U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've seen this. Even on British shows where Canadians assume they know Canada, they don't, I've watched talk show hosts mention so and so is from Madison, Wisconsin, but there next guest is from Canada, sometimes not even a city is given.
You also sometimes get people shown as being from "Ontario, Canada" as if it was a city and not a province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:57 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You also sometimes get people shown as being from "Ontario, Canada" as if it was a city and not a province.
I think we have all seen those Jeopardy show clips where they just throw out any Canadian place name that they know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujvFhJ3d6A

Old 01-30-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, it seems to me that that question can be answered with, "When the sun sets in Canada."

More seriously, I like Jack Daniel's and Crown Royal. I also like Maker's Mark and Forty Creek. Thing is, I find a lot of people nowadays don't know how to drink whisky--they want to mix it with something. No, whisky is meant for sipping straight; or perhaps with a little water and/or an ice cube. Definitely not Coke or Sprite or any other carbonated soft drink.

The only exception is Canadian Club. That stuff needs help desperately, and the only thing that can improve it is ginger ale.
LOL

Mind you, this show was years ago. It was a soap opera. I don't and didn't watch soaps, it was just that I once worked in a place where the only lounge for workers had a TV, that was controlled by people who watched soaps.

I also remember this same soap that used that line, also had, AND I KID YOU NOT, the Calgary RCMP head office as a log cabin, with a French Canadian Fur trapper character either as a cop, or just someone the police called in to try and help??

The gist of the story was some American from New York City had a small plane crash somewhere between Alaska and Calgary, and the Canadians refused to do anything to help, so the New York friends had to hire their own helicopter to search for them Sigh. Hence, wondering what time it gets dark in Canada.

I remember it so well because it was both so ignorant and insulting. Especially since Canada spends millions searching for lost travellers etc.

I also seem to remember that the show got complains from Canadians, saying they were tired of being portrayed as backward hicks in a frozen wasteland with no resources to help people in trouble. It made the news I believe.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Nothing to see here...move along...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...jpg&ajaxhist=0

Old 01-30-2019, 07:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:
I think we have all seen those Jeopardy show clips where they just throw out any Canadian place name that they know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujvFhJ3d6A
I wonder why Canada pops up so often as subject matter on “Jeopardy”!

Old 01-30-2019, 10:21 PM

7,248 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder why Canada pops up so often as subject matter on “Jeopardy”!

Because Alex wants it as subject matter, and considering that Alex is one of TV Land's most famous philanthropists, contributors and promoters of global education, and has made Jeopardy! the great success that it is, what Alex wants Alex gets.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,753,611 times
Quote:
I also remember this same soap that used that line, also had, AND I KID YOU NOT, the Calgary RCMP head office as a log cabin, with a French Canadian Fur trapper character either as a cop, or just someone the police called in to try and help??

. . .

I remember it so well because it was both so ignorant and insulting. Especially since Canada spends millions searching for lost travellers etc.
Understood. An episode of That 70s Show had the kids drive to Canada (obviously Ontario, given that the show was set in Wisconsin), because there, they could legally buy beer. Which they did, and then the thing went off the rails to Canadian viewers.

When the kids tried to leave Ontario, Canada, and go back to the US, they were stopped at the border by the RCMP, for an exit control inspection, and not allowed to cross because Fez didn't have his green card. As you know, Nat, Canada has no exit controls (mistake 1); the RCMP does not staff the Canadian offices on the Canada-US border (mistake 2); and since there are no exit controls, nobody would care what document Fez would or would not have (mistake 3). The kids could just leave, and take their chances with US Customs.

There were two other mistakes also: the RCMP officers were in their bright red dress uniforms, instead of their everyday policing uniforms that you and I are familiar with; and--well, it was the RCMP. Which has no policing jurisdiction in Ontario. That's left to the Ontario Provincial Police, or municipal police forces. (The RCMP does operate in Ontario, but more as an investigating service, like the FBI.)

I know it was a sitcom, and the truth can be stretched a little for laughs, but the ignorance about Americans leaving Canada for the USA at a land crossing was astounding. You'd think that at least one of all those Canadians living and working in the Hollywood entertainment industry would have seen the script and said, "Folks, it's a great idea, but this is wayyyy too out there to be believable."

Old 01-31-2019, 01:01 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,753,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar! Chevy; you're a blast from the past! My grandfather ascribed to those exact Whiskey requirements and passed them down a generation to his sons who in turn indoctrinated his sons to adhere to those rules at risk of losing immeasurable respect. Grandad further opined, the only taste enhancers allowed for a single malt scotch or a better quality Whiskey was good company, an expensive cigar, a good leather chair and a crackling fireplace.

My brother and I are now of the age that, while adhering to those rules all our lives, are now able to fully appreciate their significance and set the pattern for our ever more infrequent reunions.
Now you've got me thinking, Bru. This past Christmas, Santa Claus was good enough to leave me a bottle of Bowmore Islay and a bottle of Oban 14, my fireplace is working, and I've got a well-stocked humidor at hand. Hmmm....

Old 01-31-2019, 07:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Because Alex wants it as subject matter, and considering that Alex is one of TV Land's most famous philanthropists, contributors and promoters of global education, and has made Jeopardy! the great success that it is, what Alex wants Alex gets.

I know perfectly well that Trebek is a proud son of Sudbury. I was trying to be funny, which flops more often than not.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Understood. An episode of That 70s Show had the kids drive to Canada (obviously Ontario, given that the show was set in Wisconsin), because there, they could legally buy beer. Which they did, and then the thing went off the rails to Canadian viewers.

When the kids tried to leave Ontario, Canada, and go back to the US, they were stopped at the border by the RCMP, for an exit control inspection, and not allowed to cross because Fez didn't have his green card. As you know, Nat, Canada has no exit controls (mistake 1); the RCMP does not staff the Canadian offices on the Canada-US border (mistake 2); and since there are no exit controls, nobody would care what document Fez would or would not have (mistake 3). The kids could just leave, and take their chances with US Customs.

There were two other mistakes also: the RCMP officers were in their bright red dress uniforms, instead of their everyday policing uniforms that you and I are familiar with; and--well, it was the RCMP. Which has no policing jurisdiction in Ontario. That's left to the Ontario Provincial Police, or municipal police forces. (The RCMP does operate in Ontario, but more as an investigating service, like the FBI.)

I know it was a sitcom, and the truth can be stretched a little for laughs, but the ignorance about Americans leaving Canada for the USA at a land crossing was astounding. You'd think that at least one of all those Canadians living and working in the Hollywood entertainment industry would have seen the script and said, "Folks, it's a great idea, but this is wayyyy too out there to be believable."
I remember that episode. There are lots of examples of other shows and movies as well. Sometimes shows like The Simpson's and South Park, are purposely throwing in Canadian stereotypes for a laugh. They are intentional and funny, because you know, they know, that you know etc

Fraser, for such a smart show, had a strange episode where they accidentally drove into Canada in an RV. Don't think that is possible.

You guessed it. They only knew they drove into Canada because the trading post they are in had a stuffed grizzly, used funny money.

As for ignorance of Americans leaving Canada, it still happens. On travel forums you will hear the odd American complain that the Canadian customs people were rude, except of course, they are American customs since they are leaving Canada. Few and far between thank god, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or