U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Reputation: 7283

Advertisements

The Latin Americans that I know here in Vancouver immigrated for love. Canada isn't really on their radar.

Yes weather was an adjustment, but they have actually taken to it now and they really seem to love Canada. They've taken up camping, and watch hockey for example. One guy said he feels secure here. He doesn't feel the government is out to get him, but seems to want to try. I half jokingly told him to wait. most governments eventually P*** you off LOL.

There is a Mexican family that live in my building. They too have adjusted very well. Sweet, sweet people with adorable children and yes the son plays hockey

We even have a small Día de Muertos celebration in Vancouver since we seem to have more and more immigrants that celebrate it. I love having these type of cultural influences...especially the cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM
 
Location: DC area
82 posts, read 50,389 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If forced to pick and choose, personally they're one of the immigrant groups I wouldn't mind to see "pour into" Canada.
Be careful what you wish for...

I have to say I love Latin American culture. I grew up in Maine, but got the adventure bug after high school and went to the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus for undergraduate (B.S.) studies and studied and socialized there entirely in Spanish. I travel to the Lower Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville area) and just came back from a trip to Southeast Arizona (Nogales, Naco, Patagonia...). I will probably move there when I am independently wealthy (aka "retirement"). I've also traveled to Tamaulipas and Sonora (Mexico). The people in Mexico are among the warmest, friendliest I've ever met.

However, the U.S. does have an immigration problem and a wall might not be a bad idea. Canada gets the cream of the crop from Latin America, the U.S. does not. I've read academic stuff that one reason the divide between rich and poor in this country has grown so is because of the massive influx of "Hispanics" (a term invented by the U.S. Feds). They don't seem to have the upward mobility of previous immigrant waves. They even have characteristics of developing into a caste, especially in California (which has by far the highest poverty rate in the U.S.). Jason Richwine, who did his Harvard PhD thesis on IQ and Immigration, was beat silly by the liberal educated elite because he challenged their belief that IQ is not 100% environmentally determined. They didn't mind ruining his career because he challenged their sacred cows. He found that IQ among "Hispanic" immigrants stalled and actually declined by the 3rd generation. If you take race/ethnicity out of the equation, most geneticists state that IQ is between 40% and 60% inherited. But when race/ethnicity are mentioned, IQ is 100% environmental. That's how the game works. Take race/ethnicity out of the equation again, and social scientists have found a strong correlation between IQ and educational and professional attainment. Put race/ethnicity in, then the problem becomes "structural" or other forms of racism. There are also great disparities of criminality between "Hispanics" and non-"Hispanic" whites, according to Federal and other crime statistics.

I was listening to a woman who owned a B&B in Nogales, AZ. She makes a lot of money boarding pregnant women from Mexico. It's a "long-term investment" she says. They have their baby and when the baby turns 18, s/he can sponsor mommy and daddy, and then the rest of the extended family, to become U.S. citizens. Of course, there are thousands of others who cross the border illegally every week. Their U.S.-born children are automatic citizens and, as such, qualify for welfare. Many of these illegal immigrant parents avail themselves of this benefit for their children. Who can blame them? Free stuff!!!

Last edited by phaneuf; 05-04-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 04:01 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
Be careful what you wish for...
Good points. People in Europe often rant about Trump and his politics barring access to Hispanic immigrants, and about how much they would rather have them over African and Muslim immigrants. I live in Socal and I can say both these communities unexpectedly have a lot in common. Violence, crime, lack of integration etc.
I think the way Canada does it is the way to go. Emigration is never as successful as when kept in small numbers, because it facilitates integration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,611,493 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
Be careful what you wish for...

I have to say I love Latin American culture. I grew up in Maine, but got the adventure bug after high school and went to the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras campus for undergraduate (B.S.) studies and studied and socialized there entirely in Spanish. I travel to the Lower Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville area) and just came back from a trip to Southeast Arizona (Nogales, Naco, Patagonia...). I will probably move there when I am independently wealthy (aka "retirement"). I've also traveled to Tamaulipas and Sonora (Mexico). The people in Mexico are among the warmest, friendliest I've ever met.

However, the U.S. does have an immigration problem and a wall might not be a bad idea. Canada gets the cream of the crop from Latin America, the U.S. does not. I've read academic stuff that one reason the divide between rich and poor in this country has grown so is because of the massive influx of "Hispanics" (a term invented by the U.S. Feds). They don't seem to have the upward mobility of previous immigrant waves. They even have characteristics of developing into a caste, especially in California (which has by far the highest poverty rate in the U.S.). Jason Richwine, who did his Harvard PhD thesis on IQ and Immigration, was beat silly by the liberal educated elite because he challenged their belief that IQ is not 100% environmentally determined. They didn't mind ruining his career because he challenged their sacred cows. He found that IQ among "Hispanic" immigrants stalled and actually declined by the 3rd generation. If you take race/ethnicity out of the equation, most geneticists state that IQ is between 40% and 60% inherited. But when race/ethnicity are mentioned, IQ is 100% environmental. That's how the game works. Take race/ethnicity out of the equation again, and social scientists have found a strong correlation between IQ and educational and professional attainment. Put race/ethnicity in, then the problem becomes "structural" or other forms of racism. There are also great disparities of criminality between "Hispanics" and non-"Hispanic" whites, according to Federal and other crime statistics.

I was listening to a woman who owned a B&B in Nogales, AZ. She makes a lot of money boarding pregnant women from Mexico. It's a "long-term investment" she says. They have their baby and when the baby turns 18, s/he can sponsor mommy and daddy, and then the rest of the extended family, to become U.S. citizens. Of course, there are thousands of others who cross the border illegally every week. Their U.S.-born children are automatic citizens and, as such, qualify for welfare. Many of these illegal immigrant parents avail themselves of this benefit for their children. Who can blame them? Free stuff!!!

Actually, Richwine was fired by the Heritage Foundation. They're elite but they're definitely not liberal. For Canadians. Heritage is a think tank analogous to the Fraser Institute, except more extreme and more influential on government policy.

He's also used sources from "race scientists" like J. Philippe Rushton. Trying to use pseudo science methodology to argue that a certain group has lower IQ? It's no wonder that white nationalists like Jared Taylor love quoting his "work."

Sounds like the old "anchor baby" myth.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/09/02/anchor-baby-myth

https://www.vox.com/2016/3/28/11284116/birth-tourism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: DC area
82 posts, read 50,389 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, Richwine was fired by the Heritage Foundation. They're elite but they're definitely not liberal. For Canadians. Heritage is a think tank analogous to the Fraser Institute, except more extreme and more influential on government policy.

He's also used sources from "race scientists" like J. Philippe Rushton. Trying to use pseudo science methodology to argue that a certain group has lower IQ? It's no wonder that white nationalists like Jared Taylor love quoting his "work."

Sounds like the old "anchor baby" myth.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/09/02/anchor-baby-myth

https://www.vox.com/2016/3/28/11284116/birth-tourism
Myth?, even the non-partisan Pew Foundation has documented the magnitude of the phenomenon: Number of babies born in U.S. to unauthorized immigrants declines | Pew Research Center. Fortunately, the *problem* is declining, along with lowered rates of illegal immigration... if the stats are to be believed. Still, an equivalent to the total population of Tulsa, OK comes into the world as anchor babies each year in the US: https://www.citylab.com/life/2015/09...easing/405202/.

I was not aware of Richwine's demise at Heritage Foundation. He must have done something to really **** them off. From what I read of his dissertation, it is sound by contemporary scientific methods. The main problem, from what I can see, is the subject matter.

I've watched videos of J. Philippe Rushton debating with others in public forums. It is funny to see how his detractors (and there are many) try to railroad him by resorting to theatrics, emotionalism, but very little reason. I think he was even being charged at one time for hate crimes in Ontario because of the subject matter his research... not his scientific methodology, but his subject matter. Canada also has lots of sacred cows, taboos...

Last edited by phaneuf; 05-04-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Reputation: 3257
That's right Canada. Keep these dumb violent Latinos out. They completely ruined the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 06:35 PM
 
Location: DC area
82 posts, read 50,389 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That's right Canada. Keep these dumb violent Latinos out. They completely ruined the US.
That would be the conclusion, I guess, if followed logically. I notice the predominantly Mexican-American areas along the border... Brownsville (TX), McAllen (TX), Douglas (AZ), Nogales, (AZ) are very poor and lag in socioeconomic measures across the board, but I still enjoy visiting and being in these places. The people I like, the food I like, and the music I like. There's certain conservatism among these people that is also attractive... a focus on church, family, caring for one another. So what if all of them aren't sharpest tools in the shed, academically speaking. I wish I were smarter!, but I can't beat myself up. I know lot of people from border communities that have gone on in lucrative careers. Maybe I will, too, one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada has 37 million people. Nearly 800,000 of them are Hispanics representing over 20 nationalities from around the world. Out of those nearly 800,000 Hispanics, more than half of them are from various Latin American nations.

South Asians, East Asians and European immigrants (that's including Spanish and Portuguese) played important roles in the settling of Canada but Latin Americans not so much because they didn't want to come to Canada. They could have come if they had wanted to, and they can still come if they want to and if they qualify. Eligibility to immigrate to Canada is based on qualifications that all immigrants from anywhere must meet. So Latin Americans are welcome to come to Canada if they wish but like everyone else they must meet all the same qualifications that all immigrants from everywhere else in the world have to meet in order to be eligible to immigrate to Canada.

But Latin Americans are NOT very keen on coming to Canada to live permanently and I think that not many of them would consider it even if they qualified with flying colours and bells and whistles. As has already been mentioned above, most of them have grave concerns about the cold and a good number of the Latin American Canadians that I have met here have expressed to me that the Canadian climate is the thing that they are most disappointed with. Several of them have gone back home to where they came from because they particularly couldn't tolerate the Canadian winters, it actually made them physically ill and very depressed and they were truly suffering. So it is not all just anecdotal hearsay about the climate that keeps so many of them away from Canada. I think that many Latin Americans genuinely have a very unhealthy physiological and mental reaction to northern climes which are so different from what they were born into and many cannot acclimate themselves to the north even if they desperately want to stay in Canada.

With regard to your mention of America I have this to say. Canada doesn't need to try to differentiate itself from America. Canada already is and always has been different from America and it always will be different from America. It's a mistake for you to try to compare Canada and America with each other in the matter of their respective immigration policies and the types of immigrants that are in both countries. There is no comparison. It is what it is.


.
I don’t think you are right about the cold. Chicago for example has more Hispanic people in its city limits than the entirety of Canada, and there are many many more in the metro area. It’s a cold place with long snowy winters, yet so many Hispanics live there. Not really different than Toronto in terms of climate, and much colder than say British Columbia.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/09...es-in-chicago/

Plus, it stands to reason that if Latin Americans have problems with colder climates due to where they are from, other groups from warm/tropical climates would also be similarly afflicted, but that does not appear to be the case in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,854 posts, read 3,417,733 times
Reputation: 1801
You wont find Puerto Ricans coming in droves to Canada because as a U.S. Territory, they can already easily settle on the U.S. Mainland. Still it is kind of interesting that not more Hispanics from other places are emigrating to Canada but there are likely obvious reasons such as lack of family ties, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You wont find Puerto Ricans coming in droves to Canada because as a U.S. Territory, they can already easily settle on the U.S. Mainland. Still it is kind of interesting that not more Hispanics from other places are emigrating to Canada but there are likely obvious reasons such as lack of family ties, etc.
It should also be noted that the Hispanic population in Canada is definitely growing, it’s just not explosive growth like you saw in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top