Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Da! I thought everyone knew he was a Russian!
Guess what? There are still enough of us around up here inCanada that KNOW QuebecOpec is Full of propaganda .. and unless he/she is a schooled FLQ/Separatist of OLD ..YEPPER!! I agree 100%!!

Meanwhile, there are far too many folks that are too YOUNG to know better!! It'sup to those who KNOW better, actually lived thru the historical facts.. I'd be wiling to bet they have ZERO knowledge of the HISTORICAL facts behind the "Trudeau Family History"!! much less know Quebec Citizens who were directly affected back then!

So, Yes, there is presently evildoer's amongst Data driven blog sites as what BACK then, those evildoers who plotted to do unspeakable destruction/murders/abductions back in the day! . I actually lived there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

..... There are multiple reviews from different persons that express the same opinion: ......

I'm not interested in only the biased reviews that you cherry pick based on your own prejudice. I prefer to go to a link to see all of the reviews from Amazon so I can choose for myself which ones of them are most knowledgeable and credible reviews.

You didn't provide the link to the reviews (which you should have done) so I'm doing it so other readers can choose for themselves too ...... here it is (all 26 pages of reviews):
https://www.amazon.com/Plutocrats-Ri...1?pageNumber=1

Old 09-13-2018, 09:32 AM

518 posts, read 397,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm not interested in only the biased reviews that you cherry pick based on your own prejudice. I prefer to go to a link to see all of the reviews from Amazon so I can choose for myself which ones of them are most knowledgeable and credible reviews.

You didn't provide the link to the reviews (which you should have done) so I'm doing it so other readers can choose for themselves too ...... here it is (all 26 pages of reviews):

Readers of QuebecOpec's post can always rest assured that they read high quality posts, that are objective, unbiased and in accordance with scientific standards and City-data forum rules. Furthermore QuebecOpec's post are presenting a perspective that goes beyond the censorship of mainstream media's information flow, thus QO is highly appreciated among advocates of the truly free press.

I did not provide a link to the reviews because linking to the Amazon's book product page could be interpreted as an advertisement and advertising is prohibited by the City-data forum rules, which I always obey.

It is typical for you to give no credibility to posts/reviews/etc. and dismiss them as biased or foolish, for the simple reason that you dislike them and that they oppose your world view.

The review titled "The new dance around the golden calf" (previously quoted) by the user Spilka has been rated as the second most helpful review out of all reviews. 156 people judged it as helpful.
The review says that Freeland shows sympathy for the ultra-rich and is defending them and justifies their wealth.
"Whenever Freeland enters to magical environs of the plutocrats and listens to their outrageous defense of their life-style, she becomes almost mute. She seems to be walking on egg-shells, hardly ever challenging their vacuous chatter and at times slightly nodding in support of it."

The most helpful review (168 judged it as helpful) is positive towards the book, yet it does neither deny nor confirm the statements of the second most helpful review, it simply does net refer to these aspects in first place.
Amazon does not sort and list reviews by "most helpful", that's why both the most and second most helpful review are only to be found on page 20 out of 26 pages. Still, any reader can see below the review how many people judged it as helpful and compare it to all other reviews and get a total overview.

Six out of the Top 10 of the most helpful reviews confirm that Freeland is rather in favor of the ultra-rich and admiring them.

These are two further quotes from the Top 7 of the most helpful reviews from two different Reviewers:

"A more appropriate title for this book would have been "Celebrating the Rise of Plutocrats, The Hell With Everyone Else". [...] If you want to read a book that speaks only about success stories of the few who prosper due to hard work, privileged education and a little bit of nepotism, then this book is for you. If you want to learn about the other 98% of the worlds hard working people who are subject to the injustice and oppression of Crony Capitalism, corporate lobbyists and banking monopolies I suggest you left click your mouse on a different icon and hightail your way off this page."

"It’s difficult to know what to make of this book. It won a batch of prizes, so it must be important. She had access to the plutocrats she writes about, and she seems to admire them. In an NPR interview, she says her superrich people “did it themselves.""

I'm also providing links to these reviews, so that Zoisite won't accuse me of making it not transparent:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=0143124064 (second most helpful review)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=0143124064 (Top 7 helpful review)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=0143124064 (Top 7 helpful review)

- This post does neither advertise nor endorse Freeland's book. (In fact, it is critical of it) Since she is the Canadian minister of Foreign Affairs, her book has some relevance for the Canada forum and thus links to the reviews were inserted.
This post uses her book solely to show that Freeland is defending the ultra-rich; fascinated by their lifestyles; is friends with ultra-rich people; supportive of their strategies and that if she ever became Canadian PM, that her policies would further widen the gap between (ultra-)rich Canadiands and lower income Canadians. -

I invite all readers to make up their own minds.
I invite all users to decide how likely it is whether a member who is member of a neoliberal party, received elite education, promotes further liberalization and the interests of rich people and wrote such a book, will step up for the interests of lower income Canadians.

Every reader can now choose whether they agree on my remarks, have a different opinion or follow Zoisite's path of denial & dismissal.

( + This is my 300th post now here on CD. Something to celebrate.
I am popping a bottle of finest French wine now.
Everyone's invited to get a taste of paradise. Acajack, 509, do you want to have a glass of Moët & Chandon or Blanchet Chardonnay? )

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 09-13-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
The fact that you use more than the default font color makes me automatically dismiss all your posts.

It's just how I roll.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:11 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
( + This is my 300th post now here on CD. Something to celebrate.
I am popping a bottle of finest French wine now.
Everyone's invited to get a taste of paradise. Acajack, 509, do you want to have a glass of Moët & Chandon or Blanchet Chardonnay? )
At least it's not Moskovskaya!

Old 09-13-2018, 10:14 AM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
I read all the time. Never in my life have I seen someone use Amazon customer reviews to such a degree in an attempt to bolster an argument.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:

Readers of QuebecOpec's post can always rest assured that they read high quality posts, that are objective, unbiased and in accordance with scientific standards and City-data forum rules. Furthermore QuebecOpec's post are presenting a perspective that goes beyond the censorship of mainstream media's information flow, thus QO is highly appreciated among advocates of the truly free press.........

QO, I am happy to see that you are sometimes capable of a sense of humour.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I’ll bite

in fact the USA provides entertainment contents for the entire world...

As for for First Nations, I don’t think the USA has done much better in terms of treatment.
Disagree with first statement - in fact, most of the comedians are Canadian, many film stars, and major Film Producers like James Cameron .... see this list

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000070032/

Some individuals I have never heard of, and some surprised even me. I disagree with Martin Short being #1 on this list. There are many more likeable, funny and famous Canadians further down on the list.

Regarding first Nations, not only did we treat our own indigenous people very poorly, we even imported indigenous people from another area of the world and heaped even more abuse on them as well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada