Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My problem is that I think of food that would go well with my wine or beer

Some beers are SO great with a ham and good mustard sandwich, or sausages.

Whenever I make a good pasta with an amazing tomato sauce..I'm thinking what wine to have with it. LOL

I'm not expecting to see much change here in Vancouver or BC once it becomes legal. It has just been around for so long, and in the last few years not hidden at all with numerous store fronts selling openly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Stop you're making me hungry and wanting an accompanying drink lol.. I know it's hard Nat. There is a gastropub right beside us in the building and it is always calling my name. Anyway, drinks with dinner is good - just skip the desert

Yeah same for my neck of the woods. People are becoming a bit more brash though. Before in the burbs you'd never see someone smoking it so openly, now it is pretty common place. They are even smoking it in their cars in the underground parking lot of my building. I get a semi high from just smelling it even walking from my car to the elevator.
In communities of colour marijuana related arrests and convictions have been significantly higher than non minority communities. For that reason alone I believe this is good policy. Having that blemish on your record really sets you back when it comes to seeking employment and securing housing.

This Toronto star article breaks it down pretty well. So while marijuana use has been mainstream in many communities, that has not translated into the same freedom for everyone.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...al-divide.html

So while you may not notice a huge change when it comes to consumption in major cities like Vancouver and Toronto, rest assured that it will have a major influence on peoples lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That is what I was thinking. I heard it was going to be even less stores in Quebec.
Only 15 I think.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:38 PM

1,744 posts, read 877,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Manitoba is all private distributors too. I was disappointed that Shoppers Drug Mart wasn’t on the list of allowed distributors here. A pharmacist would seem the best person to discuss possible drug interactions with.

They will be. They entered into an agreement with Aurora Cannabis yesterday for Aurora to supply them with MMJ

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/auror...120000306.html

Recreational weed, however, may end up being delayed a bit longer since it turns out the Canada would be violating three international treaties by doing so without opting out of those treaties one year in advance of legalization.
https://www.leafly.com/news/canada/c...alize-cannabis

Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
In communities of colour marijuana related arrests and convictions have been significantly higher than non minority communities. For that reason alone I believe this is good policy. Having that blemish on your record really sets you back when it comes to seeking employment and securing housing.

Good point. It also saves taxpayers huge amounts of money not having to prosecute and jail people for something so minor and common.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-28-2018 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 02:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

This Toronto star article breaks it down pretty well. So while marijuana use has been mainstream in many communities, that has not translated into the same freedom for everyone.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...al-divide.html

So while you may not notice a huge change when it comes to consumption in major cities like Vancouver and Toronto, rest assured that it will have a major influence on peoples lives.
Shocking, but this is about Toronto. What about stats for other Canadian cities? My impression is that Vancouver, although busts have been done, has been much more relaxed than Toronto regardless of the community.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Shocking, but this is about Toronto. What about stats for other Canadian cities? My impression is that Vancouver, although busts have been done, has been much more relaxed than Toronto regardless of the community.
The TPS is generally a conservative bunch. It is part of their culture and the Police Chief is no different. Even the mayor who ran a progressive campaign is proving stiflingly conservative. The TPS needs to move into this century and reflect the values of the population of Toronto.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
In Vancouver the cops typically just tell you to put it away or give you a warning or even ignore it all together while in other places they usually hand out fines now. For personal possession I think these days it's impossible to get arrested unless you are bothering people or doing something else illegal.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
The TPS is generally a conservative bunch. It is part of their culture and the Police Chief is no different. Even the mayor who ran a progressive campaign is proving stiflingly conservative. The TPS needs to move into this century and reflect the values of the population of Toronto.
Like GM10 said, in Vancouver I see people smoking it out in the open in front of the police.

As this article says

"Busting people for smoking marijuana is not a priority for the Vancouver Police Department (VPD).

It’s a different story when it comes to trafficking, importation, and production of cannabis."

https://www.straight.com/cannabis/10...s-13-incidents

Old 03-02-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Like GM10 said, in Vancouver I see people smoking it out in the open in front of the police.

As this article says

"Busting people for smoking marijuana is not a priority for the Vancouver Police Department (VPD).

It’s a different story when it comes to trafficking, importation, and production of cannabis."

https://www.straight.com/cannabis/10...s-13-incidents
I don't think the TPS cares about casual users - its more a generalized conservative culture. People are still smoking it rather publically and the police aren't doing much about that. Where they are conservative is with dispensaries and raids of them even though it is being legalized - like give it a break.. The TPS always loves a good raid...

Old 03-02-2018, 04:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
I don't think the TPS cares about casual users - its more a generalized conservative culture. People are still smoking it rather publically and the police aren't doing much about that. Where they are conservative is with dispensaries and raids of them even though it is being legalized - like give it a break.. The TPS always loves a good raid.. .
I disagree. They should not give it a break and should continue raiding illegal dispensaries until such time as dispensaries are no longer illegal. The operative word there is being legalized, not has been legalized. When it has become "has been legalized" then they can give it a break, until then they must make an effort of keeping law and order.

Are they supposed to turn a blind eye to dispensaries that have not been legalized yet but upon whose unlicensed premises they illegally possess and are dispensing large quantities of still illegal substances to the general public? It's one thing for the police to ignore a single person out in the open walking down the street smoking a joint and minding his own business, it's another thing to ignore illegal dispensaries that are publically transacting an illegal and unlicensed business.

Where will people draw the line? If the police should ignore the illegal dispensaries then why should they not also ignore other illegal transactions that opportunists will take advantage of, like someone setting up shop on a street corner openly selling bags of fentanyl or cocaine, or maybe moonshine or smuggled guns to kids? Because if opportunists think they can get away with it they will try it and then point the finger at illegal dispensaries and say "well, they are doing something illegal and getting away with it, they're being ignored by the police, why not me?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada