an exciting place to see, especially for younger minds. Denying them the opportunity by refusing to take them anywhere you could afford to go due to your inhibition is sad, so very sad.

I wish you'd relent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada