Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Wow that brought back memories! How 'bout this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsBBcv3Mu54
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:09 PM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Yep, that's the Maria Christina ad I remember, Nat. Thanks for finding it.

Netwit mentioned cigarettes. I remember Wayne and Schuster doing a hilarious routine about how Export A, DuMaurier, Matinee, and Craven A had to be Canadian: Export, eh; DuMauri-eh; Matin-eh; Craven-eh.

Somewhere in the junk I've collected over the years, I've got an Export A ad that was, shall we say, "liberated" from the Toronto subway, in the wake of a rock concert. I should dig it out and put it up on the wall of the rec room, just for fun.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yep, that's the Maria Christina ad I remember, Nat. Thanks for finding it.

Netwit mentioned cigarettes. I remember Wayne and Schuster doing a hilarious routine about how Export A, DuMaurier, Matinee, and Craven A had to be Canadian: Export, eh; DuMauri-eh; Matin-eh; Craven-eh.

Somewhere in the junk I've collected over the years, I've got an Export A ad that was, shall we say, "liberated" from the Toronto subway, in the wake of a rock concert. I should dig it out and put it up on the wall of the rec room, just for fun.
My dad smoked Export A. My mum smoked Number 7. Both quit when in their mid-forties. Doing it together no doubt helped.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Maybe because they couldn't pronounce it, or they are part the secret cartel to keep all things Canadian out of sight and mind for the rest of the world, but Nanaimo Bar in New York are called New York Slice. Ya, ya I know the article has errors such as "What I know about Nanaimo Bars is that usually they contain mint. Mine do not." Wrong. The CAN contain mint, but the original recipe never did.

New York Special Slices, aka Nanaimo Bars | TastingSpoons
Interesting. I haven't seen or heard of them, and I work in the city. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:59 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You should have tasted Baby Duck, Baby Bear, Carlo Rossi or Black Tower 30+ years ago. That was pretty much it unless you ponied up a ton for foreign. I never developed a wine palate until I left Canada...

Today’s wine industry has Free Trade to thank. Once the US tariffs were dropped it was clear that the Gallo brothers produced more wine in a day than Canada produced in a year and a different approach was needed.
Ha, I remember Carlo Rossi.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I haven't seen or heard of them, and I work in the city. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
Homemade are best.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/nanaimo-bars/

If you eat them with your eyes closed, they become calorie free.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-03-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 AM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
My dad smoked Export A. My mum smoked Number 7....
Certainly, Export A got me through my undergrad years, and Number 7 became a mainstay some years after that.

But those days are gone, and today, I still enjoy tobacco, though it's a tossup between my pipe and cigars. Each goes well with a glass of whisky by the fireside in winter, or a cold beer on the back deck in summer. Thankfully, my Dad (a pipe and cigar smoker) taught me not to buy "drugstore smokes," so I buy, at great expense, imported English, Irish, or Danish pipe tobacco; and Havana cigars, from a proper tobacconist. An expensive, if rare treat; but they're all worth the cost. Much nicer than those Export A and Number 7 cigarettes, which were (comparatively speaking) rather bland, flavour-wise.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Certainly, Export A got me through my undergrad years, and Number 7 became a mainstay some years after that.

But those days are gone, and today, I still enjoy tobacco, though it's a tossup between my pipe and cigars. Each goes well with a glass of whisky by the fireside in winter, or a cold beer on the back deck in summer. Thankfully, my Dad (a pipe and cigar smoker) taught me not to buy "drugstore smokes," so I buy, at great expense, imported English, Irish, or Danish pipe tobacco; and Havana cigars, from a proper tobacconist. An expensive, if rare treat; but they're all worth the cost. Much nicer than those Export A and Number 7 cigarettes, which were (comparatively speaking) rather bland, flavour-wise.
My maternal grandfather smoked a pipe and cigars. I can still smell the pipe tobacco. He started smoking as a child. His parents ran a small hotel and businessman staying there thought it was cute to see a kid smoking. He apparently took his first puff at 5. This would be around 1908. It unfortunately was the cause of his demise at 64.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Anyone tried a Montreal melon?
https://www.mtlblog.com/foodgasms/mo...ecies-of-melon

Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Not sure i'd drive 100 miles to Arundel to buy an expensive specialized melon no matter how good its supposed to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada