Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Looking at VIA's website, it seems to me that VIA is now selling The Canadian as a rail cruise, rather than a way of getting somewhere. So, look at it this way--if you want to cruise through the Caribbean, you take a ship; if you want to cruise through Canada, you take the train. Each is priced according to the cruise tourist, not the person who wants to get from X to Y.
I always took The Canadian as a rail cruise with more options. If one is short on money, they can always pick the economy class. I don't think anyone will book a trip on The Canadian if time is of the essence. I would say that applies to most VIA lines outside of the Corridor. Sadly, unlike in Europe or East Asia and outside of a few select areas, most passenger trains in North America are relegated to "cruising" even if that was not their original purpose. The absence of high-speed trains coupled with the distances involved and lack of coverage (Calgary and Regina are still out of the loop ) are the reasons why.

Quote:
I disagree with those who say that northern Ontario and the prairies are boring. No, they are fascinating. You see parts of northern Ontario that nobody except train passengers see, and on the prairies, you might see a thunderstorm in the distance, while your train is in bright sunshine.
I don't think it's boring, not at all, though I do find the Edmonton-Vancouver leg of the journey to be far more rewarding. If Jambo wants to minimize cost, then I suggested he cut corners, especially given his desire to get his own cabin.
Another solution would be to book a round trip in economy or pick prestige/sleeper for one trip and economy for the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 11:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jambo; very sorry to hear of your health concerns and can only offer the hope they are temporary in nature.

You're getting a lot of good advice. I myself favour that offered by Nat and Chevy. While they are opposites in their approach and reasoning both would cause me and mine to sit and ponder well before deciding.

Only you know the scope of your health issue and as such only you can apply the relative rationale for any choice you might make.

Best wishes Jambo and may your train ride not just be a bucket list item, but also include the part of being into the light at the end of the health concern tunnel.
At this point health issues are starting to make this trip look like a pipe dream, at this point i cant walk 50ft without having to sit down gasping for breath (COPD), then theres the imminent renal failure that makes me feel like crap all the time.. i guess the daughter will have to come and see me as i'm in no condition to go see her..
Thanks all for the info.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:18 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At this point health issues are starting to make this trip look like a pipe dream, at this point i cant walk 50ft without having to sit down gasping for breath (COPD), then theres the imminent renal failure that makes me feel like crap all the time.. i guess the daughter will have to come and see me as i'm in no condition to go see her..
Thanks all for the info.

Wow! that's a blow. I'm so sad your health is failing Bru. COPD is bad enough as it is but the threat of renal failure puts a worse crimp in one's daily life and activities. So sorry to hear you're unwell, I hope you'll keep us up to date on how you're feeling.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Wow! that's a blow. I'm so sad your health is failing Bru. COPD is bad enough as it is but the threat of renal failure puts a worse crimp in one's daily life and activities. So sorry to hear you're unwell, I hope you'll keep us up to date on how you're feeling.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm fine Zoisite. It's our friend Jambo that we've just now learned the extent of his illness.

That was not the good news I was hoping to hear in answer to my post Jambo.

Very sorry to hear this is not something of a temporary nature you can easily deal with.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
While the health is not so great i have been blessed with a beautiful family and last Wednesday picked up a new toy. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps76oxfjyi.jpg
Off to Ottawa today to see friends and give the car a shakedown cruise ..

Old 04-02-2018, 09:29 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Thanks for your concern, but I'm fine Zoisite. It's our friend Jambo that we've just now learned the extent of his illness.
I knew that. I don't know what came over my fingers when I typed Bru instead of Jambo cuz it wasn't my brain functioning. I think it went to bed ahead of me without me knowing it. Sorry about that to both of you.

Quote:
While the health is not so great i have been blessed with a beautiful family and last Wednesday picked up a new toy. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps76oxfjyi.jpg
Woo hoo! Nice new toy!! I like the solid, stable, blocky appearance of those cars and have been wondering how they feel and handle on very sharp curves and slanted road surfaces. I've been feeling tempted to take one out for a test drive myself. Enjoy the shakedown cruise and I hope you get a LOT of good use out of that car for a long time to come.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your health. Hope you get better.

Nice car by the way.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
Be careful in making your train plans regarding coordinating other travel around the trains. My relative works for Via and the passengers trains seem to always to be delayed. The reason is they have to sit on a siding to wait for the freight trains to pass. Recently I was in Winnipeg and from my hotel room I had a full view of the VIA train station on Main St. Freight trains coming and going all day. My relative was also staying there and she was tracking the late trains on her phone. On one day, there was a westbound train that was supposed to come in at 11 am. It didn't come in until late evening. I went to bed at 12 midnight and the train was still sitting there. It was gone by morning. My relative has also had to fly from Winnipeg to Vancouver because the trains were so late another crew had to work.
I felt sorry for the people waiting for the train to come in and for those who had coordinated other travel thinking the train would come in on time.
A few years ago I traveled from east to west and the train was so late we missed the most scenic mountain part in Alberta because we went through at night.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:36 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Be careful in making your train plans regarding coordinating other travel around the trains. My relative works for Via and the passengers trains seem to always to be delayed. The reason is they have to sit on a siding to wait for the freight trains to pass. Recently I was in Winnipeg and from my hotel room I had a full view of the VIA train station on Main St. Freight trains coming and going all day. My relative was also staying there and she was tracking the late trains on her phone. On one day, there was a westbound train that was supposed to come in at 11 am. It didn't come in until late evening. I went to bed at 12 midnight and the train was still sitting there. It was gone by morning. My relative has also had to fly from Winnipeg to Vancouver because the trains were so late another crew had to work.
I felt sorry for the people waiting for the train to come in and for those who had coordinated other travel thinking the train would come in on time.
A few years ago I traveled from east to west and the train was so late we missed the most scenic mountain part in Alberta because we went through at night.
Good point.

No one should embark on a train journey across Canada if they have to be somewhere at a certain time.

It's mostly a tourist train.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Great suggestion.

I rode Edmonton to Vancouver twice and you’re right you see the Rockies at night,
Mt. Robson doesn’t look as good, even with a full moon.

I’ve always wanted to go on the Rockymountaineer ...it is pretty expensive,
I think around 10 grand...but you are getting full service...the royal treatment.
I saw a TV special on it, amazingly good, it’s on my bucket list.
My wife and I did the Rocky Mountaineer. We took their loop trip from Vancouver to Kamloops to Jasper to Quesnel to Whistler and back to Vancouver. It cost about $11,000 for the Gold Leaf service. We added 2 extra nights at the Fairmont Waterfront hotel at $460.00 a night. The train only ran during the day. At night we stayed in a hotel at each of the cities I listed. Hotel accommodations and transfers to the hotels are included. The only meals included are those on the train. You are responsible for all dinners and a couple breakfasts away from the train.

One problem is that in many areas you couldn't really see very much because of trees on both sides of the tracks.

Overall it was an interesting trip but very over priced for the level of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada