Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:00 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Not at all. I always figured that people are crossing back and forth between the two countries on foot in remote locations. I figured if I never needed to escape the country someday I'd do this myself.

I just posted this because my kid wants to visit another country for a family vacation. I personally have no reason to go to Canada. I was all over it back in the 1960's as a kid. My only memories were of the mountains, moose, and very very cold night-time temps in the middle of July.

I like it HOT, like above 90°, and lots of severe storms (I'm a storm chaser). Canada holds none of these for me. Just inquiring for my kid.
You can't just walk over the border. Even in remote locations. There are sensors and monitoring. People get caught all the time.

Your memories of mountains and moose is a very, very limited vision of Canada, besides things have changed a lot since the 1960's.

The fact that you think it doesn't get about 90F in summer in parts of Canada is incorrect. As for storms, well plenty of big thunderstorms on Southern Ontario and on the prairies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 02:06 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,714,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You can't just walk over the border. Even in remote locations. There are sensors and monitoring. People get caught all the time.
I'm sure it was done frequently back in the 60's and 70's. A great many Vietnam draft dodgers had to have made it across somehow. This is the 21st century however and if the O.P. thinks that somehow we can turn back time to the days of sliderules, vinyl records, and 8 inch floppy disks, then he's delusional.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:10 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I'm sure it was done frequently back in the 60's and 70's. A great many Vietnam draft dodgers had to have made it across somehow. This is the 21st century however and if the O.P. thinks that somehow we can turn back time to the days of sliderules, vinyl records, and 8 inch floppy disks, then he's delusional.
The vast majority of draft dodgers didn't have to sneak into Canada. They were allowed in by the Canadian government.

"In 1969, the Canadian government passed a law allowing U.S. immigration regardless of military status, effectively opening the door to draft-dodgers and deserters."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ican-rite.html

Old 02-18-2018, 01:29 AM

689 posts, read 707,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Good to know! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada