U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2018, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
I definitely see the connection between Latin America and Quebec. .
A large part of it is due to society's Catholic heritage - even if it's lapsed in everyday life it's still there under the surface.

Even groups that are Middle Eastern in origin like Lebanese Maronites (who are technically a Catholic "branch") have fit into francophone Québécois society extremely seamlessly over the years.

Of course there are the Italians whose integration has been hit and miss even though they are Catholic and their language was closely related to French. A significant proportion of them veered towards English largely due to an eagerness to get ahead in North America - this was also related to the specific period when most of them immigrated to Quebec. What's interesting about them is contrary to certain other groups in the days before Bill 101 most of them actually learned French, and pretty much interacted with francophones in French (as opposed to trying to compel them to speak English to them). But they were still fussy about holding onto their English as a (perceived) key to success in "America".

I find a lot of Italian Montrealers today function trilingually, and it's non uncommon to use Italian for certain aspects of life, French for another and English for another. Often all in the same day.

Say, Italian around the dinner table with the family, French at the office and when out shopping and errands, and English when chilling with your friends.

I know a ton of people like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2018, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,899 posts, read 2,725,320 times
Reputation: 5079
Interesting map showing country of origin of Canadian immigrant population:

Immigrant population in Canada, 2016 Census of Population

25.7% immigrated to Canada prior to 1981.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 12:59 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
I definitely see the connection between Latin America and Quebec.
Other than French and Spanish having Latin as a common ancestor, I don't see much commonality between Québec and Latin America. The history, mentality, culture are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Other than French and Spanish having Latin as a common ancestor, I don't see much commonality between Québec and Latin America. The history, mentality, culture are very different.
One might not assume this at first glance but as I mentioned above Latinos and Québécois generally get along really well and when Latinos move here they quickly fit in fairly seamlessly.

If you polled the population of Quebec about which immigrants fit in the best here they'd probably be up there near the top of the list with the French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 01:24 PM
 
410 posts, read 183,053 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One might not assume this at first glance but as I mentioned above Latinos and Québécois generally get along really well and when Latinos move here they quickly fit in fairly seamlessly.

If you polled the population of Quebec about which immigrants fit in the best here they'd probably be up there near the top of the list with the French.
Hispanic integration has not been a problem in Québec probably because there is hardly any to integrate. Wait until they get there en masse and phones prompt users to press 1 for Espanish, then we'll see how Québéquois feel about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Hispanic integration has not been a problem in Québec probably because there is hardly any to integrate. Wait until they get there en masse and phones prompt users to press 1 for Espanish, then we'll see how Québéquois feel about that.
"For English press 9" is already an issue for some people here!

Anyway... long story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/11...c_press_9.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 03:23 PM
 
473 posts, read 172,372 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Hispanic integration has not been a problem in Québec probably because there is hardly any to integrate. Wait until they get there en masse and phones prompt users to press 1 for Espanish, then we'll see how Québéquois feel about that.
As long as the Hispanics will not integrate into the Anglo community and attend French university; as long as the Hispanics will say bonjour instead of hello and speak in French in stores; as long as the number for Spanish services will be announced not before general French instruction, it will be fine.

Well, if the numbers became as high as in Los Angeles or Miami... we certainly wouldn't be pleased.

However, I suppose Hispanics will not have to press 1 for it...this number will be reserved for Arabic. Maybe they will have Number 2

Just by the way, it's called Québécois. Quoi means what, is a separate word not related to Québécois.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One might not assume this at first glance but as I mentioned above Latinos and Québécois generally get along really well and when Latinos move here they quickly fit in fairly seamlessly.

If you polled the population of Quebec about which immigrants fit in the best here they'd probably be up there near the top of the list with the French.
I also think Hispanics are among the best-integrated (after francophone Europeans), they are better integrated than the Italian community. Can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

This basically confirms that English is deemed as superior to French, even within Québec and that all the important stuff is first and foremost delivered in English... It's a shame, the English option should not come first, it's a shame to see that Canada's language hierarchy is mirrored in Québec.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Other than French and Spanish having Latin as a common ancestor, I don't see much commonality between Québec and Latin America. The history, mentality, culture are very different.
I can think of a few more similarities:

- both Québec and Latin America have mutual dislike for US-imperialism
- while Québec is not a super socialist province, it is more socialist than other Canadian provinces: it has the second-lowest tuition fees (I think Newfoundland has the lowest, but they only have like 1 university and need to be low-cost to attract people from the rest of Canada, otherwise barely anyone would come there) and subsidized daycare; socialist slogans are popular like in Latin America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

I can think of a few more similarities:

- both Québec and Latin America have mutual dislike for US-imperialism
- while Québec is not a super socialist province, it is more socialist than other Canadian provinces: it has the second-lowest tuition fees (I think Newfoundland has the lowest, but they only have like 1 university and need to be low-cost to attract people from the rest of Canada, otherwise barely anyone would come there) and subsidized daycare
And of course the legacy of pervasive Catholicism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2018, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post




This basically confirms that English is deemed as superior to French, even within Québec and that all the important stuff is first and foremost delivered in English... It's a shame, the English option should not come first, it's a shame to see that Canada's language hierarchy is mirrored in Québec.

I think this may have been changed - the article is from over 10 years ago. At least it was likely changed for Quebec government services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top