Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If cold weather was a big factor in immigration, there wouldn't be so much Filipino immigration to Manitoba. Tagalog speakers on the rise in Manitoba, across Prairies: census | CBC News
They're desperate and as the alternative might involve being abused and mistreated in some Persian Gulf state, Canada is a treat for them. For the less desperate or those who aren't really desperate at all, it isn't nearly as much of a treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
What qualifications do the South Asians and East Asians have, that Latin Americans cannot possibly have?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What qualifications do the South Asians and East Asians have, that Latin Americans cannot possibly have?
English proficiency, if not fluency, and university degrees. These aren't the border hoppers that the United States has to deal with 24/7/365.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't think Canada is trying to favour some ethnic groups over others, I think it more has to do with which groups have larger shares of people who are able to meet Canada's immigration requirements. There could also be more awareness in these circles about Canada as a place to immigrate. In the Latin American world - the U.S in on the mind as a place to immigrate a lot more than Canada. Closer proximity to Latin America, larger population and history play a role in that obviously - the U.S now has a massive Hispanic population and these things tend to attract and multiply - same with Canada and East Asian and South Asian. Is this something we could do more about re latin American Immigration - perhaps I really don't know but I don't think there is any effort to curb immigration from Latin America in favour of other parts of the world.. That all said, the latin American community in cities like Montreal and Toronto aren't exactly insignificant either. There are also large communities of Caribbean and Guyanese immigrants in Canada. Many of them are well rooted in our country and are second and even third generation Canadian.
When did Canada start getting South Asian immigrants?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Correct. I doubt very much that Canada is intentionally turning away potential immigrants from its embassies and consulates in Latin America. Rather, I think that Latin Americans are not even considering Canada as a place to emigrate to. Just a guess, but I'd think that many already have friends and family in the US, so getting there would likely be more on their minds than going to Canada. Add to that the commonly-accepted myth among non-Canadians that, "Canada is a land of ice and snow, all year round," and you'll attract few people from the Latin American tropics.

That hasn't deterred immigrants from non-Western-Hemisphere places such as Asia or Africa, or even Australia, but it does seem to come into play with Latin Americans. Anecdotal only, but I think it fits: "My friends and family back in Costa Rica thought I was crazy for wanting to move to Canada," one local friend, originally from Costa Rica, told me. "They thought I'd freeze to death because of the cold." He liked it here, and did well locally, but could not convince anybody from Costa Rica to come here, because they were afraid of the cold that they thought was here. As he related it, even his retelling of experiences of summers here could not shake that belief.
I doubt that. Canada is pretty progressive, and the economy is good.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Larger numbers of South Asians began to arrive in Canada during the early 1970s, I believe. They may have been here before then, of course, but something makes me think it was on Pierre Trudeau's watch that South Asians started coming to Canada in meaningful numbers.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Most Hispanics in the US come from neighboring countries Mexico, Central America, Cuba, mostly. It's a way shorter trip than to have to cross the entire USA to reach Canada. Also, immigrants attract more immigrants. Most Hispanics already known someone at their destination, a relative, a friend etc. Last but not least, Canada's weather is not very appealing to Hispanics used to tropical weather.
Canada is very far, and much further to South and East Asia than it is to Mexico, or Central America.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
Of course, I can. I use the following definition for a Hispanic:
A person whose native or everyday language is Spanish.

I never referred to Latin Americans, the category Latin American also includes people from Brazil, a Portugese-speaking multiethnical country of over 200 million inhabitants.

I only refer to Hispanics. This topic is about Hispanics, not Latin Americans, don't forget that.

Here are my official sources from Statistics Canada for Montréal:

Les langues immigrantes au Canada

Here you can clearly see that Spanish is the second-most often spoken immigrant language in Grand Montréal, whereas East/South Asian languages dominate in Vancouver and Toronto. Spanish means Espagnol in French.

Another source for Québec:
Census Profile, 2016 Census - Quebec [Province] and Canada [Country]

32% of all Hispanic migrants of Canada live in Québec. (145 000 of 458 000)
That's more than Québec's population share within Canada, which makes Québec to have a significant Hispanic population.
So, you see, Québec and Montréal are the most Hispanic, while the rest of Canada is much less.
I meant people from Latin America, spanish speaking americas.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

South Asian immigrants came to work in Canada starting in 1903, in Vancouver. By the end of 1908 there were 5,209 South Asian men working in British Columbia, about half of whom later returned after their work was completed to their homes and families in their countries of origin. The wives and dependent children of those South Asian Canadian residents who remained in Canada commenced to immigrate in 1919 to join their husbands and by the mid-1920s a small flow of wives and children had been established. Moderate expansion of immigration gradually increased to other parts of Canada and the South Asian Canadian total was 6,774 by 1961, then it grew to 67,925 by 1971. By 2011 the South Asian population in Canada was 1,567,400.

East Asians started immigrating to British Columbia first in 1858 and after a few years more started immigrating to other parts of Canada.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-06-2018 at 11:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 12:30 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson_city1 View Post
The so-called Alt-Right does get a lot of inspiration from these guys... mainly because these guys address some unresolved societal issues. In that rarefied world of academia, professionals are pretty smug on the belief that all races are created equally, in all things. It is a tenet of multiculturalism, which finds its greatest support in U.S. and Canada's universities. Academia has a lock down on the debate -- so of course these guys would find audiences. All one has to do is open their eyes and look around to see that there are indeed racial differences. And a lot of people are tired of hearing that it is all whitey's fault that non-whites aren't on parity with whites in all things (especially if you haven't seen your standard of living improve in the last 10 years).

People from the high plains of East Africa are excellent long distance runners. They have long slender limbs (the average white guy carries around an added 10lbs around the calves -- you try to run with that!) and different lung capacities. Around 20% of African American bodies reject organ transplants from white organ donors. If we can begin to acknowledge that there are real biological differences among the races, why cannot we even consider that just maybe there are different mental abilities.
Uh, no.

Folks like the Alt Right are looking for justification for their views - putting the cart before the horse. Kind of like writing your own conclusion first and looking for justification. That's not scientific research.

And actually, there is more genetic variation WITHIN races rather than between members of different races. Race is really more of a social construct.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...y-people-think

East African prowess in running isn't necessarily due to genetics; it's probably also environmental, cultural and the community more so...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...than-physical/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada