Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 09:27 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I get you buddy but it is what it is, Haiti is a Latin American country so therefore BK can continue smiling and gettin giddy with excitement that Montreal is the most Latin American/Hispanic city in all of Canada. YIPPIE... WOOHOOO <backflips>
Who is BK? lol

Whats wrong with being happy about having the most Latinos? Torontonians and Vancouverites are always boasting about the variety of noodles and curries they can get in their cities. Its nice to be a bit different from the Canadian norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 09:38 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Who is BK? lol

Whats wrong with being happy about having the most Latinos? Torontonians and Vancouverites are always boasting about the variety of noodles and curries they can get in their cities. Its nice to be a bit different from the Canadian norm.
Goode pointe!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:

Well you're the one who said you didn't include Haitians - without that group Toronto still has more. There are plenty of Latin American, Caribbean and other places to get grub in T.O that doesn't include noodles and curries - you know that right - I mean you know about the sizable Italian, Portuguese and other Euro diaspora's in T.O too right? Sure South and East Asian populations are high in the GTA but they represent about 2.2-2.5 million of 6.5 million - sizable but not the majority or everyone so whoever is talking to you just about curries and noodles don't know T.O.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-11-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Well you're the one who said you didn't include Haitians - without that group Toronto still has more. There are plenty of Latin American, Caribbean and other places to get grub in T.O that doesn't include noodles and curries - you know that right - I mean you know about the sizable Italian, Portuguese and other Euro diaspora's in T.O too right? Sure South and East Asian populations are high in the GTA but they represent about 2.2-2.5 million of 6.5 million - sizable but not the majority or everyone so whoever is talking to you just about curries and noodles don't know T.O.
Lol Calm down dude. MTL has a more noticable Latin community period. Go ask Haitians if they consider themselves Latino.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Lol Calm down dude. MTL has a more noticable Latin community period. Go ask Haitians if they consider themselves Latino.
How do you gauge calmness online lol.. Never figured that out. Also you were the one who referenced Toronto with just Curries and Noodles not me. I simply said that if you think that's what the city's culinary scene is like think again and be more open minded. It was good advice actually and yes, there is a good latin culinary scene too. I'm not trying to make an argument that TO's latin scene is more 'noticeable' or 'palpaple' but even if it isn't doesn't invalid it or the size of the Latin American community here. I even explained the reasons why earlier and essentially agreed with you so who needs to calm down.

Regarding Haitians I admit to being caught off guard with that group. They are but a small speck of the population here and I actually honestly don't know any. I did indeed read more about them and they are considered part of Latin America. Whether they consider themselves that, I really don't know. Maybe QC Opec or AJ could expand on that.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 10:34 AM

518 posts, read 397,811 times
Quote:

Regarding Haitians I admit to being caught off guard with that group. They are but a small speck of the population here and I actually honestly don't know any. I did indeed read more about them and they are considered part of Latin America. Whether they consider themselves that, I really don't know. Maybe QC Opec or AJ could expand on that.
Of course, Haitians are Latin Americans.
The term "Latin American" initially even was used to primarily describe Haiti, Martinique and Guadeluope, and Hispanic Countries and Brazil were included in this term.

"Latin America[a] is the group of countries and dependencies in the Americas where Romance languages are predominant. The term originated in 19th century France to consider French-speaking territories in the Americas along with the larger group of countries where Spanish and Portuguese languages prevailed. It is therefore broader than the terms Ibero-America or Hispanic America—though it usually excludes French Canada.

The idea that a part of the Americas has a linguistic affinity with the Romance cultures as a whole can be traced back to the 1830s, in the writing of the French Saint-Simonian Michel Chevalier.
The idea later was taken up by Latin American intellectuals and political leaders of the mid- and late-nineteenth century, who no longer looked to Spain or Portugal as cultural models, but rather to France.[10] The term was first used in Paris in an 1856 conference by the Chilean politician Francisco Bilbao[11] and the same year by the Colombian writer José María Torres Caicedo in his poem "Two Americas".[12]
The term Latin America was supported by the French Empire of Napoleon III during the French invasion of Mexico as a way to include France among countries with influence in the Americas and to exclude Anglophone countries."

It is written in Haitian history books that Haiti was the independent Latin American country and Haitians are proud to be the first independent LA nation.
Also, don't forget - it is ultimately Haiti, Guadeloupe and Martinique that distinguishes Latin America from Ibero America. Latin America is called Latin America for a reason, and not Ibero America. Without Haiti, Guadeloupe and Maritnique, Latin America would be...Ibero America. Haiti may be small, but it is indispensable for the term Latin America.
Haitians will, first and foremost, identify as Haitians rather than Latino just like Brazilians will first and foremost identify as Brazilian. Some will also identify first as Latino and point out why Haiti needs to be classified as Latino.

I cannot generalize for Haitians how they identify. This video shows that some approve of being Latino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptKrK2fIv0

It is important not to take over US-America's stereoptype of a cliché Latino: A Brown skin color Mexican, who speaks Spanish. Latino is more than this and Haitians know that.

I, for example identify only as Québécois and I don't identify as Canadian at all. I don't even identify with the term "French Canadian"...with "French" yes, with Canadian: no. Canada is for me only English Canada. And French Canadians are francophones outside of Québec for me.
My capital is Québec. Ottawa is for me a bizarre bureaucratic structure like is Brussels for most Europeans, within the European Union, outside of Belgium. I feel equally European and North American. One of my suggestions has always been that, as long as Québec is not granted independence, Canadas has to be renamend into Canada and Québec, like Bosnia and Hercegovina. Or St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Then I could accept the state's name. I am even so generous that I would accept Canada being mentioned first before Québec in the new nation's name Canada and Québec, since I recognize that Anglos are the majority...so their name has the right to appear first, maybe one should also use the Latin word for "and", so that the state's name may appear neutral. Moreover, I oppose high-rise buildings in Montréal to keep it more in touch with traditional European skylines.

Nevertheless, by official defintions I am classified as Canadian...even if I don't like it. I guess I can't force other countries to classify me as Québécois...

Let's not forget, Haitans in Montréal might as well identify not only as Haitian or Latino, but maybe only as Québécois, or Canadian, or Caribbean or Black Caribbean or a mix. Various ways are possible.

anyway, this topic actually is about Hispanics. Just to remind you all

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 05-13-2018 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

It is important not to take over US-America's stereoptype of a cliché Latino: A Brown skin color Mexican, who speaks Spanish. Latino is more than this and Haitians know that.
Yeah because Haitians totally identify with their black, mulatto and white neighbors in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Go to MTL , NYC or Miami and tell Haitians they are Latino.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 05-13-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 AM

518 posts, read 397,811 times
Quote:
Yeah because Haitians totally identify with their black, mulatto and white neighbors in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Go to MTL , NYC or Miami and tell Haitians they are Latino.
If Haitians attended a Latino festival event in, let's say Miami, and found out that only Spanish is spoken at this event, they will associate Latino with Hispanic and will less likely identify as Latino.

Avant tout, il faudrait rétablir Haïti dans le concert des nations latino-américaines, en lui donnant la place qu’il mérite. Il s’agit de revendiquer l’histoire d’Haïti comme étant partie intégrante de l’histoire latino-américaine. Ce n’est pas sans raison que la majorité des citoyens latino-américains ne considère pas les Haïtiens comme des « latinos », c’est-à-dire, comme des membres à part entière de l’Amérique Latine. L’exclusion « bolivarienne » de l’un des pays fondateurs d’une « latinoaméricanité » libre et indépendante continue.
Haïti en Amérique Latine*: Un revenant à invoquer ou une histoire à revendiquer*?

= when (some) Haitians don't identify as Latino, that's because they were told by (some) Hispanic Latinos that they are not Latinos, because (some) Latinos use being Hispanic as a basis for defining who Latino is or not. The labelling comes first, and their identification second. That's called cultural misrepresentation and principle of majority rule with marginalization of minority groups.
As I said, there is the US-American cliché stereotype of what a Latino typically is and Hispanics are a majority group within the superordinate term Latin American, that's why less noted minority groups within this term, might prefer to use subordinate or other terms to distinguish themselves from the majority group. Some Irish people of the Republic of Ireland, don't like Ireland to be called "one of British Isles", instead they want it to be called... "Ireland". Still, it doesn't change the fact, that Ireland is a British Isle, as is Haiti a Latin American country and there will be Haitian people who will identify as Latin American. Also the Domician Republic is a good example that Haiti is Latin American, they are neighbor countries and share many similarities.

Dominicans and Cubans are Hispanic and Latin American; Haitians are not Hispanic, but they are Latin American.

When some Black US-American citizens hear from other white US-American citizens statements like "you are not US-American! because you don't have the skin color like most us", some of them will less likely identify as American US citizens because they feel excluded by the majority group. The same applies to the treatment of Haitians by other Latinos, even though Haitians are Latinos.

In my opinion, it is utterly wrong not to consider Haitians as Latin Americans, because it basically enforces the principle of majority rule with marginalization of minority groups.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Folks like the Alt Right are looking for justification for their views - putting the cart before the horse.
[/url]
No doubt. The same can also be said of the pro-multiculturalism, pro-feminist, anti-patriarchy Left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And actually, there is more genetic variation WITHIN races rather than between members of different races. Race is really more of a social construct.
[/url]
Put a pure-blooded Irish man, Chinese man, Yoruba man side by side in the same room and even a young child could tell them apart.

It is true that there is more genetic diversity within than across races. However, it is also true that there are genetic differences between the races, like IQ (European = 100, Chinese = 105, sub-Saharan African = 70). So, not all Chinese are smarter than all sub-Saharan Africans, but on average the Chinese have a much higher IQ than sub-Saharan Africans.

Last edited by johnson_city1; 05-13-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 12:35 PM

You clearly have not spent any time around Haitians. They can decide for themselves and most would not consider themselves Latinos culturally. In fact, most get upset when Latinos do try to categorize them as Latinos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
If Haitians attended a Latino festival event in, let's say Miami, and found out that only Spanish is spoken at this event, they will associate Latino with Hispanic and will less likely identify as Latino.

Avant tout, il faudrait rétablir Haïti dans le concert des nations latino-américaines, en lui donnant la place qu’il mérite. Il s’agit de revendiquer l’histoire d’Haïti comme étant partie intégrante de l’histoire latino-américaine. Ce n’est pas sans raison que la majorité des citoyens latino-américains ne considère pas les Haïtiens comme des « latinos », c’est-à-dire, comme des membres à part entière de l’Amérique Latine. L’exclusion « bolivarienne » de l’un des pays fondateurs d’une « latinoaméricanité » libre et indépendante continue.
Haïti en Amérique Latine*: Un revenant à invoquer ou une histoire à revendiquer*?

= when (some) Haitians don't identify as Latino, that's because they were told by (some) Hispanic Latinos that they are not Latinos, because (some) Latinos use being Hispanic as a basis for defining who Latino is or not. The labelling comes first, and their identification second. That's called cultural misrepresentation and principle of majority rule with marginalization of minority groups.
As I said, there is the US-American cliché stereotype of what a Latino typically is and Hispanics are a majority group within the superordinate term Latin American, that's why less noted minority groups within this term, might prefer to use subordinate or other terms to distinguish themselves from the majority group. Some Irish people of the Republic of Ireland, don't like Ireland to be called "one of British Isles", instead they want it to be called... "Ireland". Still, it doesn't change the fact, that Ireland is a British Isle, as is Haiti a Latin American country and there will be Haitian people who will identify as Latin American. Also the Domician Republic is a good example that Haiti is Latin American, they are neighbor countries and share many similarities.

Dominicans and Cubans are Hispanic and Latin American; Haitians are not Hispanic, but they are Latin American.

When some Black US-American citizens hear from other white US-American citizens statements like "you are not US-American! because you don't have the skin color like most us", some of them will less likely identify as American US citizens because they feel excluded by the majority group. The same applies to the treatment of Haitians by other Latinos, even though Haitians are Latinos.

In my opinion, it is utterly wrong not to consider Haitians as Latin Americans, because it basically enforces the principle of majority rule with marginalization of minority groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada