Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times

Advertisements

Is it a result of the lack of government funding? As progressive as Canada, I am disappointed that university education can still be so dauntingly expensive. I mean, if Jack wants to be a medical doctor or lawyer, it should be free for him to pursue so, not depending on his parents’ income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:36 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,014 times
average tuition is $5000-$6000

Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Isn't university education expensive everywhere, some places more or less than others, but still expensive? I'd be interested to know which countries' governments provide free funding for university education.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Is it a result of the lack of government funding? As progressive as Canada, I am disappointed that university education can still be so dauntingly expensive. I mean, if Jack wants to be a medical doctor or lawyer, it should be free for him to pursue so, not depending on his parents’ income.
The money goes to perks for those who successfully clawed their ways to the top:

"After paying thousands of dollars in tuition, sitting through lectures with hundreds of other students taught by sessional lecturers making less than an assistant manager at McDonald’s and finally having the privilege of paying a graduation fee, it’s no wonder students find themselves asking; Where did my tuition money go?

Students at Hamilton’s McMaster University are learning exactly where their money is going:
  • retirement “bonuses”
  • social clubs
  • financial advisers
  • car allowances
  • social club memberships
  • country clubs

for already well paid administrators."

Hey, where did my tuition money go? - Macleans.ca

"The multimillion-dollar pension of the University of Calgary's outgoing president was part of a "handshake" deal that didn't end up in a signed employment contract for seven years, Alberta's auditor general has concluded.

Auditor General Fred Dunn examined the negotiations that led to Harvey Weingarten's controversial $4.5-million pension package in a report released Friday."

'Handshake' behind U of C president's $4.5M pension - Calgary - CBC News

Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Germany used to. I think there have been some changes but I thought it was still free.

ETA: https://www.topuniversities.com/stud...-study-germany

My husband was in a PhD programme there a long time ago and it was free then. And yes, I think we should have something similar here - education is win-win for society.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
The countries offering students free (or somewhat affordable) university education | The Independent

And other countries

Old 03-16-2018, 01:12 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
The fees are actually quite variable - the variation is more by province than by university.

https://www.univcan.ca/universities/...by-university/

Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
I wouldn't be opposed to either free higher education or making it easier for people to get an education by further reducing the financial burden (increasing government subsidies to reduce tuition). Another topic that should be raised is making it easier for students to acquire low no/interest loans. Some students don't qualify for loans from middle class parents who may struggle to pay for their kids education. If you are a student and want to get an education, at the very least make low to no interest student loans accessible regardless of family income. That action alone would increase access to higher education.

The only issue i'd have with the idea of free higher education is if it burdens the middle class further with higher federal taxes. I see the fed taxes out of my pay every two weeks no and it hurts so even higher fed taxes - i'm not really feeling that. So yeah, i'm all in but I think we really need to ask the question(s) - how to pay!?

Old 03-20-2018, 03:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,143 times
Its cheap compared to the US and you not stuck in your home state hoping your kid has the grades to get into the only decent in-state public university.

If we still lived in the US come university days, its most likely our kids would have ended up going to school in Canada because:
(a) its cheaper
(b) the good schools are more accessible
(c) just generally, the education is better
(d) our kids would't be subjected to that rah rah fraternity nonsense.

Oh, and don't forget the Canadian government will GIVE you $500 per kid per year as you save for college.

So, all in all, while not free it's still a pretty good deal.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
My two daughters went through 3 year courses here in Montreal one at McGill the other at Concordia they both were paying about $1300 per semester, not expensive at all IMO. To give some comparison botticelli where did you go to school and how much did it cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada