Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Isn't it in high school where children learn about various political ideologies? Should children without any structured understanding of politics be voting?
I think children learn about it at home, which for good or ill, is where they get most of their moral values and ideas. I don't think world views start at the exact time they begin learning about a subject in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Funny story based on the most recent posts here. When I was of age to vote for the first time, I asked my Dad "Who are you voting for?" (Which, in my mind, meant "Who are we voting for?" or "Who should I vote for?") He said "It's not your business; I'm not telling you." I was shocked. I guess that was his way of saying that I should think for myself. Kinda harsh.

The kids that I know now, though, are so unlike the kid that I was and the friends that I had. It seems that they know so much more about everything -- politics included -- about the world around us and the world that we live in. Two kids that I'm thinking of in particular would have made better and more-educated choices at 12 (!!!) than most adults would make.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny story based on the most recent posts here. When I was of age to vote for the first time, I asked my Dad "Who are you voting for?" (Which, in my mind, meant "Who are we voting for?" or "Who should I vote for?") He said "It's not your business; I'm not telling you." I was shocked. I guess that was his way of saying that I should think for myself. Kinda harsh.

The kids that I know now, though, are so unlike the kid that I was and the friends that I had. It seems that they know so much more about everything -- politics included -- about the world around us and the world that we live in. Two kids that I'm thinking of in particular would have made better and more-educated choices at 12 (!!!) than most adults would make.
My father said the same thing, but his point was that each and every persons vote is private, like your mail. You don't have to tell anyone.

To this day, during elections when I get phone calls wanting my support for so and so, I still say the same thing.
" I am going to vote, but my vote is personal and private ".

They seem happy with that.

I have only missed one election that I was eligible to vote in since I first voted many, many years ago. I vote, because like the cliche states, " If you don't vote, you can't complain"...and boy, do I like to complain! LOL

Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I think it makes good sense. It would help young people feel more connected and engaged to the political sphere at an early age and help shape government policy that will effect them in the future like post-secondary education funding. The earlier people begin to vote the more likely they are to continue to do so.

If young people are not responsible enough to vote at 16 then they damn well shouldn't be driving.
I think the posts here have convinced me that voting at 16 may not be so bad after all.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think the posts here have convinced me that voting at 16 may not be so bad after all.
no, at 16 they are considered minors and do not have the capabilities to be their own legal entity...

if they want to vote at 16, they need to assume the rest of the legal obligations that come with being recognized as "independent" adults

oh right, if they are recognized at 16 as "independent", there goes their health insurance... sorry mom/pop, we want to vote so we can't be on the family plan anymore

Old 03-19-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no, at 16 they are considered minors and do not have the capabilities to be their own legal entity...

if they want to vote at 16, they need to assume the rest of the legal obligations that come with being recognized as "independent" adults

oh right, if they are recognized at 16 as "independent", there goes their health insurance... sorry mom/pop, we want to vote so we can't be on the family plan anymore

We are talking about 16 year olds in Canada. I gave in post #9 a link that shows what rights a 16 year old currently has in BC. It may differ depending on province or territory. They do have certain rights already, and voting could just be another.

You health insurance comment does not apply in Canada. Everyone is covered, regardless.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
No. At 16 you are too reactive. Good to be lured by extremes.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
No. At 16 you are too reactive. Good to be lured by extremes.
Some may be. Sounds just like adults.

Many young people are involved in politics already. Depending on the party, the age to join is either 14 years of age, or 16.

Many of course aren't interested in politics. Again, sounds like adults.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Horrible idea. Teenagers are idiots.

I know for a fact; I was one.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:20 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Some may be. Sounds just like adults.

Many young people are involved in politics already. Depending on the party, the age to join is either 14 years of age, or 16.

Many of course aren't interested in politics. Again, sounds like adults.
I was 16 8 years ago. I am quite aware of what 16 yo millenials think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada