Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM

54 posts, read 49,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Probably because the U.S. has less Muslims percentage wise than Canada and Western Europe, and also that most Muslims living/immigrating to the U.S. tend to be wealthier and more educated (far less) dependent on social welfare than Canada and European counterpart.
This overlooks that the US still has a large percentage of Muslims living in socioeconomically backwards conditions. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are also far poorer than Indians and Sri Lankans.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Canada is arguably the most Muslim-friendly country in the western world.

I mean just look at who is leading Canada vs who leads the U.S.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 PM

54 posts, read 49,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada is arguably the most Muslim-friendly country in the western world.

I mean just look at who is leading Canada vs who leads the U.S.
The majority of opinion polls actually suggest that Canada is the most Islamophobic country in the West.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opini...ticle37591538/
Canadians don’t want an anti-Islamophobia day: poll | Toronto Sun
Islamophobia is a systemic problem in Canada: expert
http://www.dailysabah.com/opinion/20...sing-in-canada
Anti-Muslim sentiment higher in Quebec than rest of Canada, study finds | CBC News

Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowonder201812345 View Post

The majority of opinion polls actually suggest that Canada is the most Islamophobic country in the West.

I guess it's just as well that they're only opinions, eh?

But now you have me wondering - Is that suggestion (accusation?) what this thread is really about? Not about America, but about Canada?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
I find that hard to believe. I agree with Acajack, Canada is likely the most friendly nation towards Muslims, at least in the Western world. Under Trump, the US has taken a number of steps that have angered the Muslim community, such as the 2017 travel ban that exclusively featured countries where Islam was the dominant religion, the embassy move to Jerusalem and arguably the withdrawal from the Iran deal, though admittedly the last one is more debatable.

That's not to say that there isn't any Islamophobia in Canada.

I might agree with the notion that Europe these days is more Islamophobic then the US though, but not Canada.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
According to most Canadians, Muslims can do no wrong and are innocent liberals open to every one. The province of Ontario recently created islamic heritage month. I recently asked a coworker from Ontario why can't Hispanics have a heritage month too, they said we are not the states. If I was Muslim there is no other country I would rather live in. Whites, Jews, Indians, Chinese and Muslims run Canada. Everybody else is not important.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Which of these are opinion polls comparing Canada to the rest of the western world?

Islamaphobic exists and I'm sure it's rising. Some people, ironically enough, who see their own people experiencing prejudice, are quite open to be prejudiced and bigoted themselves. Human nature, apparently.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
According to most Canadians, Muslims can do no wrong and are innocent liberals open to every one. The province of Ontario recently created islamic heritage month. I recently asked a coworker from Ontario why can't Hispanics have a heritage month too, they said we are not the states. If I was Muslim there is no other country I would rather live in. Whites, Jews, Indians, Chinese and Muslims run Canada. Everybody else is not important.
According to most Canadians? How many have you surveyed?

If you are looking to be a victim, you can always find a reason.

As for celebrating your cultural heritage or your religion, nothing is stopping you. Why do you feel it important to have an official declaration from the government to do so? Is there some sort of government financial handout involved?

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

If you are looking to be a victim, you can always find a reason.
This a very common attitude Canadians have towards most minorities.

Quote:
As for celebrating your cultural heritage or your religion, nothing is stopping you. Why do you feel it important to have an official declaration from the government to do so?
No, I actually don't think it is important. Though I do think it is shame Canadians view some as important and others not so much.

Quote:
Is there some sort of government financial handout involved?
Again this is what most Canadians think of minorities.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This a very common attitude Canadians have towards most minorities.

No, I actually don't think it is important. Though I do think it is shame Canadians view some as important and others not so much.

Again this is what most Canadians think of minorities.
Again with the generalities. Your perception is of course your reality but your perception is based on observing what percentage of the total population?

I don’t understand what you want from other Canadians. An interest in your culture? My father was an immigrant. I am a little sad that I can’t identify with the culture he came from, can’t speak the language, etc. I guess I don’t feel an obligation to show more interest in the cultures of strangers than I have in my own father’s culture. Sometimes I’m genuinely interested, sometimes just mildly curious, sometimes just bored.

I don’t equate my degree of interest in someone’s culture with my perception of their value as human beings. To me those are separate things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada