Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:27 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes I am, Acajack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 09:18 AM

631 posts, read 561,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm sorry that some Americans have treated you like that. Please remember, this is a big country like Canada but much more populous. You ran into a bag egg. I ran into that sort of thing went I went on a Bahamas cruise and it was from southerners. They said right up front that they weren't even going to speak to me because I was from the north and we have different politics. They even seemed to regard me with suspicion and it made me feel weirdly uncomfortable. Later I realized that most of the people on that cruise ship were from the deep south and had just driven a couple of hours to FL to get the cruise. To them it was a conveniently close vacation destination. That's why the atmosphere on the cruise was so hostile. I had come from a long distance to take that cruise.

They didn't seem like Americans to me. They didn't want to follow the rules of the ship, wouldn't talk to anyone who didn't agree with them. I think we needed some Canadians on board for good company! I think probably the northern section of the US has much more of a bond with Canada that we do with the southern part of the USA. From doing genealogy, I know that many ancestors went from New England to Canada where their descendants are probably still living. So there are family ties to Canada.
Growing up in Maine and spending time with my mom's side of the family in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, I agree that people there are very similar to each other on both sides of the border.

However, Southerners are not so bad or disagreeable... and they are a diverse bunch. I've lived in Columbia, SC; New Orleans; Athens, GA; Atlanta; and Lafayette, LA. Even within each region there is a lot of cultural and individual diversity. South Carolina is the most *Southern* place I've lived in. New Orleans does not feel Southern at all... working-class whites sound like they're from New York, most New Orleanians are Catholic, a lot are descended from Catholic immigrants from Europe. The city is much more live and let live than the rest of the South. Athens, GA is a liberal stronghold. It brought us R.E.M. and The B-52s after all. Atlanta has attracted so many Northerners and international immigrants that it is not really culturally Southern. Where would U.S. capitalism be without it? Lafayette, like New Orleans, is predominantly Catholic (the rest of the South is mostly Baptist). People are friendly, easy-going. Locals value their local food (which is great), music (which is also great), and love their music-filled, dancing-filled, food-filled festivals.

Last edited by 2ner; 06-14-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 04:08 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Canadians are very thankful to Trump's people for allowing them to cross the border to obtain crucial items, such as shoes, which can then be smuggled back to Canada.

What do you think? Is the hostility growing?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I don't think it's hostility as much as impatience and shock with the level of stupidity being consistently demonstrated by certain portions of the US population.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I don't think it's hostility as much as impatience and shock with the level of stupidity being consistently demonstrated by certain portions of the US population.
It's shocking that Trump is all over the news making announcements that Canadians need to smuggle shoes into Canada from the USA, which implies that Canadians either don't have shoes, or they can't afford shoes. I will take the time going forward to ensure that I do not buy any USA products.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:08 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It's shocking that Trump is all over the news making announcements that Canadians need to smuggle shoes into Canada from the USA, which implies that Canadians either don't have shoes, or they can't afford shoes. I will take the time going forward to ensure that I do not buy any USA products.
I was baffled as Canadian duty on American made shoes is ZERO.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/c...uty-calculator

So I did a search and found this: https://slate.com/business/2018/06/t...explained.html

Quote:
Trump was almost certainly referring to an article recently published in the New York Post in which Isabel Vincent, a Canadian expat living in New York, wrote about the tradition of Canadians traveling across the border to shop. But Trump seems to have conflated anecdotes about shoes and outdoor equipment, thus synthesizing the bizarre image of frugal Ontarians scuffing their new Nikes to save a few bucks on customs duties.
The anecdote:

Quote:
A Toronto-based designer I know purchased two pairs of shoes (retail $800 each) online from a midtown department store and shipped them to my office. The Italian contraband sat under my desk for weeks until I could entrust them to a carrier who would be crossing the border. I finally convinced my nephew who had been visiting New York to stuff them into his back-pack and rendezvous with the designer in Toronto for the drop-off. My friend saved $159.59 in combined federal and provincial taxes, and $187.26 in estimated customs charges.
The reason customs duty would have been charged was because the shoes were manufactured in Italy.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was baffled as Canadian duty on American made shoes is ZERO.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/c...uty-calculator

So I did a search and found this: https://slate.com/business/2018/06/t...explained.html

The anecdote:
The reason customs duty would have been charged was because the shoes were manufactured in Italy.
The craziest part is that people in the USA actually believe what Trump says. I have a really hard time understanding how so many people are unable to think for themselves, or question absurd claims made by Trump.

I've always viewed overly religious people as prone to believing rather than questioning, and I have to wonder if that is the problem with the 350,000,000 people who gave Trump their voice. With each day that passes, I realize that Canadians have next to nothing in common with people in the USA.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:25 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
That by the way is a quintessential New England trait.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Omg, yes! I lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts. Originally from Montreal, I talked to *everyone* but in CT and MA that was not the way things were done. I broke 'em, though! I made friends of them, whether they wanted it or not.
Ha,Ha..You think they became friends I bet when you left for new parts unknown,they said ,in a low voice " what a blabber mouth " lol

Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The craziest part is that people in the USA actually believe what Trump says. I have a really hard time understanding how so many people are unable to think for themselves, or question absurd claims made by Trump.

I've always viewed overly religious people as prone to believing rather than questioning, and I have to wonder if that is the problem with the 350,000,000 people who gave Trump their voice. With each day that passes, I realize that Canadians have next to nothing in common with people in the USA.
Oh I don't know about your last paragraph . I live in New Hampshire and many many folks here have relations north of the border..Everyone on my Mothers side are in Canada,she being from Labrador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada