Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
What I meant is that the Mennonites who came to Canada from Russia were from the Volga region. I think we are talking about the same population.

I studied a bit of Plautdietsch (from McCaffrey's Wi Leahre Plautdietsch: A Beginner's Guide to Mennonite Low German) and have a copy of De Bibel, the Bible in Plautdietsch. I've heard it on YouTube. I know Standard German and Dutch. Plautdietsch seems to be between the two, but closer to the German.

“Velot die opp däm Harn met dien gaunzet Hoat, un velot die nich opp dien ieejnet Vestaunt.” (Spricha 3:5)
No, the Mennonites who came to Canada weren't from the Volga region. The original two colonies were on the Molotschna River and the Dniepr.

ETA: colonies branched out from those two colonies and were referred to as daughter colonies and there were a couple of colonies in the Volga area, which may be why you describe it that way, but they were minor colonies, and wouldn't account for a description of Canada-bound Russian Mennonites being described as being from the Volga area.

Last edited by netwit; 06-05-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM

631 posts, read 556,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've never heard of anything like that. Would you have a link?

You may be confusing another law and conflating drug smuggling with citizenship. ’28-year rule’ catches hundreds who had Canadian citizenship revoked | Vancouver Sun
It's been several years... and so now I'm having to rely on memory (which in all likelihood has become corrupt)... and with no "online story" found to "back me up".

For what it's worth, here's a CBC article on drug smuggling by Mennonites from Mexico in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...king-1.2626314.

Immigration Canada limited the "citizenship by descent" legal clause in 2009. I had been under the impression that this was partially in response to the problem of drug smuggling by the Mennonites, but I'm sure it is much more complicated.

Last edited by 2ner; 06-05-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada