Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,484,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
“Michigan maple syrup is the best in the world.”

< running quickly away >
Yep, you'd better run away!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,343,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How about “Jack Daniels is better than Crown Royal”?
Sorry to say.. Jack Daniel's in my age group became know as"GUT ROT" which means it did't go down well and it caused discomfort to many who attempted to tryout back then!!

Never did acquire a taste for it!! I can only speak to how things were back then ~~ Unless Jack Daniels changed their recipe.. doubt it~~

TOO harsh for me!!

JMOO

Old 01-29-2019, 06:44 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm irritated when US based shows on TV names a place in Canada without including the province such as Ottawa, Canada, or Saskatchewan, Canada. Like they don't know that we have PROVINCES?

Yes, I imagine most of us have been asked if you know so-and-so from (fill in the city that is two days' drive away from where you live). It cracks me up. Hello, have you looked at a map lately?
Not naming the province doesn't bother me. Americans for the most part don't know Canada well enough to include the province, just like most Canadians don't say Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, but just Sydney, Australia.

What does make me laugh though when US TV shows get it terribly wrong. Years ago, on a a show the line was
" What time does it get dark in Canada". It wasn't a joke line either.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 AM

3,593 posts, read 3,330,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What does make me laugh though when US TV shows get it terribly wrong. Years ago, on a a show the line was " What time does it get dark in Canada". It wasn't a joke line either.
Well, it seems to me that that question can be answered with, "When the sun sets in Canada."

More seriously, I like Jack Daniel's and Crown Royal. I also like Maker's Mark and Forty Creek. Thing is, I find a lot of people nowadays don't know how to drink whisky--they want to mix it with something. No, whisky is meant for sipping straight; or perhaps with a little water and/or an ice cube. Definitely not Coke or Sprite or any other carbonated soft drink.

The only exception is Canadian Club. That stuff needs help desperately, and the only thing that can improve it is ginger ale.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Not naming the province doesn't bother me. Americans for the most part don't know Canada well enough to include the province, just like most Canadians don't say Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, but just Sydney, Australia.
And media around the world seem to ape what the Americans do on this.

Even if you're watching a program, movie or video produced in a non-U.S. country, it's common to have "Dallas, Texas" appear on the screen, and then a few minutes later see "Sydney, Australia" or "Toronto, Canada" or "Paris, France" as part of the same broadcast.

Implicit in there is that the U.S. is the default "home country" for everyone, and that its internal subdivisions are known to every person on the planet. Which if we're being honest... is kinda true of a lot of us.

Doesn't bother me that much, but it is another example of "America über alles".

Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,354,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, it seems to me that that question can be answered with, "When the sun sets in Canada."

More seriously, I like Jack Daniel's and Crown Royal. I also like Maker's Mark and Forty Creek. Thing is, I find a lot of people nowadays don't know how to drink whisky--they want to mix it with something. No, whisky is meant for sipping straight; or perhaps with a little water and/or an ice cube. Definitely not Coke or Sprite or any other carbonated soft drink.

The only exception is Canadian Club. That stuff needs help desperately, and the only thing that can improve it is ginger ale.
Haaar! Chevy; you're a blast from the past! My grandfather ascribed to those exact Whiskey requirements and passed them down a generation to his sons who in turn indoctrinated his sons to adhere to those rules at risk of losing immeasurable respect. Grandad further opined, the only taste enhancers allowed for a single malt scotch or a better quality Whiskey was good company, an expensive cigar, a good leather chair and a crackling fireplace.

My brother and I are now of the age that, while adhering to those rules all our lives, are now able to fully appreciate their significance and set the pattern for our ever more infrequent reunions.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

I was never a whisky drinker. I rarely drink hard alcohol anymore, beer and wine man know. THAT said, someone left a bottle of Crown Royal over Christmas. I many try some over ice. Maybe new beginnings!!

Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And media around the world seem to ape what the Americans do on this.

Even if you're watching a program, movie or video produced in a non-U.S. country, it's common to have "Dallas, Texas" appear on the screen, and then a few minutes later see "Sydney, Australia" or "Toronto, Canada" or "Paris, France" as part of the same broadcast.

Implicit in there is that the U.S. is the default "home country" for everyone, and that its internal subdivisions are known to every person on the planet. Which if we're being honest... is kinda true of a lot of us.

Doesn't bother me that much, but it is another example of "America über alles".
I've seen this. Even on British shows where Canadians assume they know Canada, they don't, I've watched talk show hosts mention so and so is from Madison, Wisconsin, but there next guest is from Canada, sometimes not even a city is given.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Getting back on topic, I know one thing that really bothers me as a Canadian. It's when you meet someone who had no idea that Canada was in the World Wars, or involved militarily anywhere. I can't speak for other nationalities, but this has only been said to me by Americans.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Getting back on topic, I know one thing that really bothers me as a Canadian. It's when you meet someone who had no idea that Canada was in the World Wars, or involved militarily anywhere. I can't speak for other nationalities, but this has only been said to me by Americans.
Yes, that's especially insulting.

It's pretty obvious to anyone who's familiar with the stuff that the Canadian contribution to the wars is virtually absent from the U.S.-driven media environment (movies, TV, books, magazines, etc.) about them.

Even some serious scholarly stuff from the U.S. often omits Canada's role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada