Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:34 PM

8,849 posts, read 11,641,249 times

Advertisements

While it is true that a US President can not interfere with the judicial process, he can pardon people for offenses against the USA. Indeed Trump does have a say in the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 01:48 PM

7,646 posts, read 5,416,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
While it is true that a US President can not interfere with the judicial process, he can pardon people for offenses against the USA. Indeed Trump does have a say in the matter.
Nothing to pardon... yet. She hasn’t been convicted of a crime. I doubt she would want to risk a trial based on a Trump promise of a pardon. He lies all the time and he may not even be in office when/if conviction occurs. I expect Meng to successfully delay extradition for several months and if there is a trial, I expect the results won’t be known for several months after that.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Nothing to pardon... yet. She hasn’t been convicted of a crime. I doubt she would want to risk a trial based on a Trump promise of a pardon. He lies all the time and he may not even be in office when/if conviction occurs. I expect Meng to successfully delay extradition for several months and if there is a trial, I expect the results won’t be known for several months after that.
People have been pardoned preemptively without any conviction. If China wants their citizen back and is willing to trade something for her, this incident will soon be over and forgotten. It appears that they tried the kidnapping approach to force Canada to trade her for the Canadians.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.fb72e18a65d7

Quote:
Even before Garland, President Abraham Lincoln (among others) pardoned dozens of people — including alleged traitors — preemptively. More recently, President Jimmy Carter pardoned hundreds of thousands of Vietnam draft evaders, including those who had not been charged or convicted. And, most famously, President Gerald Ford pardoned President Richard Nixon, who had not yet been charged with anything.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,361,261 times
Quote:
People have been pardoned preemptively without any conviction. The details would be worked out between the US, China, and Canada. If China wants their citizen back and is willing to trade something for her, this incident will soon be over and forgotten.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.fb72e18a65d7
To all but the Canadian citizens kidnapped by China whose welfare will not factor, and quite probably get lost, in any Trump-shuffle done to benefit the U.S. alone.

I say we delay, delay and obfuscate giving the U.S. no place in the discussions until Trump is gone.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,345,218 times
One thing is for sure, Canada is between a rock and a hard place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7phmcC5Tg&app=desktop

Canada needs to think about the mistakes made in the past and correct them. America is not your friend, America is your master. You are a vassel.

Get used to it or America will bring you democracy.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,734,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
To all but the Canadian citizens kidnapped by China whose welfare will not factor, and quite probably get lost, in any Trump-shuffle done to benefit the U.S. alone.

I say we delay, delay and obfuscate giving the U.S. no place in the discussions until Trump is gone.
I have no doubt that's what will happen. On Tuesday there was a lawyerly type (I don't recall his role in the case) who was briefly interviewed by TV news reporters in front of the court house. He emphatically stated that Meng will need to learn to enjoy our west coast weather because the likelihood is she will be confined to Vancouver for many, many months to come, possibly even for several years, before her situation reaches an outcome.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Please spare me the patronizing tone and the cheap high school civic lesson.....this is clearly a political issue and Canada could have opted to stay out of it letting this woman slip away, (furthermore, she broke no Canadian law), let her post bail (that work as a strong reminder of not putting a foot in Canadian soil again) or whatever.....believing that there was "no other way" is simply naive....well, now accept the consequences...
Patronizing? Sorry you feel that way, but you put that on yourself.

Still, I don't think you understand the position Canada was/is in. Extradition treaties MEAN something.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
One thing is for sure, Canada is between a rock and a hard place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7phmcC5Tg&app=desktop

Canada needs to think about the mistakes made in the past and correct them. America is not your friend, America is your master. You are a vassel.

Get used to it or America will bring you democracy.

For your own sake you need to quit drinking and dispensing the koolaid nonsense. Intelligent people with good critical thinking skills don't give any credibility to The Duran. In case you aren't aware, The Duran is an online news and opinion source who have been rated as having an extreme right wing propagandist bias. There is plenty of evidence they have posted misleading information and have perpetuated some conspiracies. If you insist on peddling their biased bigotry and fake news you should go peddle it somewhere else, you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

No, it's a bad idea. This move will only insure more sufferings for the Canadians held captive and life more dangerous and risky for Canadians in China. I can't believe you are willing to put more Canadians at risk out of spite for Trump.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, it's a bad idea. This move will only insure more sufferings for the Canadians held captive and life more dangerous and risky for Canadians in China. I can't believe you are willing to put more Canadians at risk out of spite for Trump.

I have a hard time accepting the fact that some people willingly approve of Trump trying to treat people like human trafficking commodities for the sake of making American trade deals with other countries.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada