U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,603,555 times

Advertisements

The Canadian Immigration website says that US citizens can spend up to 6 months a year in Canada. I live in Michigan and when I cross the border into Canada on shopping or tourist trips, it's pretty simple with only a few basic questions. If I were planning to stay in Canada as a tourist for 6 months, would it be more complicated at the border? Would I have to fill out forms at the border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Border crossing issues almost always depend on the mood of the officer you deal with, and whether or not your answers trigger suspicions.

That being said, if you tell a Border Services officer you're coming to canada for 6 months, I would think it likely that officer would ask some questions regarding your destination(s), planned method of support, etc. . You may be asked to provide proof that you have a permanent residence in the US and intend to return there.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM

30 posts, read 118,021 times
If you were US citizens & self employed (internet based) and had secured Canadian housing with a one year lease. Is that allowable? One of us would be applying for citizenship during that year.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfull View Post
If you were US citizens & self employed (internet based) and had secured Canadian housing with a one year lease. Is that allowable? One of us would be applying for citizenship during that year.

When anyone, US citizens included, enters Canada representing themselves as a visitor, the expectation is that they are in Canada on a temporary, non-commercial basis and will be leaving Canada to return to their country of residence within a finite period of time.

Securing Canadian housing and planning on applying for Permanent Resident's would not fulfill the parameters of a visitor visa as you have no plans exiting Canada to return to your country of residence.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM

888 posts, read 651,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
When anyone, US citizens included, enters Canada representing themselves as a visitor, the expectation is that they are in Canada on a temporary, non-commercial basis and will be leaving Canada to return to their country of residence within a finite period of time.

Securing Canadian housing and planning on applying for Permanent Resident's would not fulfill the parameters of a visitor visa as you have no plans exiting Canada to return to your country of residence.
This is correct, however it all depends on how you look at it.
There is nothing wrong with going to Canada as a visitor for 6 months in order to decide if you want to apply for permanent residence upon your return to the States. In fact, I would STRONGLY recommend to live in Canada first before deciding to commit to a Permanent Residence status. The PR process is long and it is a serious issue. To go for Canadian PR is not a decision to be taken lightly. It would be awful to have gone through the entire bueaucratic and financial hassle of getting PR and then finding out you did not like it and returned home to the States. There are many who have done this. Besides, having Canadian PR means that you want to integrate into Canadian culture - even eventually becoming a citizen. These are serious commitments to consider. Visiting for a few weeks is not the same as living. If you can support yourself as a tourist for 6 months without working in Canada, then I say you can be a visitor there for 6 months to check the place out.

Finally, nothing is stopping a prospective employer from offering you a job when you get there on the TN Visa, provided your job is on the list. It might have not been your intention to find work when you were there - but Canada is a free country, you cannot stop an employer from becoming enamoured with you and therefore offering you a chance to change your visitor status to a TN Visa work permit status.

Once you have been on TN Visa status and you want to stay in Canada, you may decide to retain an immigration lawyer from within Canada, and he/she will help you to apply for PR Status on a TN Visa from within the country.

I am not a lawyer, but I have been in contact in the past with an immigration lawyer in Canada. It is possible.

1) while visiting, join business and social networking clubs, etc.
2) all work you do for income while visiting, it should not be local clients
3) once you get your TN visa, work your a** off, and if you like Canada, hire an attorney.
4) If you are a US citizen, the fees for applying for advice on applying for a PR while on a TN are quite reasonable. You could do it yourself, but why be a cheapskate if it means assuring that you are within the law. It helps, should anyone question you.
5) If you are a cheapskate, don't bother going to Canada, taxes are quite high (I paid 43% marginal while living in QC), and trying to beat the TN to PR system on the cheap makes you look cheap to the authorities.
6) Canada is an awesome country, but if you would feel deeply offended if people from Canada criticized the US to your face, you might not be able to handle living there.
7) Running away to Canada to escape GWB is not necessarily a good reason.

Canada is a lot different from the States, but I am glad it is. But, I truly integrated while I was there, and never missed the States. Others I have known could not even handle it for 6 months and left for the "good ol' usa", which they thought was superior.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,081 times
QUESTION: I have been to Canada on 3 different visits for 6 month periods at a time to stay and live with my boyfriend (we aren't ready to take the big step). Usually I go back to the U.S. for 6 months during winter, but its getting harder and harder to stay away from him. I recently went from March 2010- September 2010. How long do I have to be in the U.S. for until I can go back?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM

3,858 posts, read 6,129,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittinieIA View Post
QUESTION: I have been to Canada on 3 different visits for 6 month periods at a time to stay and live with my boyfriend (we aren't ready to take the big step). Usually I go back to the U.S. for 6 months during winter, but its getting harder and harder to stay away from him. I recently went from March 2010- September 2010. How long do I have to be in the U.S. for until I can go back?
Your crossing history and story could make the border guard suspect that you don't intend to leave in 6 months. You run the risk of being denied entry to Canada - permanently. IMHO - get married or move on.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,012,148 times
I know I'm going to get the "blue in the face" award for saying this. again.
Corporate Immigration Law | Canadian Immigration Lawyers | United States Immigration Lawyers | Toronto | Vancouver | Bellingham
irrespective of the excellent comments in this thread (thanks to all of the above) if something happens (boyfriend fight; neighbor (neighbour in Canada) doesn't like you; you make a pot buy (not at Walmart; raising golden gerbils under suspicious circumstances and your presence gets called to the cops/border it will never be disclosed as to the source or their motivation, and you will find yourself precluded for five or ten years or permanently. Step up or move on

Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 AM

8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times
You can only be in Canada 182 days out of a 365 day period. Break it up however you want. It doesn't reset with the calendar year.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 PM

4,057 posts, read 9,104,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Border crossing issues almost always depend on the mood of the officer you deal with, and whether or not your answers trigger suspicions.

That being said, if you tell a Border Services officer you're coming to canada for 6 months, I would think it likely that officer would ask some questions regarding your destination(s), planned method of support, etc. . You may be asked to provide proof that you have a permanent residence in the US and intend to return there.
Cornerguy has some good info here. If you are not of retirement age they will be much more suspicious as to what you will be doing in Canada (work is not allowed) and they will want to know why you are coming in, what you're going to do, where you're going to stay etc. You are required to give them exact addresses if asked (I am often asked by the US gov't).

A permanent US address and a reason to return is crucial (a Canadian friend of mine was denied access to the US in the fall, he's about 60 or so and he spends every winter in the US but the guard decided not to allow him in as his CAD home is a seasonal trailer and not considered permanent).

As Cornerguy said, the mood of the border guard will determine everything. It could be a breeze or a major hassle, be ready for either. No matter what, be nice and kiss their butts (and of course don't bring anything illegal like guns etc. with you)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or